[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Documentaries
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: rome.jpg (53 KB, 711x400) Image search: [Google]
rome.jpg
53 KB, 711x400
Any good documentaries on Rome you care to recommend? Most of the stuff I find on youtube are mediocre at best so let's talk about this.
>>
>>1134103
BBC Made one about the Celts. The first two or three episodes are pretty good. Wouldn't watch any more than that. The music is horrible though.
>>
>>1134103

Terry Jones' Barbarians for the BBC in around 2006. You may have to torrent it like I did. It is a good look at the Roman interaction with the Celts and various barbarian tribes.

Generally he argues that the barbarians were civilised and wealthy. For example, the celts had roads, gold, and a lawful society overseen by the druids and the Romans stomped them to acquire gold and mineral mines. It is similar in Dacia. And they talk about Alaric and his tribal confederation sympathetically as refugees who wanted to be included in Rome. About six episodes in all.
>>
Yeah HBo did a pretty good one a while back
>>
>>1134203
>>1134256
Is this the same documentary?
>>
I liked meet the romans by mary beard.
>>
>>1134285
no
>>
Not OP, but I have a slightly similar request: Can anyone recommend a youtube channel or any other easy-ish source for university lectures on Roman history? Ideally it would be something like Stanford's series of Sapolsky's lectures on genetics or those Searle lectures you can get. Non-Roman history is also welcome, but Roman history especially.

As a cute backstory to maybe motivate people to help - they're not for me, they're for the Mammy. The Mammy has read a metric ton of popular and academic history on Rome, recently watched that Mary Beard doc, and was complaining bitterly about how superficial and entry-level it was. I had to explain to her that she's just not in the key demo for the programme and placated her by rashly assuring her that there were 'probably' a ton of lectures available online. So now whenever I see her she's reminding me Hey, what about those lectures Anon?

tl;dr help a sexagenarian who can't get enough about Rome and is too patrish for BBC docs.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.