[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are fantasy books more popular than historical novels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: claudius3.jpg (11 KB, 350x258) Image search: [Google]
claudius3.jpg
11 KB, 350x258
Why are fantasy books more popular than historical novels?

My autism certainly gets more involved if I know these things kinda happened.
>>
>>1139967
Because they're far easier to write than historical novels, because you have to do research and shit
>>
>>1139967
Please, let them remain popular.

Almost all historical fiction I've read is fuck awful and pushes an agenda.
>>
File: 9780007230204.jpg (37 KB, 372x400) Image search: [Google]
9780007230204.jpg
37 KB, 372x400
Are they really though?
>>
History is the world as we understand it.

Fantasy is the world as it could, or should, have been.

History's main target audience are its students.

Fantasy's main target audience are the bottom of the social pyramid of people who actually pay for books.

Historical novels are somewhere in between, neither history nor fantasy, they frequently assume the reader is familiar with the setting instead of introducing it in the first book of the series like fantasy.
>>
>>1139967
because fantasy novelists have more leg room to aim for what interests people whereas historical novels have to sacrifice this for historical accuracy
>>
>>1139994
Are you implying that book is popular? It's only known to the general public because of the play and tv series. Absolutely cannot compare with top flight fantasy books.
>>
>>1139967
>>>/lit/
>>
>>1139991
>Almost all historical fiction I've read is fuck awful
You must have some fuck high standards.
In my experience historical fiction is pretty average quality wise as a genre. Fantasy tends to be much much worse on average.
>>
>>1139967

>average quality

Exactly: fuck awful.
>>
I, Claudius; Augustus; and, Julian were all pretty good. Just started reading Wolf Hall. Open to some good historical fiction suggestions, if folks have any
>>
>>1140140
>Open to some good historical fiction suggestions, if folks have any
If you liked I, Claudius read the rest of Graves' work.
Aubrey-Maturin series, P O'Brian
Cicero trilogy, R Harris
The Sunne in Splendour, S K Penman
Can't think of other stuff on the same level. I have much more if you're ok with plebbier writing.
>>
>>1140094
>Are you implying that book is popular?

It objectively is. Sorry all your friends are illiterate.
>>
>>1140220
>Sorry all your friends are illiterate.
Saying you're sorry doesn't make it any less hurtful senpai.
>>
>>1140179
thanks /his/torian... that'll keep me going for a bit!
>>
There is no point in reading fantasy, it didn't happen - your not learning anything new. Its a purely recreational endeavour, a mere amusement, a hedonistic distraction for the simply minded masses. You call it "autism", I call it intelligence OP!
>>
>>1139967

Cause a certain stuff called "trends", now fantasy is trendy while time ago historic ficction was.
>>
>>1140393
wow, you don't seem like you'd be fun to hang out with at all
>>
>>1140438
I'm just playing with you.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.