[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Significance of Atenism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: akhenaten_columns.jpg (33 KB, 241x371) Image search: [Google]
akhenaten_columns.jpg
33 KB, 241x371
What does /his/ think the significance of Atenism was? Was it the first monotheistic religion? Did it go on to influence the abrahamic faiths or were the rulers in the post-amarna period able to wipe it out completely making abrahamic faiths an entirely separate religious tradition that developed independently?

I've always been fascinated by Atenism and always wondered what the average eqyptians reaction would've been to it.
>>
File: 1463261487342.jpg (2 MB, 2123x1002) Image search: [Google]
1463261487342.jpg
2 MB, 2123x1002
>>1143519

bumpan with dank picutres of bronze age villages
>>
>>1143519
>what the average eqyptians reaction would've been to it.
It was pretty unpopular because it was a "revolution from above" without any support from neither the priesthood nor the people since Akhenaten had temples be closed and basically tried to eradicate any other forms of worship

Also is Atenism really "pure" monotheism or just monolatry?
>>
File: 1463260835435.jpg (1 MB, 1748x1236) Image search: [Google]
1463260835435.jpg
1 MB, 1748x1236
>>1143597
> Atenism really "pure" monotheism or just monolatry

It's hard to know for sure. Apparently during the end of his reign he banned even the use of the Sun or "Aten" as a symbol for Aten and used only the phonetic spelling so as to not re-enforce the idea that Aten was like the old egyptian gods but instead a universal presence.

We may never know though a lot of the original Atenist information was either destroyed or never existed.
>>
Well, so much for /his/ wanting to talk about history
>>
>>1143993
There's not much to talk about
>>
>>1143993
there's barely any information about it surviving
>>
> reads "significance of atheism" and "first monotheistic religion"
I honestly thought this was another atheism bait
>>
At least in the mid 20th century they thought it was Abrahamic god manifesting in Egypt. I remember watching an old movie about Ahkenaten and they use the ankh as symbol for Atenism and even spell it out at the end of the movie how all this happened so and so long before birth of Christ. Oh those good old moralist times.
>>
>>1143993
It's a slow board, dude.
>>
>>1143707
>he banned even the use of the Sun or "Aten" as a symbol for Aten and used only the phonetic spelling so as to not re-enforce the idea that Aten was like the old egyptian gods but instead a universal presence
It really sounds like what it happened to YHWH.

On the other hand, it makes you wonder whether polytheists or monarchs tend to be attracted by the idea of monotheism.

For example the Deus Sol Invictus was an attempt to have one god for one empire, the Roman one in that case.
>>
>>1143519

It is to the Abrahamic faiths as the Sumerians are to the Romans. Although their very existence has largely been forgotten, they are nonetheless the wellspring of what came later.
>>
File: Akhenaten 2.jpg (298 KB, 759x1127) Image search: [Google]
Akhenaten 2.jpg
298 KB, 759x1127
I really doubt it has any relation at all to Abrahamic religions. The Amarna Period was a short 'revolution' mostly limited to the court that was wiped from history by Tutankhamun's successors. Akhenaten's theology probably wouldn't have been known to most of the Egyptian nobility a century later, and certainly wouldn't have been known to Hebrew goat farmers over half a millennium later. Monotheism emerged in the kingdom of Judah from the earlier Canaanite religion with its focus on 'patron deities' after centuries of increasing devotion towards the god Yaweh. As far as I know the move towards actual monotheism happened around the time of the Babylonian exile, which would suggest more Zoroastrian than Egyptian influence, though that's pretty debatable too.

I don't really see any need to imagine that Jewish monotheism wasn't almost entirely an original development. The Amarna period was an interesting phase in Egyptian history, but it's importance outside of Egypt really shouldn't be overestimated.
>>
Atenism might have had some influence of Zoroastrianism, which in turn influenced Hebrewism, Christianity, and Judaism.

>>1144477
Coptic Christians use the Crux Ansata, a combination of the Cross and Ankh, to this day.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.