[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think about El Quijote?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
What does /his/ think about El Quijote?
>>
Nuts/10.
Good read though. Hard because it's basically Shakespearean-tier Spanish so everything is linguistically wonky compared to modern Spanish.
>>
>>1134776

There are curerntly modern Spanish translations
>>
File: quixote.png (757 KB, 761x616) Image search: [Google]
quixote.png
757 KB, 761x616
>>1134356
It's like reading looney tunes for 16th century spaniards.

I love it.
>>
File: lepanto.png (641 KB, 628x568) Image search: [Google]
lepanto.png
641 KB, 628x568
>>1134356
It is a giant mountain of bitterness from Miguel de Cervantes on the subject of chivalry values and the crusaders spirit.

Why?

Because he felt the effort put into the war of the Holy league was wasted. He was badly wounded at the battle of Lepanto.
>>
>>1134356
>Hey Shang, we need to sell porcelain plates to the Spaniards in the Philippines. What do spics like?
>I heard they like this warrior dude who is old and is bonkers and followed around by a serf.
>Ok let's do that.
>>
>>1135700

Is that stalker woman Dulcinea?
>>
File: lemortedarthurbo03malorich_0097.jpg (223 KB, 833x1019) Image search: [Google]
lemortedarthurbo03malorich_0097.jpg
223 KB, 833x1019
Was Cervantes right about knight errantry and chivalry?
>>
File: 1463149110638.jpg (15 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1463149110638.jpg
15 KB, 500x400
>>1135675
Makes sense seeing his life was kind of a shitshow after that.
>>
>>1135675
I didn't feel a "bitterness" vibe from the Crusades going on. Cervantes felt the need to put in, like two positive Moorish characters who go on and want to convert to Christianity / stay in Spain, and he makes the "translator" of the story a Moor (and I think Muslim).

Seems like he was just making fun of the whole "knight errant" romanticism of his time with some hint of guys / thinkers who got too ideologically involved in their philosophies that they actually followed it in real life despite it being not applicable.
>>
>>1138133
What was knight errantry really like in real life though? Because everyone today likes to harp on about how REAL knights were all brutal rapists and pillagers and thugs so I have a hard time believing there were honest to god knights who were gentlemen duelers having noble jousts on the side of the road and doing homage unto fair maidens and so on.
>>
>>1137988
They look so evil.
>>
One of my favorite books. Its all comedy and goes off and random tangents, but that's half the point.
I think my favorite part is when Sancho finally becomes a governor of his own town, mainly because the people thought it would be a fun joke, and he just keeps on doing arbitrarily droll yet witty decisions that eventually gets him cast away.
>>
>>1138207
From what I understand, Spain's history of knights is considered less fucked up and rapey than in England or France, because a lot of the knights were dedicated Christians, not just nobles. Added to this is the idea that the infidel could be more honorable than the Christian, as in the Ballad of the Cid.

On the other hand, Cervantes is writing in a time when Granada has already been conquered, and Granada had been the last Moorish kingdom for a while. Having served as a slave in the Turkish galleys, Cervantes seems to have a fondness for Muslims, at least the ones in Iberia. So part of the story was debunking the romanticizing of the Reconquista by hidalgos, and a criticism of the expulsion of the Moors and Jews. Likewise, Cervantes even mocks the clergy.
>>
Sancho Panza is god tier
>>
>>1138704
More like cuck tier
>>
>>1134356
I definitely felt sadness toward the end when all his ideals and delusions were removed and he was stuck with the bleakness of reality. If I remember all his close friends and relatives even try getting him to act like a knight to make him happy again, but he just burns his old chivalry books.
>>
>>1135014
But that's fucking gay.
>>
>You'll never ride freely in the fields just for the sake of living adventures ;_;
>>
>>1138690
interdasting. But if he was a slave why would he have affection for muslims at all?
>>
It seems Don Quixote shows the noblemen and kings Spain thoughts with search of glory, while Sancho shows the peasant thoughts, tired of more wars.
>>
>>1134356
>Talking about books

>>>/lit/
>>
>>1140165

This is the most important book in history (I'm not counting Bible), and it tells us how it was the most powerful country in the world in 1600s, so yes, is fit to see this in /his/
>>
One interesting thing was the ''Words and Weapons'' discussion when Quixote talks and compares writers and soldiers. Cervantes was both of them. Also, he says soldiers are more important, in concordance with what some of you have posted here.

Also, interesting to see technological improvements reflected here too. Quixote says is a pity crossbows bows and arrows were extincted 'cause arquebus. He also blames arquebus and fire weapons in general saying they are an invention from devil, explaining that while bowmen needed training and skill, fire weapons don't need that and are very easy to use (maybe he said that in consequence of what happened to Cervantes in Lepanto).
>>
>>1140205
>This is the most important book in history
What about The Communist Manifesto? The Origin of Species? The Study of Counterpoint? Plato's Republic? Relativity: The Special and the General Theory? The Koran? War and Peace? The Feminine Mystique?

Maybe Don Quixote is the most influential novel in history, but don't give it too much credit.
>>
>>1140244
>Koran

Pathetic.
>>
>>1140247
2 billion living people would disagree with you.
>>
>>1140244

All of them aren't the most printed and sold book in history. Even Koran has been less printed.

Only the Bible has been more printed.
>>
>>1140260
By that standard, Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung would be the most important book of all time.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.