[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could Sweden have remained a European superpower on the level
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 347x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 347x333
Could Sweden have remained a European superpower on the level of Britain and France if they hadn't gone full retard and invaded Russia?
>>
Yeah if they stayed aligned with poland against russia and invaded
>>
>>1130204
Let me guess, >muh protestantism got in the way of that?
>>
>Sweden
>European superpower
OP plz, if they had totally defeated Polen they would maybe have become stronger enough to attack russia
OR ally with Poland maybe, but there was that fucked up vasa stuff
>>
>>1130216
Naturally, but they weren't really aligned with any protestant powers either. I just say its the germanic disease where you have terrible diplomacy and territorial ambitions
>>
They were at an extreme disadvantage population wise. France and Germany had something like 15-20 times their population. They made up for it with their god-tier army, but it couldn't last forever.
>>
>>1130243
I think this is true. Sweden probably would have had to conquer something else and make it a major part of their country in order to be more viable.
>>
>>1130243
It was 7-8 times since they had norway, finland, ingria, estonia, and litivia
>>
File: 1452735334310.png (50 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1452735334310.png
50 KB, 1200x900
>on the level of Britain and France
They were never comparable to fucking France which was the biggest kid of the neighborhood till the 19th century

Sweden was strong for sure and easily a great power but France would've slapped it around
>>
>>1130194

No. Sweden is a tiny country compared to Britain. It has less than a sixth of the population of Britain.
>>
>>1130306
also remember British colonial power. Sweden had its chance only in the middle of 17th century
>>
File: solution to the german question.png (3 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
solution to the german question.png
3 MB, 1680x1050
Easily the greatest power with its industrialization, if it kept prussia
>>
>>1130194
Could be, but it seems to me their kings had a feudal mindset. A swedish Peter The Great would have made a difference
>>
>>1130325

Are you joking? Britain industrialised first if any nation.
>>
>>1130194

No, France subsidized Sweden, so not at their level.
>>
>>1130344
these aren't two contrasting statements
>>
File: 1461953736001.jpg (140 KB, 1016x700) Image search: [Google]
1461953736001.jpg
140 KB, 1016x700
>>1130334
>Swedish serfs
>Peter the first was a great leader
>>
>>1130356

Obviously claiming that Sweden was the greatest power in the world due specifically to industrialisation when there was a much larger power that was more advanced industrially is ridiculous.
>>
>>1130194
They would need rich agricultural land supporting large manufacturing and trade centers. They might accomplish this by forming a union with Denmark and directing their combined military might towards taking Schleswig-Holstein for Denmark and Prussia and Pomerania for Sweden then making it a policy to hold onto these lands while maintaining good relations with the Germans. They stood a chance of filling the role taken up by the later Kingdom of Prussia.
>>
>>1130325
epic
>>
Nah, Sweden became a "superpower" by lending money for wars they lost in the end. Became bankrupt until Bernadotte, a french man "bought" the country and became king, which his family still is today
>>
>>1130367
>Italy
>bonded peasantry
The fuck? Northern italian communes were literally the first emancipators in Europe.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.