[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it normal to have to read this very slowly, with many breaks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
Is it normal to have to read this very slowly, with many breaks?

It just doesn't FLOW. At all. I can read Foucalt, and it flows. I can read Aurelius, and it flows.

I might have to re-read a phrase, sentence, or paragraph up to SIX times in this fucking book to make sense of it.

Am I retarded? Is this translation terrible?

pls halp
>>
Who is this again? Luther?

Also yes, you are correct, the sentence structure seems almost intentionally dense and confusing.

>and does not reflect at all on how he must make his arrangements to have a thoroughly inconveniences of the life that depends on things, because...

This certainly looks like a bad translation. the middle part of the text isn't too difficult to get to but parts like this are weird, and I could write another 3 paragraphs on how the author could have gotten his point across easier just by changing sentence structure and nothing else.

post the book, edition, translation and maybe someone who knows more than me will be able to tell you if it's supposed to be like that or not
>>
>>1130707
It's Stirner. Ego and His Own.

>http://dflund.se/~triad/stirner/theego/theego.pdf
>>
it's, pretty, un, read, able; try, another, translation, perhaps?
>>
>>1130757
Can you (or anyone) recommend one?
>>
I had to take regular breaks with it. Go slow, don't be afraid to re-read, and think carefully about what you read.

I suspect he inherited his prose from Hegel.
>>
>>1130766
I'm Dutch, so I can't recc you a English translation. Godspeed
>>
>>1130774
I don't expect to be able to sit down and read the whole book in one or two goes like I can with fiction, but I'd like to at least be able to finish more than three-five paragraphs in a sitting.

You don't agree with >>1130707 that the translation is the problem here?
>>
File: 1445569759060.png (83 KB, 319x750) Image search: [Google]
1445569759060.png
83 KB, 319x750
>>1130746
oh right, Stirner. Figures.

I've actually heard plenty of things wrong with the Byington translation (including that the title itself is a misnomer), which is to my knowledge the only translation out there. It was translated in the 1900's and no one has bothered to do it again I guess.

Apparently someone's working on a ground-up retranslation
>http://calpress.org/2013/08/12/the-unique-its-own-project/
but it's up in the air and who knows when it'll be out. The first few chapters look like they're available if you want to check it out.

Can't help you beyond that I'm afraid
>>
>>1130804
I didn't read the whole page, but the translation looks pretty similar to the one I used. Stirner was described as having a very distinct form of prose, and going by Marx's critique of him, I suspect he may have needed a better editor.
>>
>>1130823
>which is to my knowledge the only translation out there
Thanks. I guess I should have Googled it myself first, kind of embarrassed now desu, I just assumed there would be more than one.

Well, maybe I can find a "for dummies" or "companion" sort of thing online to help this go a little faster, or I could take it less seriously and just move the fuck on when it seems to be nonsense or repeating itself.
>>
>>1130872
it's almost like you have to take notes just to keep track of the subject of each individual dependent clause. Good luck.
>>
>>1130746
What is it with Germans, man?
>>
>>1130920
just volk my shit up senpai
>>
>>1130653
It was at this moment that I knew philosophy was not for me.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.