[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was American suburbanization unique in world history? It seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 3044-5587-1-PB.jpg (870 KB, 2488x1597) Image search: [Google]
3044-5587-1-PB.jpg
870 KB, 2488x1597
Was American suburbanization unique in world history? It seems like both its supporters and its critics like to claim this.
>>
Only because the burbs were preplanned. In Europe suburbs get created by a large city annexing neighboring villages.
>>
racism and planned
>>
yes it was part of a corporate plan to commercialize every aspect of the gringos existence
>>
Australia has similar suburban culture.
>>
>>1144051
So does Canada, but both are pretty similar in circumstance to America.
>>
>>1144062

So I guess OP's answer is "no, it's not unique". That was easy.
>>
>>1144066
To be fair, as a Canadian, I'm pretty sure suburbanity in Canada was largely in emulation of America and never really took off the same way. So the American phenomenon is pretty distinct.
>>
>>1144074

We haven't defined what this "phenomena" is exactly outside of "suburbs were created and people live in them outside of the city". What is this "unique" feature that Australia or Canada doesn't have? And by virtue of being an emulation, it immediately cancels our the "unique" status.
>>
>>1144077
Well, I'm not an expert on the subject, but as I recall suburbanization in the United States really got underway as a combined result of increasing ownership of personal automobiles and desegregation, leading to a lot of white people fleeing the inner city for the suburbs leading to the rise of the suburbs that we know now. Canada had the former, but didn't have the latter.
>>
>>1144081

Same as here in Australia. But I hardly think that you can apply the rule of "desegregation=suburbanisation" to every instance. Sounds a shallow generalisation imo.
>>
>>1143806
not really, in other wealthy countries there were often nearby agricultural villages that became suburbs in all but name
>>
>>1144021
THIS
>>
the existence of a middle class is unique in itself.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.