[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Populism and the Paranoid Style in American Politics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Is Hofstadter correct that there is a "paranoid style in American politics"? Don't most countries have this kind of politics or is just America that attaches conspiracy theories to almost everything? Is it necessarily even a bad thing?
>>
>I choose American history to illustrate the paranoid style only because I happen to be an Americanist, and it is for me a choice of convenience. But the phenomenon is no more limited to American experience than it is to our contemporaries. Notions about an all-embracing conspiracy on the part of Jesuits or Freemasons, international capitalists, international Jews, or Communists are familiar phenomena in many countries throughout modern history. One need only think of the response to President Kennedy's assassination in Europe to be reminded that Americans have no monopoly of the gift for paranoid improvisation.

http://www.randomhouse.com/highschool/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780307388445&view=printexcerpt
>>
>>1133395
The guy most likely to become our next president spent years claiming that our president was actually a Kenyan because he's black. People actually believed his absurd and nonsensical conspiracy theory for some reason, and still respect him. Burgers in general are paranoid morons who follow fearmongering idiots.
>>
>>1133519
>The guy most likely to become our next president spent years claiming that our president was actually a Kenyan because he's black.

But he is half-Kenyan, his Dad was a Kenyan government official. Unless you are implying his real dad is Frank Marshall Davis...
>>
>>1133543
You're the type of sperg who corrects people when they ask questions with can instead of may, aren't you?
>>
>>1133552
I'm just trying to figure out if you're so against the "conspiracy theory" that he was born in Kenya that you are against any mention of the fact that he does in fact have Kenyan ancestry.
>>
>>1133567
>""""""""""""""""""conspiracy theory"""""""""""""""""""""

Why the scare quotes, bro? Don't be coy, let us know what's on your mind.
>>
>>1133567
I'm assuming you're not a burger or don't follow the news at all. Trump led the "birther" movement, he accused Obama of being a Kenyan citizen and not being an American citizen, and I highly doubt this nonsense would have gained any traction if he pulled the same shit with a non-shitskin. IE: McCain is clealry UK and not an American, where's his birth certificate! That would have just been laughed out, but /pol/ level mongs actually went along with him because niggers.
>>
>>1133591
>and I highly doubt this nonsense would have gained any traction if he pulled the same shit with a non-shitskin

You mean like when Trump accused Ted Cruz of being a Canadian citizen and the charge gained traction? Fucktard.
>>
>>1133591
except hillary clinton was the actual leader of the birther movement and she quietly stopped talking about it when it became clear she wouldn't become the candidate. the GOP and trump only adopted it out of convenience when it became clear that obama would be the nominee

also, mccain was born in fucking panama. i'm not even joking, it's on his wiki page.
>>
>>1133612
>McCain is clealry UK and not an American, where's his birth certificate!

Fun fact: McCain was literally born in Panama.

>>1133602
>You mean like when Trump accused Ted Cruz of being a Canadian citizen and the charge gained traction?

Did it? It seems more like Trump just kept yelling it and Obama's old prof decided to razz Cruz about.

>>1133606
>except hillary clinton was the actual leader of the birther movement

No. Surrogates made whispers about the subject during the primary. That was long before there was a 'birther movement'.
>>
>>1133461
>One need only think of the response to President Kennedy's assassination in Europe to be reminded that Americans have no monopoly of the gift for paranoid improvisation.

Europeans cared about JFK?
>>
>>1133618
>Fun fact: McCain was literally born in Panama.

On American soil though.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.