[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were there ever a more loveable bunch of shitflinging rebels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: 1.jpg (25 KB, 400x251) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
25 KB, 400x251
Were there ever a more loveable bunch of shitflinging rebels than the IRA?

>All those catchy as fuck anti-British songs
>wacky IRA antics in between kneecappings and bombs
>The absolutely infinite salt of unionists and brits

I wish I was irish
>>
I don't know why the Irish have such a good reputation abroad if they're some of the scummiest, trashiest and dumbest people in Europe. Literally only Albanians are more retarded.
>>
You're basically heaping praise upon papist ISIS.
>>
>Targetting civillians
>Lovable

I want americans to leave
>>
>>1145206

People doestn like English that much.
>>
>>1145247

Right after you leave Ireland
>>
>>1145200

Best Terrorist Group ever:
>The FWA first appeared in public at a 1965 protest against the construction of the Llyn Celyn reservoir.[1] In 1966 they took part in Irish celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising, marching in Dublin.[2] A 1967 interview with David Frost brought the group to the attention of a wider audience.[3] The group courted publicity,[1] and its leaders attracted a great deal of media attention with extravagant claims of financial support from millionaires, "links with the IRA and Basque separatists," dogs trained to carry explosives, etc.[4] Members wore home-made uniforms and marched in historic sites like Machynlleth, as well as carrying out manoeuvres with small arms and explosives in the Welsh countryside and claiming responsibility for many of Mudiad Amddiffyn Cymru's bombings.[3][4][5] They also advocated for families of victims of the Aberfan disaster whose compensation claims were being blocked, "marching on their behalf and working behind the scenes for them."[1][4]
>>
>>1145326

>The group was generally not taken seriously by the media,[1] and one government memo warned against "taking the organisation's activities too seriously" saying this "would give to it an unmerited importance and publicity which its leaders are plainly seeking".[6] However, against a backdrop of Welsh nationalist bombings and protests against the investiture of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales the FWA presented an appealing target to the government, and in 1969 nine members were arrested and charged with public order offences.[4][5] The trial, in Swansea, lasted 53 days, ending on the day of the investiture.[5] On the first day of the trial the defendants were "greeted with an impromptu recital of Land of My Fathers from the public gallery."[4] Almost all of the prosecution's evidence came from journalists who had reported the group's claims.[4][5] Evans, his second-in-command, Dennis Coslett (who refused to speak English throughout the trial), and four other members were convicted; Evans and Coslett spent 15 months in jail.[4][7]
>>
>>1145200
up the fuckin RA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORifieiZiP4
>>
>>1145207
list the similarities between ISIS and the IRA if you can my heathen friend
>>
>>1145345
committing terrorist attacks?
>>
>>1145304
Doesn't mean you have to like their enemies that are even worse.
>>
>>1145359
>terrorist
completely subjective
try again
>>
>>1145360

They are just worse for the English, Irish are pretty nice to everyone else.
>>
>>1145365
>completely subjective

Not him, but no duh the Provos are/were terrorists. "Papist ISIS" is a retarded account of their motivations, though.
>>
>>1145383
how so

killing planters who squat on their land and oppress their people?
>>
>>1145200
fuck those commiepaddies
>>
>>1145360

Worse in what way?
>>
File: 1432406023866.png (83 KB, 356x313) Image search: [Google]
1432406023866.png
83 KB, 356x313
>>1145372
>Irish are pretty nice to everyone else.
You really think that? At one point they were seen to be as bad as niggers.
>>
>>1145390
>how so

I think it's the part where they used organised violence against civilians in order to bring about political results. Like terrorists do.
>>
>>1145402
They're dumb as fuck.
>>
File: 1436099320196.jpg (863 KB, 1107x609) Image search: [Google]
1436099320196.jpg
863 KB, 1107x609
>>1145408
At one point the world was an Anglo playpen
their era is ending
>>
>>1145412
so killing planters who squat on their land and oppress their people?
>>
>>1145412

But I thought the British government did the exact same thing in Ireland for hundreds of years, are they terrorists too?
>>
>>1145428
You can call it whatever you like, it's objectively terrorism.

>>1145431
>government
>terrorists

And yeah, they did use violence. So I guess if that's OK for the IRA, it must have been OK for the Brits, too.
>>
>>1145408
>as bad as niggers
>not just treated that way in protestant dominated ulster

REMINDER:
The IRA was founded on the idea of freeing the people in occupied Northern Ireland from British oppression, and they were oppressed as fuck.
The protestant dominated police force, the RUC, shat all over them on a regular basis. The civilians saw Catholics or irish nationalists as second-class citizens. Getting a job was hard as fuck, there were countless places an irish person couldn't go without getting knocked about or harassed, and life was generally a bit shit.

That said, about 10 nanoseconds into the conflict the IRA devolved into what was essentially a "noble" gang of thugs, with some people standing by the "kill the oppressors, not the innocent" but many, many more saying "kill anyone protestant/not living near me"

Radicalisation was common, especially once the black and tans showed up who were NOTORIOUS for civilian killing, as well as the rise of the unionist paramilitaries which were founded on "lets kill irish people I guess" regardless of whatever "defence" they said they were doing.

As such, the IRA splintered into countless subfactions with only a small majority upholding the original "help help I'm being oppressed" attitude.

tl;dr: Brits were cunts to irish in NI. Irish fought back against brit authorites. Irish kiddies got radicalised and started bombing willy nilly. Protestants got salty, starting bombing back. IRA split into smaller groups. Protestants stayed triggered eternally.
>>
>>1145437
>it's objectively terrorism.
according to who? terrorism is any violent military act committed without the consent of the government
any violent resistance to British/Unionist oppression would thus be considered terrorism
better to take it laying on your back though, amirite?

you kill a people who desire to kill your own people, who terrorize your own people, who commit atrocities against your own people
>>
>>1145453
They killed civilians too you cuck.
>>
>>1145453
>according to who

According to the relevant legal and lexical definitions of the word 'terrorism'.

>any violent resistance to British/Unionist oppression would thus be considered terrorism

Not necessarily. Given the comparatively benign scope of the oppression, however, then yes, in effect all violent attempts to overthrow British rule would constitute terrorism.

>better to take it laying on your back though, amirite

You are confused. You think that I am in some way weak and that you are in some way strong. But you are the weak one, because you cannot bear to think of yourself as supporting and condoning the actions of "terrorists". You are literally frightened of a word.

If you support the chuckies, go ahead and support them, it's no skin off my arse. But don't be a mewling fucking faggot about it; OWN the fact that you're supporting terrorism.
>>
>>1145475
never realized what a loose and shitty definition terrorism has, fair enough

chuckie r lah
>>
File: jamesjoyce.jpg (177 KB, 900x920) Image search: [Google]
jamesjoyce.jpg
177 KB, 900x920
>>1145206
>>1145415
Reminder that the best English-language book was written by an Irishman.
>>
>>1145206
>falling for the Irish IQ meme
>>
>>1145672
Reminder that according to the IQ meme Aristotle, Nikola Tesla and James Joyce were all subhuman.
>>
>>1145459
IRA killed the least civilians proportionally, in the whole conflict.
>>
>>1145701

No, the IRA only MURDERED poor defenceless INNOCENT people because they were VERY VERY BAD.

The most salient point I want people to understand about Northern Ireland, the first thing that springs to mind when the subject of Irish Vs. British conflict, is THAT THE IRA KILLED INNOCENT PEOPLE WITH BOMBS AND NOBODY SHOULD EVER VIEW THEM WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAT PURE DISGUSTED HATRED AND MORAL INDIGNATION. FUCK RATIONAL DISCUSSION, IM GETTING OFF ON MY OWN SENSE OF SMUG MORAL SUPEORITY WHICH IS BASED PURELY ON SEMANTIC DEFINITIONS OF RIGHT AND WRONG
>>
>>1145200
Fucking terrorists should have all been shot.
>>
File: 1436662644353.png (279 KB, 507x360) Image search: [Google]
1436662644353.png
279 KB, 507x360
>>1145737
they tried that for centuries
>>
>>1145737

But wouldn't that just create yet more "terrorists"?
>>
>>1145737
Because that worked so well in 1916.
>>
Irish Republican here.

Dad and uncles were Provos in the early 70's.

Ask me anything
>>
>>1145780
labhairt tú gaeilge?
>>
>>1145701
>the IRA were the tallest dwarf, proportionally
>>
>>1145701
Yup, of the three factions involved in the troubles the IRA killed the lowest number of civilians proportionally. The also killed less civilians as an absolute number than Loyalists. They were the faction that targeted civilians the least as a rule, most civilian deaths at the hands of the IRA were collateral damage. There are a few exceptions of course.

Also they didn't start the troubles, in fact they were extremely slow to get involved. Loyalists and security forces had been attacking Irish civilians since 1966, increasing in intensity in 1968. The IRA didn't get involved until 1970

There were no absolute "good guys" in this war, but the IRA were the least bad by far.
>>
>>1145701
IRA killed more IRA fighters than their enemies in the whole conflict.
>>
File: UNDEFEATED.jpg (49 KB, 800x665) Image search: [Google]
UNDEFEATED.jpg
49 KB, 800x665
>You were born in time to be given the opportunity to partake in the glorious cause of Ireland's liberation.
>>
>>1145816
tbf loyalists also killed more loyalists than any other side in the conflict did.
>>
>>1145823
>partition still in place
>largely degenerated into mutually feuding organised crime syndicates
>undefeated
>>
>>1145814
>There were no absolute "good guys" in this war, but the IRA were the least bad by far.

Not 'by far', no.
>>
File: 1462864106765.jpg (237 KB, 598x792) Image search: [Google]
1462864106765.jpg
237 KB, 598x792
>>1145837
You have 10 seconds to name a war the IRA lost.
>>
>>1145837
partition'll end when Britain has to cut off money holes like Norn Iron to fund their mosque building schemes
>>
>>1145849
The IRA were terrorists, they never fought any wars.

>>1145853
So the chuckies killed all those people for literally nothing, then. Super good guys, real heroes.
>>
>>1145863
>Terrorists can't fight wars.
So was the war in Afghanistan not a real war? Was the latter half of the Boer war not a real war?
>>
>>1145863
one less planter is one less problem

honestly what in your right fucking mind gives you the idea that you've any right to indignation or self pity being the probable descendant of planter whores like you are?
>>
>>1145823
>IRA
>undefeated
>what are the irish civil war and the border campaign
>>
>>1145846
>Not 'by far', no.
pretty much. They were the most restrained, most justified, and most principled group, despite being the most vulnerable and desperate. Not saying they were saints, but compared to the Loyalists and the British army they were much better.
>>
>>1145874
There is a difference between a separatist insurrection and an invasion, particularly when said insurrection is carried out only by a violent minority faction of a minority group. The biggest factor in determining the issue, though, is that the IRA were not armed forces of a government, nor were they agents of a government-in-exile or similar body. They were a shower of cunts who wanted to be part of a different and equally shitty country.

>>1145887
>honestly what in your right fucking mind gives you the idea that you've any right to indignation or self pity

And once the ad-hoc justification train runs out of steam, vituperative bile is all that remains. Ethics, my boy. Ethics and the absence of any tendency to romanticise psychopathic, murdering scumbags simply because they wear le cool balaclavas.

>probable descendant of planter whores like you are

Life's pretty OK as a lapsed Catholic in Dublin, actually. I imagine it would suck to be a Northy, though, abloo bloo.
>>
>>1145914
>pretty much

No. The tallest dwarf is never the tallest dwarf 'by far'. It is always a matter of inches.
>>
>>1145729

Turn off the capslock there cowboy, too much emphasis is a pain in the ass to read and just makes you look butthurt.
>>
Massive plastic paddy infestation detected.
>>
My grandpa once went to Boston - ask me anything.
>>
>>1145935
>Ethics and the absence of any tendency to romanticise psychopathic, murdering scumbags simply because they wear le cool balaclavas.
no romanticizing here, the IRA killed planters and planters are bad

>Life's pretty OK as a lapsed Catholic in Dublin
pal I couldn't give a second shit if you want to be a soggy cumrag that lets others walk all over his people and still their land, Dublin is tan central anyway, are you North or South?
>>
>>1145935
>They were a shower of cunts who wanted to be part of a different and equally shitty country.
They were a shower of kids who wanted attacks on their neighbourhoods by lynch mobs, gangsters and later the army to stop.

>Dublin
not surprised at all la
>>
File: 0.png (178 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
0.png
178 KB, 480x480
>>1145935
>Only the armed forces of a government can wage wars.

Do Brits just not even bother going to school anymore?
>>
>the British government shit on the Irish for years, but it's not terrorism because governments can't be terrorists

wow, I never realize how brainwashed britbongs were. You guys are fucking bootlickers and I hope the queen shits a bomb right on top of your house and blows your dumb ass up

but it's cool because it's OK when the government does it :>)
>>
>>1145940
>No. The tallest dwarf is never the tallest dwarf 'by far'. It is always a matter of inches.
true, but the most retarded analogy is sometimes the most retarded by far
>>
House of Pain were cool. Up the 'RA.
>>
>>1145944

I am NOT butthurt, I am using EXPRESSIVE emphasis to ENUNCIATE my INDIGNATION
>>
>>1145451
>>1145451

The major IRA splinters came way later, after the good friday agreement. The provisional IRA was by far the largest and most important for most of the time the IRA was operating, although different units within the provisional IRA were given enough independence to nearly be separate organisations.
>>
>>1145966
>no romanticizing here, the IRA killed planters and planters are bad

No, that's exactly romanticising. The IRA killed people whose families had been living in that part of the country for centuries, people who never asked to live there and who wouldn't be expected to leave if partition ended. It's only by forcing yourself to think of them as 'planters' that you can dehumanise them enough to present their cold-blooded and futile butchery as some moral good.

>I couldn't give a second shit

Yes, you seem the soul of detachment, true enough. I'm a Northsider if you must know.

>>1145967
>They were a shower of kids who wanted attacks on their neighbourhoods by lynch mobs, gangsters and later the army to stop.

And boy did they ever fuck the dog on that large-style, right? Tit-for-tat killings etc. GOOD JOB.

>not surprised at all la

Why would you be surprised?

>>1145968
>greentexting things makes them false

>>1145978
And yet other times, it's inexpressibly apt, and prompts bitter rage in those who know they can't even mount an objection to its application, because it's perfectly valid.
>>
>>1146006
No, the fact that what you said is absolutely retarded makes it false.
>>
I thought Americans liked democracy?

Britain was going to withdraw from NI aswell as RoI

But Northern Irish threatened to riot if so, there was a petition of 250,000 signatures against home rule which some politicians signed in their own blood.

There was then a referendum which unionists won.

IRA are democracy hating terrorists, you don't see scots murdering other scots after their referendum do you?

Plastic paddies in America are the worst
>>
>>1145206
They write good books
>>
>>1146013
Ah, OK. Be a dear and articulate the retardation?
>>
>>1145206
Irish diaspora and they have good folk music
>>
Toddlers in shopping malls totally deserved being blown to pieces because of muh 18th century injustice. This does not mean Apaches can totally start killing white American children justifiably because uh...
>>
>>1146020
I'm so proud to be from one of the green bits.
>>
>>1146030
Wars are not exclusively fought between recognized states. It is entirely possible to have a war between a state and paramilitaries, or just multiple independent paramilitary groups.
>>
>>1146006
>The IRA killed people whose families had been living in that part of the country for centuries,
yes, planted there centuries before, usurping the land from the natives who they kept in subjection for centuries after
the definition of planters, what's your point?

>people who never asked to live there
I'd gladly buy each of them a ferry ticket to glasgow

>It's only by forcing yourself to think of them as 'planters' that you can dehumanise them
I see them as humans though, you're acting like humans don't or shouldn't kill eachother
if another human transgresses against me or mine then conflict will ensue, verbal or physical, the latter being the only optional resort for planters and their siege mentality
>>
>>1146020
>Plastic paddies in America are the worst

For real. I was in Vegas a few years ago and this bum scabbed a smoke off me. Heard my accent and his eyes lit up.
>Yew Eyerish?
Yeah
>[open-mouthed gaping]
>My last name's O'Donnell
(this said in a tone suggesting I would throw my arms around him all DEARTHÁIR!)

Talked me for like five minutes about how much he wanted to go over and join 'the struggle'. He could see I wasn't enthusiastic and asked me if I was a Christian. I told him no, and he asked me if I was a Protestant. I told him I was pretty sure you had to be a Christian to be a Protestant and he seemed confused.

I think he thought 'Protestants' were 'Protesting' against British occupation or something. To be fair, he was a bum, but still.
>>
Been reading up on the troubles recently. Talk about a clusterfuck.
>>
>>1146020
NI didn't exist in 1914, it was gerrymandered into existance in 1920 when it became clear that the British couldn't hold the rest of Ireland.
>>
>>1146006
>And boy did they ever fuck the dog on that large-style, right?
No, not at all. Irish neighbourhoods went from being burned down by mobs of protestants, held under curfew by the army and being constantly raided by the police to being relatively peaceful, if isolated and the sectarian stormont government was brought down. There were thousands of refugees fleeing from the North before the Provos were active.
>>
>>1146062
>yes, planted there centuries before

DUDE. Are you seriously telling me the IRA killed a bunch of supercentenarians? That's even more fucked up, bro, specifically targeting extremely old people. The IRA were even more cold-heartedly evil than I'd thought. Thanks for educating me on this.

>I'd gladly buy each of them a ferry ticket to glasgow

I'm sure they'd have a whip-round to put you on a bus to Navan, too.

>I see them as humans though, you're acting like humans don't or shouldn't kill eachother

Yes, yes I am.

>if another human transgresses against me or mine then conflict will ensue, verbal or physical, the latter being the only optional resort for planters and their siege mentality

Jesus, you're barely literate, aren't you? Besides being a massive poser, I mean. How many planters have you killed, bro?
>>
>>1146020
if a referendum was called for the whole of Ireland then the vote for home rule would've won out, unionists just hate democracy and love to chimp over such things
why should 6 counties (not even the whole of the fucking province) get to secede when they know the vote won't go their way?
as much right as London has to secede and join Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's grande Caliphate
>>
File: ballymurphynigger.png (59 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
ballymurphynigger.png
59 KB, 274x184
>post yfw northern irish unionists will never EVER not be ass-blisteringly mad
>>
>>1146050
>Wars are not exclusively fought between recognized states

I didn't say they were. Governments-in-exile and similar bodies are not generally recognised by the other belligerent party.
>>
>>1146006
>it's inexpressibly apt
Comparing the height of dwarves to the motivations of political actors is 8-yr old tier.
>>
>>1145206
>implying it's possible to be a greater nigger than a s*rb
>>
File: Disapproving Terrorist.jpg (3 MB, 3042x2028) Image search: [Google]
Disapproving Terrorist.jpg
3 MB, 3042x2028
>>1146092
>No, not at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shankill_Butchers
>>
>>1145200

>any group other than the original Irish Republican Army formed in the war of independence
>"the IRA"

any group calling itself the "IRA" post 1922 was and is a fucking joke that has literally achieved nothing in Northern Ireland in nearly a century
>>
>>1146093
>DUDE. Are you seriously telling me the IRA killed a bunch of supercentenarians? That's even more fucked up, bro, specifically targeting extremely old people. The IRA were even more cold-heartedly evil than I'd thought. Thanks for educating me on this.
SICK sarcasm BRO, peppered with some SERIOUSLY deadly CAPITALIZED words
being obtuse is the SHIT

>>1146093
>Jesus, you're barely literate, aren't you? Besides being a massive poser, I mean. How many planters have you killed, bro?
jaysus boss sry didnae realize i was nae allowed tae use da big words lik urself sure sry boss

what the fuck was this post, have you entirely given up on saying anything with substance?
>>
>>1146100
Hey, hey, Gerry A
How many child rapes did you cover up today?
>>
>>1146101
Okay, if you must be so autistic then think about it this way.

The Irish Republic is an unrecognized state that has existed since 1916, and Gerry Adams is president.
>>
>>1146109
Free stater detected.
>>
File: teehee.jpg (7 KB, 263x192) Image search: [Google]
teehee.jpg
7 KB, 263x192
>>1146118
Ask me again when you finish counting, buddy ;)
>>
>>1146106
>i don't actually understand how analogies work

It was comparing their heights to the purported relative moral worth of their actions. Quantity for quantity, perfectly apt.
>>
>>1145971

Are you actually surprised that Brits are the most subjugated peasant race on earth? THEY COINED THE TERM NANNY STATE. Brits are almost biologically predisposed to serving kings, they are unquestioning blind followers of authority. Keep calm and take it up the ass, and let our cameras record it.
>>
>>1146109
>the ira has literally achieved nothing in Northern Ireland in nearly a century
And here was me thinking that NI now has power-sharing and Catholics are no longer offically discriminated against.
>>
>>1146114
>SICK sarcasm BRO

Sarcasm? Do you think I wa-

Oh, wait. When you said 'they' were planted here centuries ago, you were referring to 'them' as this homogenous collective, a sort of Gestalt entity occupying multiple bodies. The Eternal Planter, so to speak. Almost as if they... weren't human. Hmm.

>jaysus boss sry didnae realize i was nae allowed tae use da big words lik urself

Oh, you're allowed. You're just shit at it, that's all.

>have you entirely given up on saying anything with substance?

Hahaha. So you haven't killed any planters, then, have you? All mouth, no trousers. That's adorable. Technology's great - a few decades ago you'd have had to go down the pub to bullshit yourself as some kind of hardman or true believer. Now you just sit at a keyboard.
>>
>>1146043
>This does not mean Apaches can totally start killing white American children justifiably because uh...
If Americans started bombing them first, burning down reservations, setting up curfews and interning random apache civilians, keeping apaches as second class citizens and attacking them when they tried to protest this, then I would say Apaches would be justified in retaliating, especially if the Apache did so in a manner that was less ruthless and more discerning than their attackers.

>but muh toddlers, won't somebody please think of the children!!
Unfortunate accidents, not a matter of policy. In an case a childish emotional argument
>>
I really like Ireland in general, but I have very little patience for pro-IRA retards.
>>
>>1146128
That's not true, though. 'Thinking of it that way' is just 'pretending'.
>>
>>1146142

That's in spite of the IRA, not because of it.
>>
File: 1455064008682.png (469 KB, 867x800) Image search: [Google]
1455064008682.png
469 KB, 867x800
>>1146165
It's okay, fenian OG's have no patience for you either.
>>
>>1146142

>Catholics are no longer offically discriminated against.

lel get a load of this guy
>>
>>1146108
A few murders is better than mass pogroms. You're also assuming that the Shankill buthcers wouldn't have killed those people just for the craic. They probably would have.
>>
File: 1462123179611.jpg (138 KB, 908x540) Image search: [Google]
1462123179611.jpg
138 KB, 908x540
>>1146172
All states are just pretending, bro.

Just because more people are in on it doesn't make it any less make-believe.
>>
>>1146164
>childish emotional argument

Dude. They murdered children. "Think of the children" applies to cases where no actual risk to children is entailed. But they actually murdered children.
>>
>>1146161
"they" as in the descendants of the very people planted all those centuries ago you spastic

another post without any substance whatsoever, you're talking pure bollocks lad

>That's adorable.
I can picture the shite staining the corners of your mouth right now big man
>>
>>1146164

EMOTIONAL arguments APPEAL to me VERY MUCH
>>
>>1146193
So does every army ever.

Including the British army in Northern Ireland.
>>
>>1146165
I really like England in general but I have very little patience for pro-British Army retards
>>
>>1146189
Actually, it does make it less make-believe, to the point where it actually isn't make-believe.
>>
>>1146205
How the fuck does that work?
>>
>>1146193

They ACTUALLY murdered CHILDREN the FUCKING BASTARDS
>>
>>1146186
>They probably would have.

...he said airily, knowing that his claim could not be falsified.
>>
>>1146136
>Quantity for quantity, perfectly apt.
That's far from enough to be an apt analogy.
>>
>>1146198
>"they" as in the descendants of the very people planted all those centuries ago you spastic

Now you're getting it! People who weren't, therefore, complicit in the act of plantation, and who should not therefore be referred to as 'planters'.

>I can picture the shite staining the corners of your mouth right now big man

Cool. Can you picture yourself killing a few planters? No? Just bullin' on about it like a good lad? Just RPing on the internet? OK, that's fine. Not everyone can be as cool and sexy as the IRA, you be you bro.
>>
>less ruthless misty bog freedom fighters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles#Casualties
>>
>>1146203
Yes! And that's terrible! What fucking part of this don't you get?

>>1146207
Well, there's these things called 'countries', right. And these 'countries' do a thing that's called 'existing'. With me? If something doesn't do this thing called 'existing', it absolutely cannot be a country. There's just no way, it's a really hard rule, no bend in it at all. This:
>>1146128
>The Irish Republic is an unrecognized state that has existed since 1916, and Gerry Adams is president.

is something that doesn't 'exist', and therefore cannot be a 'country'.

Clear?

>>1146209
Well, they did. If your position is that murdering children is fine, well, there goes any possible ground you might have for objecting to British occupation. Hey-ho.

>>1146222
No, that's perfectly sufficient. You will mount a positive argument or you will henceforth be ignored, by the by.
>>
>>1146211
No alt-history speculation can be falsified. It's reasonable to assume that the murders of Catholic civilians by Loyalists would have continued, considering they started before the IRA was active and showed no signs of slowing down, but were increasing in frequency and intensity.

You've also never addressed my main point and just been deflecting and nitpicking all of my responses.
>>
>>1146250
>Yes! And that's terrible! What fucking part of this don't you get?
The fact that it doesn't matter.
>>
>>1146164
Tell it to the Injuns.
>>
>>1145247
IRA killed less civies than loyalists

...but they killed more of eachother than loyalists
>>
>>1146228
bro haha its like I said I've killed loyalists lmao haha not that I just support the IRA doing it haha, it's almost like you haven't given any solid reasons why its a bad thing that they do wowie <_< >_> XD

planting continues on today though, 'Planter' can still be used to refer to descendants of the original planters as they still hold land in Ireland and vote to keep Ireland partitioned
or is there some sort of grammatical rule preventing me from using it in this context?
Didn't know you coined the term pal
>>
>>1146097
Because the majority wanted something else
>>
>>1146250
>Well, there's these things called 'countries', right. And these 'countries' do a thing that's called 'existing'. With me? If something doesn't do this thing called 'existing', it absolutely cannot be a country. There's just no way, it's a really hard rule, no bend in it at all. This:
>Well, there's these things called 'countries', right. And these 'countries' do a thing that's called 'existing'. With me? If something doesn't do this thing called 'existing', it absolutely cannot be a country. There's just no way, it's a really hard rule, no bend in it at all. This:
Show me such a thing as a "country".

Literally pick it up and show me what a "country" looks like.
>>
>>1146241
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles#Casualties

>Of those killed by British security forces:
187 (~51.5%) were civilians

>Of those killed by republican paramilitaries:
723 (~35%) were civilians

>Of those killed by loyalist paramilitaries:
878 (~85.4%) were civilians

Why did you post that? They clearly were less ruthless
>>
>>1146259
>You've also never addressed my main point

It's an unevidenced claim. How much of my work do you imagine yourself to be worth?

No, it's less than that.

>>1146262
Again, in that case, neither does the British occupation.
>>
File: uk.gif (23 KB, 345x339) Image search: [Google]
uk.gif
23 KB, 345x339
>>1145849
Lmfao are you joking? They may as well have never fought.
>>
>>1146268
why not re-partition it so that counties in Northern Ireland that vote majority Nationalist get to secede then?
They'd be doing so along the same lines as Northern Ireland did
>>
> there are Americans on /his/ right now who get their kicks LARPING as sectarian paramilitaries.
>>
>>1146090
I know it didn't exist mate, that's what I said

Britain wanted to leave all of it but a bunch of fucking retards in the north threatened violence

I don't care I wish all of Ireland was united so we didn't have this fucking muslim tier tribal fighting

i'm English and embarrassed by them
>>
>>1146300
Already live in that defined area.

Looking outside my window now, can't see anything that identifies this area as being magically distinct from the other claimed area 2 miles down the road.
>>
>>1146303
just nuke it
>>
>>1145206
>I wish I was irish

>Implying you aren't
>>
>>1146290
>It's an unevidenced claim.
Here's your evidence m8
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Northern_Ireland_Troubles_and_peace_process

"but history doesn't count as evidence of a claim about history"

I don't know why you're being so obtuse. You don't have to like the IRA to recognise that they made their neighbourhoods safer, and if you're being contrarian just because you don't like people like this
>>1146266
then you're a retard.
>>
>>1146266
>bro haha its like I said I've killed loyalists lmao haha not that I just support the IRA doing it haha
>>1146062
>if another human transgresses against me or mine then conflict will ensue, verbal or physical, the latter being the only optional resort for planters and their siege mentality

I note that conflict, from your end, has not yet escalated above the verbal. Why is your response to the transgressions of these planters so wan and lifeless? YGOS?

>'Planter' can still be used to refer to descendants of the original planters

Oh, sure. And "senseless marauding psychopathic kill-crazy butchers" can be used to refer to various paramilitary forces. All we need do is justify our respective uses.

>>1146270
Show me such a thing as an ocean. Literally pick it up and show me what an "ocean" looks like.
>>
>>1146305
>everyone who doesn't lick the Unionist jackboot is a member of the PPIDF (Plastic Paddy Internet Defence Force)

>>1146319
>then you're a retard.
no u
>>
>>1146306
>I don't care I wish all of Ireland was united so we didn't have this fucking muslim tier tribal fighting

It wouldn't stop.
>>
>>1146329
Are you admitting that you're taking a contrarian, inaccurate view of history out of spite?
>>
>Be such enormous shit-mongers that even after the north becomes less Protestant the desire for Unionism remains as strong as ever.

well done, you will never get the north "Back" even though you never had it to start with lmao.
Enjoy your shitty borders =^)
>>
File: water-glass.jpg (1 MB, 2577x3866) Image search: [Google]
water-glass.jpg
1 MB, 2577x3866
>>1146328
Here's a little bit of ocean inside some glass.

Can you take a portion of a state and put it in a glass?
>>
>>1146310
>magically distinct
You may have autism

Check out these articles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax
>>
>>1146343
is being contrarian bad? didn't realize it was necessary for everyone to hold the same opinions and viewpoints

>inaccurate
how so
>>
>>1146359
Those look like a bunch of people LARPing to me, bro.

>But they'll shoot you if you don't play along.
Right, psychopathic LARPers. Got it.
>>
>>1146319
>Here's your evidence m8

So where in that list will I find:
>>1146186
>mass pogroms
>>1146092
>Irish neighbourhoods being burned down by mobs of protestants
>>1146092
>thousands of refugees fleeing from the North
?

Because I don't see them. I see a shitload of riots, to be sure, instigated by agitators on both sides. But you've clearly been wildly exaggerating both the conditions before the activation of the Provos and the extent of their impact on them.

Why are you doing that? Why are you telling lies to make terrorists look good? What's wrong with you?
>>
>>1146020
But those borders are ugly as sin.
>>
>>1146021
Joyce is alright but Beckett is unmitigated hirseshit.
>>
>>1146348
>Here's a little bit of ocean inside some glass.

That's just water, bro. There's no such thing as 'a little bit of ocean'.
>>
>>1146381
But an ocean is just a big bit of water.

So logically a glass of water is a little bit of ocean.
>>
>>1146329
You know most people, even ni catholics, despised the ira? You made it worse for us. You had no mandate for your actions. You used the cause to excuse behaving like the mafia in sicily.
>>
>>1146383
No, an ocean is a defined area. Water removed from that defined area is not 'part of the ocean'.
>>
>>1146391
Speak for yourself, faggot.
>>
>>1146393
How is it not?
If you took all the water out obviously it would cease to be an ocean, thus the component water is what makes it an ocean. Therefore a glass of water is a little bit of ocean.
>>
>>1146348
Jayden smith pls go
>>
>>1146391
Underrated post. Murdering scum is murdering scum. ITT people whose mams never told them two wrongs don't make a right.
>>
>>1146328
>"senseless marauding psychopathic kill-crazy butchers"
honestly what are you shitting on about, a Planter is a descendant of a planter family and/or someone who originally planted the land
you don't call Europeans who went to the Americas and settled there Native Americans, do you?

>I note that conflict, from your end, has not yet escalated above the verbal. Why is your response to the transgressions of these planters so wan and lifeless? YGOS?
this isn't on my end though, I've never claimed to nor have I been involved in such activities, doesn't mean I can't rationalize why someone would do such thing
I don't instantly condemn them as
>senseless marauding psychopathic kill-crazy butchers
like yourself either

sure you haven't got any vested interests, or is everything you say completely objective?
>>
File: Oceans-Map.jpg (77 KB, 687x360) Image search: [Google]
Oceans-Map.jpg
77 KB, 687x360
>>1146398
>How is it not?

Why don't you have a bit of a think about it and see if anything occurs to you.
>>
>>1146409
>you don't call Europeans who went to the Americas and settled there Native Americans, do you?

Of course not. I call them "Americans" like any normal person would.

>this isn't on my end though
>>1146062
>>
>>1146391
>even ni catholics
NI Catholic here, speak for yourself.
>>
>>1146413
You ignored the rest of the post.

The water makes the ocean, thus the water is the ocean.
>>
>>1146428
No really, mate. Take a good look at the picture and have a think about it.
>>
>>1146420
here ye go

http://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/63123/what-does-speaking-for-someone-else-mean

is the rationale of the IRA paramilitary
>>
File: k6uj5y4.png (8 KB, 255x329) Image search: [Google]
k6uj5y4.png
8 KB, 255x329
>>1146449
>Just think about it MAAAAN.

If you cannot explain it with words then clearly you are wrong.
>>
>>1146281
They murdered twice as many people as anyone else. Did you not stop to think, dickhead, how many people the British Army could have killed if they'd had been equally as ruthless?

What a fully fledged spazmo fuckwit of the most intricate weave you are.
>>
>>1146511
>1080 (~52%) were members/former members of the British security forces
>57 (~2.7%) were members of loyalist paramilitaries
WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE POOR, POOR BRITISH SOLDIERS AND LOYALIST PARAS.
fuck off shitcunt
>>
>>1146451
>is the rationale of the IRA paramilitary

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22the+only+optional+resort+for+planters%22

One result found. Spoiler alert, it's this thread.

But it's OK. You were only speaking for the terrorists in an approving tone, trying to impute to yourself what you see as their righteous struggle, without actually meaning to directly imply you had anything approaching the balls to put your money where your mouth is. That's cool, chickenhawks are good for a chuckle. If nothing else.

>>1146487
Well, OK, it was optimistic of me to expect you to think your way out of it. Fancy-talk inbound:

Liquids have a property called 'miscibility'. That's a very big and hard word, so I'll make up a colouredy chew-toy version for you to play with: mixiness. "Mixiness" means that liquids mix with each other - not too hard, right? Following along?

Now: Water is a liquid. That means that water is... that water is... mixy! Right! Very good. So when you look at the map, and you see that the Atlantic Ocean is right next to the Pacific Ocean, and the Indian Ocean, and you remember that water is mixy, you realise that the oceans are constantly mixing with one another. Swapping water between each other like British soldiers passing around some Taig slapper.

So when we think about that, we realise that 'ocean' is simply a defined area, and that the water in it hasn't always been part of that ocean, and won't always be in future. In fact, there's really no such thing as 'the water' in an ocean, because it's all made up of individual water molecules that have been splashing and mixing around for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years (and numbers bigger than that, but enough for today).

See? Now run along and play.
>>
>>1146547
But they still depend on the water.

Without water, there is no ocean. Thus the water is the ocean.

Not complicated, m8.
>>
>>1146547
you'd make more friends if you didn't talk like a self-righteous twat honey!
>>
>>1146557
>Without water, there is no ocean. Thus the water is the ocean.

No, the area the water occupies is the ocean.

>>1146558
You'd get BTFO less if you didn't adopt shit positions and present terrible arguments for them. We all make our choices.
>>
>>1146562
Right, lad.

If all the water in the world evaporated tomorrow there'd still be fucking oceans.

Brits are literally THIS insane.
>>
>>1146511
British should have cleansed papist scum from their clay. Catholics are worse than niggers and rag heads.
>>
>>1146572
In the future the only protestants left will be niggers.
>>
>>1146570
No, if the World Ocean evaporated tomorrow there'd be no oceans. But the oceans are subdivided areas of it, not distinct masses of water.
>>
File: doH8i.jpg (331 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
doH8i.jpg
331 KB, 5000x5000
>>1146590
You do realize there is such a thing as the world ocean?
>>
>>1146547
>But it's OK. You were only speaking for the terrorists in an approving tone
freedom fighters, but alright, yes

>trying to impute to yourself what you see as their righteous struggle,
righteous yes, imputing to myself no, I'm not in the 'RA, I've merely explained to you their rationale and declared my support of it

>without actually meaning to directly imply you had anything approaching the balls to put your money where your mouth is
I've no need to considering I don't live in the North
I'm simply stating the IRA/PIRA did nothing wrong
>>
>>1146570
Can I enter into evidence the Sea of Tranquility, m'lud?

None members of the Anglo master race are literally THIS limited.
>>
>>1146369
Evidence:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2011/02_february/28/bombay_street.shtml

http://www.thejournal.ie/northern-refugees-ireland-state-papers-1820942-Dec2014/
>>
>>1146599
Did you see the bit where I referred to it in the post you're replying to?
>>
>>1146562
>You'd get BTFO less
not any of the fellows you're frothing against, you just type like a sanctimonious arsehole
>>
>>1146606
That is not an ocean, it is a lunar mare.
>>
File: 1463117938166.jpg (14 KB, 288x324) Image search: [Google]
1463117938166.jpg
14 KB, 288x324
>>1146622
>Oceans are not water they are magic
>Except for the ocean that literally includes all the oceans
>>
>>1146604
>declared my support of it

OK.

>I've no need to considering I don't live in the North

Where do you live?

>>1146606
It's OK, I've got this. Next on the syllabus is the water cycle.
>>
>>1146625
>not any of the fellows you're frothing against
>>
>>1146641
>Where do you live?
bit personal
you a poof?
>>
It is the year 2016.
Brits are still anally pained about every facet of existence.

When will they learn?
>>
File: k846j35y.jpg (4 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
k846j35y.jpg
4 KB, 128x128
>>1146666
>>
>>1146666
You'd be anally pained too if half of your capital was Muslim and the top baby name in your country's central region was Mohammed.
>>
>>1146369
From 1968 civil rights marches had been attacked by mobs and security forces. On 12th July 1969 Orange marches in Belfast and Dungiven resulted in riots which forced many catholics to leave their homes. On 2 August a protestant mob tried to storm the Unity flats, but were stopped by the police. The battle of the bogside saw saw RUC trying to force entry into a Catholic neighbourhood. Demonstrtions in support of bogsiders led to riots all over NI. In Belfast these riots led to the burning of Catholic homes and businesses along the Falls, Percy St, Beverly St, Divis St and Dover St. The Ardoyne was attacked also, but the attack was repelled. Hundreds of houses around Clonard monastery were burnt down, thousands of Catholics fled out of the city. Almost the entirety of bombay St and most of Kashmir St and Cupar St were burnt down. During these attacks the only people attempting to stop them were the IRA. When the British arm finally arrived they were welcomed by locals but failed to stop several burnings in the falls and Ardoyne on the day they arrived. Later abuses by the army led the locals once again into tha arms of the IRA

> I see a shitload of riots, to be sure, instigated by agitators on both sides.
Which led to burnings and evictions on a mass scale. Pogroms were a real and present danger.
12000 refugees had passed through Gormanston camp alone by october 1971.

>But you've clearly been wildly exaggerating both the conditions before the activation of the Provos
I haven't. Belfast was an absolute warzone.

>and the extent of their impact on them.
That's more debatable, as correlation is not causation but the provos were created as a direct result of these riots. You have a comical misunderstanding of the motivations of catholic civilians and paramilitaries.

>Why are you telling lies to make terrorists look good?
I don't give a shit about the IRA, I just caught you memeing and I felt obliged to stop you
>>
>>1146638
And now we're going to talk about 'precipitation'. Another big word, but don't worry - it mostly just means rain!

When it's nice and sunny out, the water in the ocean gets a bit warm. And the water's just like you - it loves to play in the sun! So little bits of the water in the ocean decide to go 'sunbathing' - they JUMP up, WAY up high in the sky! But once they get up there, it's very windy and they get cold. And so they huddle together to keep a bit warm.

Do you know what we call it when that happens? No? Take a guess? No? OK, it's CLOUDS, yes, ordinary clouds like you see in the sky. And then, after a while, they decide to go back down. But sometimes they don't land back in the ocean. Sometimes they land on the ground, and that's where we get the water we drink.

And that's why a glass of water isn't "a bit of the ocean", because the stuff that comes out of your tap isn't "a bit of the ocean", is it? Clouds aren't "a bit of the ocean". No, that's just not what "ocean" means. You can't drink ocean, silly - you'd get sick!

>>1146641
You already asked me to specify which part of Dublin I live in and I obliged. What are you, scared? Big chicken? Buck-buck-BAWWWK?
>>
File: smug (2).jpg (126 KB, 492x492) Image search: [Google]
smug (2).jpg
126 KB, 492x492
>>1146644
I'm sorry you don't believe me
have a smug anime girl
>>
>>1146687
Talking to Brits about the IRA is like talking to Russians about Ukraine.

>it isn't that we did something wrong
>it's that everyone hates us for no good reason
>incidentally, the people that we're killing in their own country deserve it, because they suck
>>
>>1146612
>On the night of 14 August 1969 sectarian tensions exploded in west Belfast. Republicans exchanged shots with the RUC and Loyalist gunmen amid riots along the interface areas. When the RUC pressed into the Nationalist district it was followed by a Loyalist mob.

So, contrary to your earlier claims, definitely not some unprovoked mass hysteria to which Republican violence began as an unavoidable response and surefire cure. Good chat.
>>
File: k7u6jy5.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
k7u6jy5.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>1146693
It is though. I'll make it so simple that even butt-blistered bongs can understand.

Ocean=big bit of water
Ergo
Regular amount of water=little bit of ocean.

But yes, all water is a little bit of ocean. It has come from the ocean and to the ocean it will return, it is very simply an ocean in transit. If not, then you must admit that oceans are a social construct.
>>
>>1146693

This cunt is one of the biggest faggots I've ever seen, take your fedora and go back to boards.ie
>>
>>1146687
>Which led to burnings and evictions on a mass scale. Pogroms were a real and present danger.
>12000 refugees had passed through Gormanston camp alone by october 1971.

Again, all of these seem to be talking about after the Provo campaign began.

>I haven't. Belfast was an absolute warzone.

Oh, I'm not denying that. I'm disputing your one-sided distortions, though I hardly need bother, since everything you cite does the job for me.

>I don't give a shit about the IRA

Who the fuck do you think is going to believe you for a second? Fuck off.
>>
>>1146716
look up his filenames on 4plebs, I'm surprised this wanker doesn't have a trip yet
pretty funny though
>>
>>1146705
That's not me but I'll respond anyway.

>So, contrary to your earlier claims, definitely not some unprovoked mass hysteria to which Republican violence began as an unavoidable response and surefire cure. Good chat.
Why are you putting words in my mouth?
>>
>>1146713
>clouds are the ocean
>rain is the ocean
>the H2O in the sweat on my balls is the ocean
>the moisture contained in the semen dribbling from your distended rectum is the ocean

No, lad, I don't think you've got it. We'll try again tomorrow. Class dismissed.
>>
>>1146713
>oceans can't be a social construct

Show natural borders between oceans plz fanks
>>
>>1146740
Just a little bit of ocean.
>>
File: smuggg.png (170 KB, 566x655) Image search: [Google]
smuggg.png
170 KB, 566x655
>>1146740
that's why your balls smell like fish you spastic
>>
File: Nice.gif (1 MB, 287x206) Image search: [Google]
Nice.gif
1 MB, 287x206
>>1146716
Aww, don't get too shitter-shattered man. Another day I won't be here and you can make up whatever shite you want about that pack of murderous scumbags. Cheer up.
>>
>>1146732
Who's not you? The person I was talking to, or the person whose earlier claims I was referring to?
>>
>>1146759
Your ma knows all about my murderous scumbag.
>>
File: boards ie meetup 2015.jpg (142 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
boards ie meetup 2015.jpg
142 KB, 960x640
>>1146759

*tips fedora*
*swirls cape*
*posts smug image from smug image folder along with snarky bitchy post*
*basks in percieved own sense of intellectual worth as he reviews his sophistry*

Indeed
>>
>>1146722
>Again, all of these seem to be talking about after the Provo campaign began.
The PIRA was founded in December 1969, the riots were in July/August.

>Oh, I'm not denying that.
Then why would you think " They were a shower of cunts who wanted to be part of a different and equally shitty country."

>I'm disputing your one-sided distortions
We've only been talking about justifications for the PIRA, if you want to talk about justifications for Loyalists that's fine but it hasn't been the topic of this argument. We're only arguing about one side.

>Who the fuck do you think is going to believe you for a second?
Believe me or not you tool, you were the one who started shiting on about how they were cunts. I never tried to indict or exhonerate them for anything, just explain the context. I've personal reasons to dislike the 'ra, but that doesn't mean I'm going to take a fucking kids moralistic view of people from shitty areas in belfast in the 60s
>>
File: irishresmuglicanarmy.jpg (17 KB, 315x342) Image search: [Google]
irishresmuglicanarmy.jpg
17 KB, 315x342
>Be british in 2016
>Live in the time when the british empire will crumble
>Scotland almost left
>Unionism in NI become the laughing stock of the country
>Muslims running your capital city

Brits never ever learn
>>
File: 1461761091067.jpg (64 KB, 371x504) Image search: [Google]
1461761091067.jpg
64 KB, 371x504
ITT: Butthurt micks and retarded ""Irish""-Americans.
>>
>>1146834
>The PIRA was founded in December 1969, the riots were in July/August.
>>1146705
>On the night of 14 August 1969 sectarian tensions exploded in west Belfast. Republicans exchanged shots with the RUC

Now, maybe your case is that the Provos had magic powers and that explains the incredible effectiveness of THEM having guns, as opposed to just regular Republicans. But it seems more likely to me that there were other factors in play and that attributing any simmering-down of attacks on Catholics to the formation of the PIRA is pretty basic post-hoc without more evidence.

>"They were a shower of cunts who wanted to be part of a different and equally shitty country."

Because they were. They can be two things.

>We've only been talking about justifications for the PIRA, if you want to talk about justifications for Loyalists that's fine

I mean your account of the events is one-sided in that it presents an overly favourable image of the IRA's actions. And if you hear "one-sided" and immediately think "Oh he wants to talk about Loyalists" then that tells me a fuckload more about you than your last paragraph.

>fucking kids moralistic view

Yeah, once you grow up, you realise bombing and kneecapping civilians is actually fine. Go fuck yourself, you fucking moral cripple.
>>
>>1146877
>implying meme loving micks haven't been supplying the bants while the eternally cucked anglos go into full damage control
>>
>>1146877
>butthurt micks
Nope. Only butthurt anglos here it seems. See the repitition of 'EVUL TERRORISTS' and 'MUH CIVILIANS' (even though the IRA killed less civilians than the loyalists)
>>
>>1146898
>>1146906
Giddyup, Mickboy!
>>
File: romanwink.gif (790 KB, 245x169) Image search: [Google]
romanwink.gif
790 KB, 245x169
>>1146915
How's the caliphate?
>>
>>1146906
>even though the IRA killed less civilians than the loyalists

What do you imagine those people think of the loyalists? Do you think they think they're good people?

Do you honestly believe that real people - by which I mean people who don't live in the eternal shithole of subhumans with grating accents that is Northern Ireland - make the slightest distinction? That's fascinating. You actually think your petty tribal differences persist in the civilised world.
>>
>>1146920
I wouldn't know, given that I do not live in Syria or Iraq.
>>
>>1146906
Plenty of butthurt micks in this thread bleating about muh oppression, muh British army, muh black and tans
>>
>>1146922
I reckon people unable to make the distinction shouldn't be making judgments in the first place
do you fall under the category of 'real people'?
twat
>>
>>1146922
Not him, but general attitude here is
"killing civilians is shitty, but at least the IRA pretended they were fighting for something"

Both terrorists, one just vastly more incompetent and silly than the other.

Meanwhile, on the pro-british side of Northern Ireland
>Weekly protests because people are triggered at a flag not being flown daily on a building which isn't even the political capital of the world
>Literal "dindu nuffin" campaigns for smicks who get their shit pushed in by police
>Constant "WE'RE SO OPPRESSED" by protestant unionist groups who have dominated the country's culture and politics for decades
>Tumblr tier crybaby attitude toward any and all things that even hint at the idea of a United Ireland, or questioning of British rule in Ireland at any point in history
>>
UP THE RAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
>>
UP THE RAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>1146942
There seems to be one false flagging faggot who doesn't know how to say "yeah times were shitty for irish people" without screaming about MUH OPPRESSION

Anyone who says that Britain weren't gigacunts to the irish is a retard, but anyone who thinks Ireland is anywhere near capable of uniting right now (or that it was in the past few years) is equally retarded, regardless of public opinion.

Anyone who wants the best for Ireland wants Northern Ireland to stay the fuck in UK, for now.
>>
>>1146880
>Now, maybe your case is that the Provos had magic powers and that explains the incredible effectiveness of THEM having guns, as opposed to just regular Republicans.
What the fuck are you on about?

>But it seems more likely to me that there were other factors in play and that attributing any simmering-down of attacks on Catholics to the formation of the PIRA is pretty basic post-hoc without more evidence.
Maybe so, but that;s what people in Belfast did.
>Attacks happen
>Provos are created to stop attacks
>Attacks stop
That's the view people had.

>I mean your account of the events is one-sided in that it presents an overly favourable image of the IRA's actions.
We haven't even gotten into the IRA's actions. I'm talking about why the Catholic people of Belfast supported them and why they did what they did. If you think I'm going to start defending the Kingsmill massacre or some shit then fuck off. That's not what I'm talking about.

>And if you hear "one-sided" and immediately think "Oh he wants to talk about Loyalists" then that tells me a fuckload more about you than your last paragraph.
Again, what the fuck are you on about.

>Yeah, once you grow up, you realise bombing and kneecapping civilians is actually fine.
Are you spastic? You haven't addressed a single argument that has been a strawman.

>"The IRA are a pack of cunts"
>Actually they were normal people reacting to their environment
>"Why do you think bombings and kneecappings are ok"
It's like arguing with a Downy
>>
In 1922 Northern Ireland was one of the most prosperous parts of Ireland, today it is the least prosperous, surviving on handouts from Westminster. That should say it all about how well partition has worked.
>>
>>1146943
>unable to make the distinction

Oh, I am aware of the many and, within your troglodytic frame of reference, terribly significant, differences between Nationalist and Unionist (and Loyalist!), Catholic and Protestant, Falls and Shankill etc etc. I simply mean that those differences don't matter to real people the way they do in the wet ashtray that is your statelet.
>>
>>1146963
>has
*hasn't
>>
IRISH PEOPLE ARE CHILD MURDERERS
>>
>>1146971
who gives a shit? I'm not a globalist, are you?
foreigners obviously don't care about such things here as I don't care about such things in their country depending on its size, significance and proximity
>>
File: mayoroflondonistan.jpg (65 KB, 768x512) Image search: [Google]
mayoroflondonistan.jpg
65 KB, 768x512
>>1146940
Don't worry, the faithful Islamic people of England shall soon be liberated from the infidels.
>>
>>1146963
>What the fuck are you on about?

There were clearly armed Republicans in Belfast before the formation of the Provos. Therefore, either the Provos had magic powers, or there is some other factor than the existence of Provos (or Option C, you explain why the Provos and the Provos alone could singlehandedly achieve the results they did in spite of not having magic powers).

>That's the view people had.

I don't care what view people had.

>We haven't even gotten into the IRA's actions.

We've been talking about the IRA's actions.

>Actually they were normal people reacting to their environment

'Cunts' is well within the range of 'normal people'. I wish I shared your rosy outlook.

But let's go back a bit - because I want you to understand how stupid you are - to this:
>>1146834
>I never tried to indict or exhonerate them for anything, just explain the context. I've personal reasons to dislike the 'ra,

You wouldn't DREAM of defending them and in fact you have DEEP personal reasons to UTTERLY LOATHE them, but you entered a thread that begins
>>1145200
>Were there ever a more loveable bunch of shitflinging rebels than the IRA?
scrolled past
>>1145336
>up the fuckin RA
decided to ignore
>>1145390
>killing planters who squat on their land and oppress their people
gave a pass to
>>1145823
>You were born in time to be given the opportunity to partake in the glorious cause of Ireland's liberation

and, skipping all that, decided to start arguing with someone who criticises the IRA.

I say again: Fuck off you moral cripple. And not just a moral cripple. A stupid moral cripple.
>>
>>1147020
The only objective morality is fenian morality.
>>
>>1146996
Well yes but I mean even we here in the Republic. You're all just Northies. And as such are to be pitied and despised in equal measure.
>>
File: 397.jpg (63 KB, 447x400) Image search: [Google]
397.jpg
63 KB, 447x400
>>1145200
This thread is glorious - so many triggered anglos.
>>
>>1147041
I'm from Dublin pal

>You're all just Northies
speak for yourself, you might have disdain for your fellow Irish for whatever personal reasons but not all of us do
>>
>>1146997
I wouldn't know, given that I live in a 97% white county.
>>
>>1147052
Sure thing, Taig/Billy. From "Dublin".
>>
>>1147076
Okay, Bongokukobar, pure-blooded Irishman who got his passport in 2011.
>>
>>1147076
Not everyone who lives outside of the north is a west brit cuck. Deal with it.
>>
>>1147084
>>1147102
Go back to your Northie shithole, Northies, and stay there.
>>
>>1147125
>Northie
Very American insult desu.
>>
>>1147167
Dude, everyone in this thread is American. It's trolls trolling trolls.
>>
>>1147167
>Very American insult desu.

No, it's what everyone in my cohort calls people from the North. Never even heard of Americans calling people "Northies", the fuck?
>>
>>1145206
This.
>>
>>1145408
The irish might be as bad as niggers, but at least they're not as bad as the perfidious albion
>>
>>1147020
>There were clearly armed Republicans in Belfast before the formation of the Provos. Therefore, either the Provos had magic powers, or there is some other factor than the existence of Provos (or Option C, you explain why the Provos and the Provos alone could singlehandedly achieve the results they did in spite of not having magic powers).
The Provos were founded because they felt that the Dublin based leadership weren't doing a good job defending Catholics from attack, which was traditionally their responsibility. This is basic as fuck. I don't know what it is you can't grasp.

>I don't care what view people had.
Clearly not, you're not even paying attention and I don't think this most basic of thoughts has never crossed your mind. I hope to god you don't work in any profession related to history.

>'Cunts' is well within the range of 'normal people'
fair enough. I doubt you've ever made any attempt to understand anyone's perspective though.

>You wouldn't DREAM of defending them and in fact you have DEEP personal reasons to UTTERLY LOATHE them
I don't utterly loathe anyone, as I have basic empathy which you clearly lack. The PIRA spent quite a bit of time extorting my grandmother when she owned a pub.

Why in the fuck would I engage with a load of trolls anyway? Nobody's going to take them seriously. I ignored both loyalist and republican shitposters because trolling people hasn't been fun since I was 15. I responded to you because I saw you post a retarded comment that I would forgive in an Irish setting but which would be misleading in an international one where people aren't aware of the historical background of the troubles.

I'll add that you have the most obnoxious and grating posting style. You sound like a teenage girl.

>but you moral cripple
I'll say it again. Moralising faggot
>>
>>1145451
This is accurate.
>>
>>1147287
>Northies
yep. You're a yank who's probably been to Dublin once
>>
>>1148764
>The Provos were founded because they felt that the Dublin based leadership weren't doing a good job defending Catholics from attack, which was traditionally their responsibility. This is basic as fuck. I don't know what it is you can't grasp.

You're committing the fallacy of assuming that because unrest dropped at some point after the formation of the Provos (despite apparently ramping up in the immediate aftermath per your own sources) it must have dropped because of the Provos.

>Clearly not

Of course not. Medieval peasants thought kings had divine right. They had shitty reasons for thinking that and they were wrong to boot. You've offered shitty reasons to accept the Provos successfully "defended" Catholic areas. If it makes you cranky that I won't take your word for it, well, get fucked.

>I doubt you've ever made any attempt to understand anyone's perspective though.

I understand perfectly the perspective of a cunt.

>Why in the fuck would I engage with a load of trolls anyway?
>I'll add that you have the most obnoxious and grating posting style.

Well, you can have a think about that one for a minute, while you frantically cobble together a few more unconvincing lies to make it less obvious you're a Provo shill.

>Moralising faggot

Yes, yes, morality is for children and objecting to things like murder is just too-too gauche, you've been quite clear on this. It's just that eg extorting your fictitious grandmother is also absolutely fine once this is accepted, as is conquering and subjugating a foreign land by main force and maintaining hegemony through brutal oppression of the indigenous population. Rape, too, it's all just normal people reacting to their circumstances. No-one has any agency and we certainly mustn't say any mean things about them - that's actually the one unpardonable transgression, to call a group of bomb-setting, drug-dealing, kneecapping murderers a rude word.
>>
>>1148769
(Ye)
>>
>>1148842
>You're committing the fallacy of assuming that because unrest dropped at some point after the formation of the Provos (despite apparently ramping up in the immediate aftermath per your own sources) it must have dropped because of the Provos.
I'll say it again, since you're incapable of reading
>Violence happens
>Provos are created as a response to violence
>Violence doesn't happen again on the same scale
>People begin to trust the provos.
Whether or not the reasoning is right or not is irrelevant, that's what people believed. People for the most part didn't support the IRA because they wanted to join the south, but because they were afraid of the government in the North. It's that fucking simple.

>Medieval peasants thought kings had divine right. They had shitty reasons for thinking that and they were wrong to boot.
If someone said "Medieval peasants were cunts who wanted their country to belong to en even bigger cunt because god told them" I would think the were a fool.

>You've offered shitty reasons to accept the Provos successfully "defended" Catholic areas.
From the perspective of a catholic in the north they aren't shitty reasons. They were very real. You've got a cartoonish vision.

>Well, you can have a think about that one for a minute, while you frantically cobble together a few more unconvincing lies to make it less obvious you're a Provo shill.
You're not even saying anything beyond that you don't believe me. Go and kill yourself.

>that's actually the one unpardonable transgression, to call a group of bomb-setting, drug-dealing, kneecapping murderers a rude word.
meh, I only wrote a throwaway response to what I thought was a stupid comment. It was your judgemental autism after the fact that got me rustled.
>>
>>1148916
>Violence doesn't happen again on the same scale
>>1146687
>12000 refugees had passed through Gormanston camp alone by october 1971
>1970
>Following an Orange Order march, intense riots erupted on the Springfield Road in Belfast. Violence lasted for three days, and the British Army used CS gas for the first time in large quantities. About 38 soldiers and dozens of civilians were injured.
>Following the arrest of Bernadette Devlin, intense riots erupted in parts of Derry and Belfast. Further violence erupted in Belfast following Orange marches past Catholic neighbourhoods. This led to gun battles between republicans and loyalists. Seven people were killed.
>1971
>Under pressure from the unionist government of Northern Ireland, the British Army began a series of raids in nationalist areas of Belfast, sparking three days of violence.[22] On 6 February, British soldiers shot dead Catholic civilian Bernard Watt in Ardoyne and IRA member James Saunders in Oldpark, claiming both were armed.[23] Shortly after, the IRA shot dead British soldier Robert Curtis during rioting in New Lodge.
>During street disturbances, British soldiers shot dead two Catholic civilians (Desmond Beattie and Seamus Cusack) in Free Derry. As a result, riots erupted in the city and the SDLP withdrew from Stormont in protest.
>McGurk's Bar bombing – the UVF exploded a bomb at a Catholic-owned pub in Belfast, killing fifteen Catholic civilians (including two children) and wounding seventeen others.

(TBC)
>>
GOD SAVE IRELAND SAID THE HEROES
GOD SAVE IRELAND SAID THEY ALL
WHETHER ON THE SCAFFOLD HIGH OR THE BATTLEFIELD WE DIE
OH WHAT MATTER WHEN FOR ERIN DEAR WE FALL?
>>
>>1148916
>>1148970
>1972
>Bloody Sunday
>Battle at Springmartin – following a loyalist car bombing of a Catholic-owned pub in the Ballymurphy area of Belfast, clashes erupted between the PIRA, UVF and British Army. Seven people were killed: five civilians (four Catholics, one Protestant), a British soldier, and a member of the Fianna Éireann.
>Five civilians, four Catholics (Bernard Kelly, Charles McCafferty, Francis McCarron, and Michael McGinley) and one Protestant (Charles Moore), were killed in gun attack on the Top of the Hill Bar, Strabane Old Road, Waterside, Derry. It is believed the UDA was responsible.
>1973
>British Army snipers shot dead a PIRA volunteer and three civilians
>The United Loyalist Council held a one-day strike to "re-establish some sort of Protestant or loyalist control over the affairs of the province". Loyalist paramilitaries forcibly tried to stop many people going to work and to close any businesses that had opened. There were eight bombings and thirty-five arsons. Three loyalist paramilitaries and one civilian were killed.

etc. These are of course all from the links you provided. I mean I think we can agree that 1969 and the activation of the PIRA was not the major turning-point you've been representing it as. I would assume that the downturn in violence was due to a complex confluence of factors both obvious and subtle, much like literally everything ever.

>If someone said "Medieval peasants were cunts who wanted their country to belong to en even bigger cunt because god told them" I would think the were a fool.

You should try some of that perspective-adopting that you're so fond of preaching when it comes to masked killers.

>From the perspective of a catholic in the north they aren't shitty reasons.

Depends who you ask, doesn't it?

>You're not even saying anything beyond that you don't believe me.

What more do you want me to say?

>throwaway response

Yeah, good job throwing it away.
>>
A NATION ONCE AGAIN
>>
>>1145200
>implying Lilliburlero isn't twice as catchy as any papist republican music
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.