[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japanese Swords
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
Why is it so hard to find stuff about tachi (and how they were used) other than
>it's just/mainly the different mounting
>it's used by cavalry
which I'm not sure are even true. I can't seem to find anything involving sparring either. Are the differences so small that everybody just uses a katana since it's more convenient? Is there even a stream of kenjutsu that recognises these two as different weapons?

Personally, I find the earlier swords more beautiful compared to modern ones which (at least to me) seem fatter, shorter and less curved.
>>
>>1141625
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19lJerM4bj4&t=11m41s
>>
File: kashimshinto06.jpg (37 KB, 400x294) Image search: [Google]
kashimshinto06.jpg
37 KB, 400x294
>>1141625
Many of the older schools will use the term "tachi" in their kenjutsu. Aside from being a little longer their use on foot is practically the same. I dont know of anyone who has preserved tachi from horseback, or who practices it.

You find much sparring because many surviving koryu do not spar, especially among the arts that date back to the sengoku period. Most styles with an active sparring component were founded during the mid to late edo era, and focus on kenjutsu for dueling.
>>
What's the difference between tachi and katana?
>>
File: Katana-Garbutt01.jpg (15 KB, 277x201) Image search: [Google]
Katana-Garbutt01.jpg
15 KB, 277x201
>>1141696
Only real way to tell the difference is what side of the sword the inscription is on, but you can mount the same blade either as a tachi or a katana.

In general tachi tended to be somewhat longer, and they were worn edge down.
>>
>>1141649
>dat plastic chair
>helmet is a buckler
Neat. I'll check out this particular style.

>>1141658
Other than the "quickdraw" stuff, I can imagine the majority of kenjutsu are applicable. Weird there's no cavalry example since people mention it a lot.
>koryu do not spar
I'm aware of this. Are you a practitioner?
>>
>>1141649
Those guys still practice alot of the little side weapons a samurai might have carried on the battlefield. Cool stuff
>>
>>1141658
koryu so not spar?

Really tell ne more since I am a member of The oldest koryu tenshin shoden katori shinto ryu and we so spar

And no not the faggy western sugino ha talking about otake ha
>>
>>1144464
Really? Any [spoiler]left-handers[/spoiler]?
>>
>>1144464
I never said koryu do not spar, I said that many koryu do not spar. I am aware that some member of katori shinto ryu might do some sparring on the side, but in his public statements Otake is always adamant that katori shinto ryu contains no sparring.
>>
*unsheathes katana*
*teleports behind you*
nothing personnel kid
>>
File: kobudou001.jpg (24 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
kobudou001.jpg
24 KB, 320x240
>>1146611
speaking of katori shinto ryu, I guess I'll post the great documentary on the subject. Its worth a watch if your interested in how samurai trained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRfQjj8ltEg
>>
Tachi were generally shaped differently than uchigatana. Tachi are more curved (to facilitate their original use from horseback) and their tangs are angled differently depending on the Sword School. Many Tachi were "cut down" to become uchigatana during the 1500s before uchigatana became mass produced for the ashigaru armies of the Sengoku Period. Uchigatana tend to be straighter and shorter.
>>
File: masamune.jpg (429 KB, 3131x494) Image search: [Google]
masamune.jpg
429 KB, 3131x494
>>1152180
Karl Friday has been somewhat skeptical of the claim the tachi was specifically meant for Calvary. I think he has noted there are no references to it as such during the early period
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.