[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there like a crash course for understanding the middle ages?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1459194465023.png (487 KB, 541x582) Image search: [Google]
1459194465023.png
487 KB, 541x582
Is there like a crash course for understanding the middle ages? What are some good starter books for culture, religion, military, cooking, daily life etc? Like if you were to compose a list of literature for the class The Middle Ages 101 what would it consist of?
>>
A Tale of Two Churches.
>>
>a thousand years of the history of a whole continent and its dozens of countries
>crash course
ummm yeah no
>>
>>1133997

They ate nothing but gruel and mud pies.
>>
>>1134086
>>1134097

shut the fuck up

itunes.apple.com/itunes-u/early-middle-ages/id515946405?mt=10&pageMode=overlay
>>
>>1133997

R.W. Southern - The Making of the Middle Ages
R.H.C. Davis - A History of Medieval Europe from Constantine to Saint Louis
C.N.L. Brooke - Europe in the Central Middle Ages 962-1154
Z.N. Brooke - A History of Europe 911-1198
H. Pirenne - Charlemagne and Mohammed
A.H.M. Jones - The Later Roman Empire 284-602
C. Wickham - Framing the Early Middle Ages 400-800
C. Wickham - The Inheritance of Rome
J. Fried - The Middle Ages
J. Huizinga - The Waning of the Middle Ages

All are pan-European in scope and together, the entire period is well covered. Several are old, but all remain fundamental.
>>
>>1134104

I'd also add:

I. Mortimer - The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England

It sounds terrible and populist, but is actually an excellent scholarly exercise, well written and nicely organised. One of the best works to read if you want to get a sense of the texture of daily life in England/France c.13th-14th centuries.
>>
I think Europa: A History by Norman Davis would be a good place to start.
>>
Anyone gonna give out a short history between 300 AD - 1200 AD in Europe?

>Roman empire splits
>Factions devolve into feudal kingdoms with monarchs as head and church as guidance
>merchantilism grows
>contact with Islam brings knowledge of greeks/romans/asia to the Feudal Kingdoms
>contact with Asia brings trade/incentives

Thats all I really know
>>
>>1134143

See >>1134104

R.H.C. Davis
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.