[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats so "great" about this dude? He seems like a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: th.jpg (16 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
16 KB, 200x300
Whats so "great" about this dude?

He seems like a big fag and his empire didn't even last
>>
>>1142765
You seem like a bigger fag and you don't even have an empire
t.b.h
>>
I know jack shit about history but isn't his legacy the Hellenism period?
>>
>>1142765
he was the only man in history to successfully conquer afghanistan
his empire probably would've lasted much longer if he wasn't gay and had kids
>>
>>1143691
I thought he did have at least one kid. Am I crazy?
>>
>>1143699
He had one kid and a bastard from what I remember, plus he had so many wives, lost his virginity to a 10/10 milf and fucked concubines all the time
>>
>>1143691
>he was the only man in history to successfully conquer afghanistan

afghanistan didn't exist , and no he wasn't
>>
>>1143691
>he was the only man in history to successfully conquer afghanistan
Who is Darius I
Who is Genghis Khan
Who is Timur
>>
Conquered tons, everybody thought he was pretty awesome, spread Greek culture

>>1143699
Yeah and he was murdered at like 9
>>
>>1143703
Yeah I think his problem was more that he was a drunk fuck and died before anybody expected it, leaving a gigantic mess and unclear rules of administration and succession. Also I think his main kid was an infant when he died, which is never good.

He probably would have been even Greater if not for the alcoholism.
>>
>>1143718
True
Unmixed wine is always a bitch

Diogenes should've been his teacher, not Aristotle, maybe then he would've learned some humility
>>
>>1143722
well if that one story is to be believed, he did meet diogenes once and seemed to have a good impression of him. but yeah...he needed to not party so damn hard. He could have been Alexander the Greatest. It's like a cautionary tale about excess.
>>
>>1143731
Hubris will always be a bitch
>>
>>1143718

His alcoholism has been greatly exaggerated by the Athenian slanderers. He never drank to excess after killing Cleitus. In many parts of Asia it was not safe to drink the water, so they drank wine instead.

Alcoholism contributed nothing to his early demise. Any physician can tell you what the work tolerance of a 30 year old alcoholic is. A drunkard would never have survived a 60 day march through the desert with no supplies.
>>
>>1142765
Taking down the Persian Empire in a single campaign was indeed a titanic feat, and travelling to unknown regions of the world to fight completely unknown enemies and defeating them too cemented him as a god among men.

His legacy lasted in the successor states taken on by his generals, which brought in the Hellenism period where greek literature and architecture stretched from Sicily to Iran and down the Nile River.

It's pretty understood that as far as History goes, Alexander does under the category of: Big Fucking Deal
>>
>>1142765
t. john green
>>
Yeah OP I'm doing Alexander in my history class too
>>
He was pretty shit desu
Thankfully Callisthenes was able to put him in his place before he died
>>
>>1143964
didn't know that man. thanks for enlightening me. out of curiosity though, what killed him then? why did he die so young?
>>
>>1144017

12 years of relentless campaigning, a litany of serious wounds (including a three foot arrow through his lung that nearly killed him), BC living conditions and medical care, incredible stress, assassination attempts, sickness, fatigue, unbelievable bravado and huge psychological trauma. There was no single cause. He died of fever, like a 90 year old man. He was 32
>>
>>1144002

Top fucking laugh

Calli got what was coming to him. Athenian trash
>>
>>1143691
Afghanistan has literally be a stepping stone in every major Persian Empire alone, so no he wasn't.
>>
>>1143722
>Diogenes
>humility
Just end yourself
>>
He was most likely poisoned.
>>
>>1146540
Being an asshole doesn't mean you're not humble, in fact, he roused the humility of people by being an asshole.
>>
Im gonna wait until the Dan Carlin podcast so I can parrot his content
>>
there is also the idea everyone loved him and thought he was perfect which was a revisionist position made up by later greek and roman historians who had bought all into the cult of alexander which only formed after his death.

after the anabasis of xenophon any greek could see the persian empire was ready to get fucked by a greek phalanx. Unfortunately the greek world got sidetracked by the peloponnesian war. After that the Spartan king Agesilaos II almost succeeded but sparta ruined the greek peace and there wasn't a chance until alexander for them to get back over there and fuck the medes. Epaminondas probably had a chance too but he died at mantinea.
>>
The fact that he even made the empire to begin with was pretty great in my honest opinion, onii-chan. Plus, the successor kingdoms were really cool. Baktria for life, son.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.