[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were American soldiers really dressed as rag-tag as they were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10
File: FURY-03.jpg (99 KB, 1201x765) Image search: [Google]
FURY-03.jpg
99 KB, 1201x765
Were American soldiers really dressed as rag-tag as they were presented in this movie? Are their uniforms authentic or was this a move by the director to make it look grittier? They looked like the marines from Alien.

Also how bullshit was pic related? Why didn't the dude go to a higher officer and go "This is like the second time I've seen a tank and now I've been assigned to one as a co-driver, surely there's been a fuck-up?"
>>
File: canadiankorea.jpg (129 KB, 515x498) Image search: [Google]
canadiankorea.jpg
129 KB, 515x498
There's always a big difference in deportment between the field and the rear echelon.
>>
100% uniformity was rarely a thing and people equipped themselves as they see fit/mission parameters.

Just look at the fact that Tonkers tied logs or sandbagged their hulls to nullify shaped charges. Factory buikt tanks dont come with those
>>
>>1145572
The "big battle" sequence was really stupid. Apart from that ok-movie, that tries hard to be this generation's Saving Private Ryan.
>>
I don't see what's ragtag about their uniforms. Those are standard tanker uniforms. They do look different from infantry uniforms, particularly the helmets, but they're authentic. The jackets might make it look a bit unusual compared to what you usually see in movies. As for the grit? No problem there. Troops could stay in their same uniforms for weeks at a time. Futhermore, tank interiors were covered from top to bottom with grease, so they'd get dirty very quickly. There are no historical problems here. Though I think it's more likely they would have found somebody who was more enthusiastic about doing it.

The movie had a lot of problems, but these weren't among them.
>>
>hollywood
>>
>>1145572
It is an American propaganda
>hey look how poorly dressed and equiped american militas can easily defeat well equiped and well dressed elite German soldiers
>>
>>1145922

well we were the underdogs of course :^)
>>
>>1145922
German elites were shit
>>
>>1145572

all soldiers were pretty rag tag, frontline soldiers especially, since they tended to pick up bits and pieces of gear here and their they liked. some guys even picked up enemy weapons if they liked them better (and could get the ammo). lots of germans ended up wearing ushankas and sporting ppsh41's, and even german paras made use of italian camo smocks (these were actually issued from italian stocks seized after their surrender).

the major reasons not to pick up enemy weapons en masse were lack of ammo (not a problem in russia given the large numbers of dead and captured ivans issued with ppsh41's) and potential for confusion if you look and sound too much like a guy you and your mates are trying to kill. nevertheless, it did happen.

pic related
>>
>>1146924

adds: this site is quite interesting: http://worldwartwo.filminspector.com/2015/07/captured-weapons-put-to-use.html
>>
>>1145572

If by "rag tag" you mean dirty and well worn, then yes, all front line troops would look like that, from any nation. And yes its true that American uniforms were not as /fa/ as the Germans, but it's also true that Americans were the best equipped army, from an actually practical standpoint.
>>
You get tired of wearing that clumsy metal mushroom on your head so obviously you take it off the first chance you get. Officers won't care because strict disciplin in regards to uniform and tidyness is something you slavishly follow in boot camp.

They should've looked dirtier becaise these guys would lie on their stomachs in dirt every day and there were no place or time to wash their uniforms, since they were on the move. Instead they decided to smear donkey shit on every actors face for this movie.

I remember reading some book from a German eastern front fighter (Guy Sayer I think). Upon capture the americans would literally try to act tough and make their face look like it. This movie speaks for that if nothing else.
>>
>>1146407
This. Polish soldiers were infinitely better.
>>
>>1145572

There's a reason they were nicknamed "dog faces."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQvYE8sbc8"
>>
>>1145922
The movie takes place in March 1945 when the cream of the Wehrmacht was blown apart years ago in Russia.

Calm down, you Prussia Pro.
>>
File: chocolatebar.webm (1016 KB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
chocolatebar.webm
1016 KB, 960x400
>>1145572
>>
>>1145922
I hate to break this to you, but a lot of your elite veterans of the eastern front and your well trained regular soldiers got their asses kicked by anglo-american forces in western europe.
>>
the americans had a problem post d day because they kept thinking the germans were about to surrender, so you had massive shortages of basic stuff like socks and boots on the front lines. more men, thousands, got taken out by trenchfoot and frostbite (including my own grandfather) at the bulge than by enemy action.

in addition the us was extremely bad about rotating troops, so they were left on the line far longer than they should have. dirt and depression was their way of life until the surrender.
>>
The closer you get to the front the more lax the enforcement on uniform regulations.

>>1145922
Did you even watch the movie? The Germans looked even worse. Historically accurate too, late war Wehrmacht and even SS were all sorts of fucked up.
>>
>>1145922
>elite
They lost
>>
File: indië.jpg (130 KB, 944x485) Image search: [Google]
indië.jpg
130 KB, 944x485
>>1145572
You should read some shit on the 30 years war m8

Soldiers are described as being almost all barefoot, with doublets in rags and trousers like hotpants.

Soldiers are quite pragmatic and will wear what they like and what they feel they need, I believe some Roman legionaries even ditched their armor when they couldn't be bothered to wear it or simply found something lighter and more comfy.
>>
>>1147893
>nein nein nein!! gobbles pull the elite super-duper waffen SS out of russia to fight das americans, who are the real force in this war
>>
File: Mariniers_in_jeep.jpg (760 KB, 1180x768) Image search: [Google]
Mariniers_in_jeep.jpg
760 KB, 1180x768
>>1148047
Oh by the way my Gramps served in Indonesia and was equipped with an Enfield and a Brodie helmet, he told me he tried to get an American helmet and thompson during the war because the former two things he got sucked balls compared to the latter, I believe he eventually got an American helmet (and no his superiors didn't give a fuck he wore a different one).
>>
>>1148055
But dude, that's precisely what they did. Not all at once, but they did have some large number of divisions in france when the allies landed there and they did it again during Market Garden and again at the Bulge.

Guess what? The Elite Panzer Truppen lost in the west.
>>
>>1147893
The Germans fought a brilliant defense though, all things considered. If the Soviets had been given the amount of resources the Western Allies had in Western Europe, they would've broken out of Normandy in a couple of weeks rather than two months of Anglo incompetence at Caen and failed American tactics in the bocage.
>>
File: shia-labeouf-fury-v3[1].jpg (238 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
shia-labeouf-fury-v3[1].jpg
238 KB, 2048x1536
>>1145572
>Are their uniforms authentic
Yeah, they're all accurate. Only thing that's questionable in my eyes is that Shia Labeouf's character has M1944 goggles, and it's still up in the air in historical communities whether M1944 goggles actually saw usage in WW2 or not. Although this is very late WW2 so it does allow a bit of leeway regarding the really late war gear.
>>
>>1148165
Aren't their vets around to answer that?
>>
>>1147893
Wehraboos have to go through many mental hoops in order to justify their precious unstoppable l337 SS units getting pummeled.

SS unit gets creamed on the Eastern Front:
>SLAVIC HUMAN WAVES! MUH K/D RATIO! RAN OUT OF SUPPLIES AND BOOLETS AFTER KILLING 600 GORRILLION T-34s!
>SUCH BRAVERY! HITLER DIDN'T LISTEN TO GENERALS! SOVIETS WERE INCOMPETENT BUTCHERS! GERMANY LAST STAND AGAINST BOLSHEVISM!

SS unit gets creamed on the Western Front:
>ALLIED AIRPOWER OP PLS NERF! SHERMAN A SHIT! MUH ALLIED WAR CRIMES!
>MUH CHIVALRY! OLD MEN AND CHILDREN! REAL FIGHT WAS IN THE EAST!

In 1940 the majority of the Wehrmacht was equipped with obsolete weapons and horses and won because the Allies were temporarily caught off guard
>SUPERIOR GERMAN EQUIPMENT! SUCH STRATEGY! DEUTSCHLAND STRONK!

In 1945 the majority of the Wehrmacht was equipped with obsolete weapons and horses and lost because the Allies were no longer off guard.
>TOOK ENTIRE WORLD TO TAKE DOWN GERMANY! MUH TECHNOLOGY! MUH RIGHTEOUS CAUSE!
>>
>>1148196
Vet accounts when it comes to fine details of gear are very dodgy. Especially now since it's been 71 years since 1945. The most you might get out of a vet today is probably "I remember wearing goggles", and maybe they might remember the general shape of the goggles. But then problem comes from that even if they remember the shape of it, the M1944 goggles share an almost exact look to the USAAF B-8 goggles which do have photographic evidence of use with tank crews, only difference is the B-8 goggles are a little smaller, they have a nose flange, and are lined with chamois. And then you have another problem because there was a sort of in-between style which was the same as the B-8 goggles but without chamois lining. So now to get an accurate statement from a vet to figure out what goggles he wore you have to ask him whether he remembers if he had goggles, whether he remembers the shape of the goggles, whether the goggles had a nose flange and whether it was lined with chamois or not.
>>
>>1148055
>Caen didn't happen
>Market Garden didn't happen
>The Bulge didn't happen
t. Prussia Pro
>>
>>1147710
Thats why they held on to Warsaw till the end of the war... wait...
>>
>>1145867
>not holy or woods
>>
>>1145572
The outfits themselves are very accurate, there was always some discrepancies but generally they got it dead on. It wasn't the outfits that really got to me in this film however. It was the tank itself. The easy eight Sherman was not deployed in Europe until 44-45 however they claim they where in that tank since north Africa in 42. It was also used wrong. The tiger scene really tickled my pickle. They fell for the old tiger meme. The 76 on the Sherman could easily kill a tiger from the front at the range depicted.
>>
>>1145922

This.

That ending battle was the stupidest shit ever

>We've got hundreds of elite German soldiers coming down this path! Let's ambush them!
>so far so good
>ambush goes as planned
>hours later and deep into the night, """""elite""""" German soldiers are still running over open terrain at the front of a tank that cannot move or pivot and getting mowed down by the dozens
>it takes the Germans *hours* to get their anti tank weapons and try to actually flank the fucking tank or even just go around it

That was so fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>1145572
This contemporary cartoon implies so.
>>
>>1148474
I am by no means a Wehraboo but man, you don't really have to be this mad, just stop.
>>
>>1145593
>Just look at the fact that Tonkers tied logs or sandbagged their hulls to nullify shaped charges
Logs were(ARE) for getting out of the mud.
>>
>>1148047
What are some good books? Yeah I know about that stuff, I just thought the truth looked more like SPR/BoB than Fury. The scene that stuck with me is after they are ambushed by the AT-guns and they kill the POW. The way the grunts are dressed there is what prompted me to make the thread.
>>
>>1148481
Just out of curiosity, why not just give everyone B-8's if the difference was negligible anyway?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.