[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm having trouble understand the criticisms of this essay.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
I'm having trouble understand the criticisms of this essay. His completely right isn't he?
>>
existentialism and humanism are spooks

/thread
/sartre
>>
>>1144362
please explain spooks meme.
>>
>>1144370
existentialism: oh boo hoo, you don't know something, big deal

humanism: why bother?
>>
File: 15496784566.jpg (114 KB, 335x512) Image search: [Google]
15496784566.jpg
114 KB, 335x512
Existemtialism: NOTHING REALLY MATTERS, CAN'T YOU SEE? WE HAVE NO PURPOSE ON THE WORLD

Humanism: #HUMANLIVESMATTER

Humanist approach: Nothing really matters, can't you see? Let's make humanity our purpose in the world.
>>
>>1144352
>Sartre
>Right
Go wear a diaper and be angry at the world for not being an ugly loser like you
greetings simone
>>
>>1144494
that's a convincing argument you got there.
>>
>>1144352
I've always found the underlying concept of existentialism to be basically right. Searching for God is a meme, you're all alone and even if he exists he probably doesn't give a shit

I don't even like Sartre I've just found that when I read other more religious philosophies I'm more or less just being hopeful

It's honestly within history that I find meaning more so than philosophy, as a result of this.
>>
>>1144486
Pretty much this desu senpai
>>
>>1144486
are you just reiterating what he said or is this a criticism because I can't tell what you're saying.
>>
Have you read Heidegger's response to this letter? That was a pretty good one.
>>
>>1144526

I hope you find Jesus in your heart, anon.
>>
>>1144362
/thread on your own post is faggotry
>>
>>1144824
love philosophy but have a hard time digesting philosophical texts. read it and reading what other people have said about it.

doesn't he reject humanism altogether. I say this because I've been reading Fanon's humanism.
>>
>>1144906
You should read Heidegger's response to Sartre's claims. If you "have a hard time digesting philosophical texts" you shouldn't bother reading them at all, unless you want to improve.
>>
>>1144938
https://luchte.wordpress.com/heideggers-letter-on-humanism-a-reading/ I've already read it but I'm reading this to get a better grip.
>>
>>1144906
Heidegger, in the Letter on Humanism, gives both a philosophical and an historical critique of the idea. The philosophical aspect of the argument is that, as a normative ethics and/or political philosophy, humanism depends on idealizing an aspect of man's nature at the cost of the totality, and that all existing humanisms are therefore incomplete. Heidegger entertains the idea of a revived humanism, but holds that it would have to be grounded in a proper philosophy of man. The historical critique takes up more of the discussion, but it's worth a read.
>>
>>1144806
Reiterating what Sartre said. In fact the text is a response to people critizicing the first fact and telling him that existentialism is for crybabys with no hope.
He also adresses some points in that we should think all our actions in a "what if the whole world acted this way?" scenario. He then correctes himself by talking about scenarios in which that doesn't apply like choosing cakes and shit.
Also if you're having trouble with this then I suggest you to read it again because is one of the most simple philosophers out there.
>>
>>1145048
nah I'm fine with this text. it's the criticisms of it I'm having trouble finding/understanding (namely Heidegger)
>>1145009 this helped alot.
>>
>>1145057
>it's the criticisms of it I'm having trouble finding/understanding (namely Heidegger)
What don't you understand about Heidegger's critique?
>>
>>1145059
can't get around the language. don't even know what's being said. feel so dumb.
>>
His whole "when you act for yourself you act for all of humanity" thing is garbage--it's like someone who had only a basic acquaintance with philosophy tried to write down the categorical imperative from memory, and then this flawed recollection was watered down to meaninglessness.

Secondly, the fundamental thesis of existentialism a la Sartre is "existence precedes essence". But who says essence ever 'arrives'?
>>
>>1145574
> But who says essence ever 'arrives'?
what do you mean by this?
>>
>>1145608
the statement "existence precedes essence" seems to say that at some point humans do *gain* an essence even though they didn't have it to begin with. But why should we believe that humans do ever gain an essence?
>>
>>1144352
>Christina Hendricks
Nice professor
>>
>>1144526
I hope you find Cthulhu in your heart, anon.
>>
>>1145625
Its not saying that the essence ever arrives, simply that existence precedes essence.
>>
>>1145821
Cool thanks! I get it.
>>
idk, sartre and simone banged their students tho so he takes a win in my book
>>
>>1145574
>But who says essence ever 'arrives'?
Literally everyone outside of a few aesthetic traditions. The alternative is to join Parminedes and Zeno in the self-negating pile.

If there's no essence, why are 'you' trying to argue against 'Satre?'
>>
>>1144526
I hope you find Bravonolan (PBUH) in your heart.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j_wfce0WBU

Watch this. Satre's freedom is ill-defined. To perceive is to make the theme of my attention. We percieve the chair and in such perception the world reveals itself to us. Then we perceive a book in the room. But we perceive as a unity. This isn't creative, we are receptive to the world. This is deeper than sartre's freedom. We are condemned to be receptive rather than free.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.