[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much did other nations know about the treatment of Jews during
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: Kristallnacht.jpg (113 KB, 980x552) Image search: [Google]
Kristallnacht.jpg
113 KB, 980x552
As I understand, many of the atrocities committed to Jews and other 'untermenschen' were only discovered following the liberation of Europe in 1945 but presumably some amount of the anti-Semitic rhetoric would have leaked out of Germany through the work of foreign correspondents in Germany in the early 1930s.
I have been taught that anti-Semitic propaganda and public attitudes in Germany were temporarily brushed under the rug during the 1936 Olympic Games to disguise the increasing persecution of Jewish people, what kind of measures would be taken to ensure foreign press couldn't unmask the facade?
My main question is how widely the treatment of Jews in Nazi Germany was reported in foreign countries? It seems unfeasible that an event on the scale of Kristallnacht could be successfully suppressed from the view of the world media.
>>
>>1139138
There were many Jewish people running away from Nazi Germany before and during the war.
>>
>>1139138
Several concentration camp escapees attempted to tell the world about what was going on in Germany. but none of them were believed until the camps themselves were found.
>>
File: JeanClaudeVanDang.jpg (184 KB, 900x1361) Image search: [Google]
JeanClaudeVanDang.jpg
184 KB, 900x1361
>>1139138
everyone knew the Nazi's were persecuting Jews. Not many people cared.

Slavery was legal in the United States a mere 68 years before the Nazi's gained control of Germany. Famine was still a real thing. Japan was btfo Manchuria. Life was a little tougher.

Also, the Jews have used the event to shape their entire national identity. This means any meaningful discussion on the matter that doesn't expand on the idea that Jews are the-all time biggest victims, who have been picked on for no reason whatsoever, means you're anti-Semitic. It fucks things up.
>>
>>1139153
There was a polish officer called Witold Pilecki who volunteered to be imprisoned at Auschwitz, escaped and provided a report on the camp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witold_Pilecki
>>
>>1139153

No, the allies knew about the camps before then from their own intelligence operations. They even bombed a couple in a half-hearted attempt to disrupt them, but frankly it was a low priority while there was a war to be won.
>>
>>1139228

>This means any meaningful discussion on the matter that doesn't expand on the idea that Jews are the-all time biggest victims, who have been picked on for no reason whatsoever, means you're anti-Semitic.

Simply not true /pol/.
>>
>>1139138

My Greek grandparents lived in Athens during the German occupation. They were both pretty right wing, but they never questioned one bit what happened to the Jews.

My grandmother witnessed jews getting executed in Athens when her father was picked for penis inspections (yes the Germans actually did those at random), her father thankfully was not a Jew but some other people weren't so lucky.

She also had neighbors who hid some Jews who were eventually found out and eventually were all shot.

Such things mark a person all of his life, and I could see the weariness in her eyes when talking about WWII, witnessing so much death both the starvation and the executed people, we are completely detached from such experiences.

I miss you grandma ;_;
>>
>>1139585
Thanks for sharing this, I very rarely hear about the German occupation in the Mediterranean. It's shocking to think that in some places, the Nazis were first welcomed as liberators of their own despotic nations.
>>
>inb4 brain damaged holodaust deniers tame over the thread
>>
>>1139138
I'd say it was obvious to the Allies the moment the Germans started implementing anti-Jew regulations in the occupied countries.
>>
>>1139539
see how you proved my point? you basically called me an anti-Semite. say one little thing, get labeled a Nazi sympathizer.
>>
Is there any accounts of life Nazi Germany from a German perspective that can be considered reliable and neutral?
>>
>>1139539
He actually has a valid point and you just called him anti-semitic.

Regardless, the Holocaust was one of the more significant atrocities committed due to the cold planning and engineering that it demanded to be carried out.
>>
File: 1939ad7849955968.jpg (91 KB, 560x713) Image search: [Google]
1939ad7849955968.jpg
91 KB, 560x713
>>1139138
>As I understand, many of the atrocities committed to Jews and other 'untermenschen' were only discovered following the liberation of Europe in 1945

No, the Allied leadership knew from the start what was going on, as the Polish partisan Home Army was passing along intelligence to the Allies right from the start of the war.

But there wasn’t much the Allies could do until 1945, when those camps were liberated.
>>
File: Kampfy Hitler.jpg (91 KB, 679x662) Image search: [Google]
Kampfy Hitler.jpg
91 KB, 679x662
>>1139138
>Foreign reporters

Not after 1934, pham.
>>
>>1141195
I fucking love Polish interwar uniforms and that BAR imitation.
>>
>>1139138
Not much, desu. To make matters worse, those that did know the truth either didn't believe it (Churchill) or didn't care (American interest groups). It wasn't like Nazis broadcasted to the world: OH YEAH WE'RE JUST MURDERING THE SHIT OUT OF THE JEWS AND NO ONE CAN STOP US! The Nazis were very quiet about it except to a very select group of people.
>>
>>1142264
>BAR imitation
That's not an imitation, Saint Browning let many countries and firms use his designs.
>>
>>1139138
They didn't care if they knew and if they knew they didn't know much. Look up Jan Karsky. He told FDR to his face what was going on in Poland and all FDR asked him was how the horses were treated.
>>
>>1139539
>>1141141
>>1141169

Think about this, if I go to 50 different parties made up of entirely different people and at all 50, people cite the same reason for not liking me, far before telling someone else about my experience at all 50, most people would think, "Maybe it's not completely all these other people at the parties who are the assholes, maybe it's you".
>>
A. Jews weren't the majority of people sent to forced labor camps
B. The west still doesn't know because it was the soviets alone who saw the camps
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.