[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Of memes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: this isn't geography class.jpg (666 KB, 3000x2334) Image search: [Google]
this isn't geography class.jpg
666 KB, 3000x2334
Ok /his/, let's try to do a socio-historical analysis of memes.

First what is a meme ?

What's the earliest meme recorded in History ?

What impacts do they have on human societies ?
>>
File: 1461480824832.gif (1 MB, 200x254) Image search: [Google]
1461480824832.gif
1 MB, 200x254
an idea

gods and shit

im too scared to take a shot at this one
>>
A meme is something that richard dawkins made up. The original meme was dancing baby
>>
The earliest I can attest which was legitimately a meme was "Hippocleides doesn't care" in Ancient Greece.
>>
File: kilroy-was-here.png (221 KB, 1023x730) Image search: [Google]
kilroy-was-here.png
221 KB, 1023x730
An idea or concept going viral. It also depends on your point of view. You could consider any cultural, political or religious expression a meme as long as others take it over from you.

This might be the first global meme.

For one thing they can force ideas on masses by shear chance and/or social pressure.
Repeating things is one of the oldest ways to convert others to your way of thinking.
>>
>>1132244
>What's the earliest meme recorded in History ?
Carthago delenda est.
>>
File: 1461290028046.jpg (105 KB, 362x523) Image search: [Google]
1461290028046.jpg
105 KB, 362x523
Isn't a meme the minimal shape of the socially constructed reality?

The atom of our objective knowledge, the symbolic lenguague described by Jung.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_hares

The three hares is the oldest meme
>>
Le knight battling a snail meme was pretty popular
>>
>>1132273
Are religions the biggest memes throughout history ? I mean we're talking about some legendary figures living in the sky and doing shit, and people start going "hey that's cool" and go around repeating it again and again and more people like it and it goes snowball effect [spoiler]the scientific term for "viral" because hey[/spoiler] and it becomes shit when people start taking it seriously
>>
>>1132244
As cliche and meme as the concept of dragons being culturally widespread is, dragons are honestly one of the most widespread memes in human history.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.