[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
World War Zero brought down mystery civilisation of ‘sea people’
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: atlantis.jpg (491 KB, 1600x2020) Image search: [Google]
atlantis.jpg
491 KB, 1600x2020
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2087924-world-war-zero-brought-down-mystery-civilisation-of-sea-people/

>The Trojan War was a grander event than even Homer would have us believe. The famous conflict may have been one of the final acts in what one archaeologist has controversially dubbed “World War Zero” – an event he claims brought the eastern Mediterranean Bronze Age world crashing down 3200 years ago.

>And the catalyst for the war? A mysterious and arguably powerful civilisation almost entirely overlooked by archaeologists: the Luwians.

>By the second millennium BC, civilisation had taken hold throughout the eastern Mediterranean. The Egyptian New Kingdom coexisted with the Hittites of central Anatolia and the Mycenaeans of mainland Greece, among others.

>In little more than a single generation, they had all collapsed. Was the culprit climate change? Some sort of earthquake storm? Social unrest? Archaeologists can’t seem to agree.
>>
>pop his
>>
>>1125814
Pretty good game
>>
File: destroyed 1200bce.jpg (54 KB, 750x501) Image search: [Google]
destroyed 1200bce.jpg
54 KB, 750x501
>>1125814
I think the article is wrong about Troy and the Luwians being the origin of the sea peoples. and of the Trojan war itself. Like a bad egg, that theory just doesn't sit well with me.

But it is reasonable to think that the Mycenean civilisation collapsed shortly after the time of the Trojan War, with the war being placed at 1210-1180BC, and the destruction of the Greek cities happening around 1180. The rest of Eastern Mediterranean civilisations were destroyed shortly thereafter, yes; from Anatolia to Syria and Canaan, toppling like dominos. Pic related, unlike the OP (what is Indiana Jones to do with it?)

I believe there was a long and large scale war between a league of Greeks, and Troy and its Anatolian allies (Lycians, Phrygians, Carians etc.) as recorded by Homer and made plausible by archeology. The war would have concerned the control or plunder of Troy, which was ideally placed to grow rich from the benefit of trade, as it was situated between the Black Sea and the Aegean, East and West.

The war probably created social upheaval and unrest at home, of which Homer records the cultural memory in the Odyssey, when Odysseus returns home from Troy to find his palace affairs being ruined by 'suitors.'

So when the Greek cities tumble among the unrest (civil war) this negatively effects trade in the wider region, so the rest of the Eastern Mediterranean suffers. Out of this the mysterious sea peoples appear, and I think these are merely a barbarian-like confederation of displaced Myceneans, Anatolians, and other Aegean folk. Add to this the drought in the Levant and several natural disasters, and everything collapses short of Egypt.

Nevertheless it is a fascinating topic that always draws interest, so speculations like this still appear - and I will read it every time.
>>
Barely related to the subject

>http://www.scientiapress.com/trojan-roman

What if the sea people incursions were actually a series of troadian migrations and retaliation? Just asking out of sheer ignorance, mind you.
>>
Im think the "sea people" were simply a collection of marauding peoples displaced by the Thera eruption.
>>
Could this have been related to that epic battle in Bronze Age Europe where motherfuckers from all over the continent showed up?
>>
>>1127096
It's an interesting idea, that displaced Trojans settled Northern Italy and became known as Etruscans.

Herodotus writing in 5thC BC believed that Northern Italy was settled by Lydians from Western inland Anatolia. But you know, he told a few tall tales - he is also right about a lot of stuff.

I don't know. But if the Trojans/Troads of Homer have a basis in reality then they would have good knowledge of trading, working bronze, horsemanship, seamanship, and warfare. That would presumably give the Trojan settlers a headstart on whoever was in pre-historical Italy so that they could subjugate them, and thrive.
>>
>>1127304
But I think Etruscans weren't even indoeuropeans
>>
They were united pirates that just wanted to fuck shit up.
>>
File: 5thC BCE frescoe from Tarquinia.jpg (198 KB, 1024x568) Image search: [Google]
5thC BCE frescoe from Tarquinia.jpg
198 KB, 1024x568
>>1128389
We don't really know about the Etruscans, apart from they were a bona fide civilisation before the Latins/Romans emerged.

Their language is an enigma because it isn't related to any other known language in the area, as with the Sumerians in Mesopotamia. Perhaps it is related to the Minoans, whose written language has yet to be deciphered.

It is possible that Etruscans were one component of the Sea Peoples, who happened to move around and then settle, as is agreed to have happened to the Peleset who settled in Canaan.

The Egyptian sources note that the Sea Peoples were like a migration and contained women and children. They were civilisations on the move who bounced around the Med and probably settled eventually.
>>
>>1129407
Added to this, it occurs to me what a shame it is that Emperor Claudius' books on the Etruscans are lost. He reportedly wrote both a history and dictionary on them, as alluded to by contemporaries, and this would certainly have shed light on them.
>>
>>1126668
I think it's just as likely that the Atlantians rose up in their submarines just to fuck with the Greeks a little and then went back to their underwater paradise city.

Calling something that is theoretically possible "plausible" is a stretch. The existence of Troy is far from fact, same goes for Homer himself.
>>
File: 1420076759134.jpg (39 KB, 291x273) Image search: [Google]
1420076759134.jpg
39 KB, 291x273
>>1129464
You know I think i'm going to start to lose interest in history because the amount of lost history is too depressing.
>>
File: Troas.png (113 KB, 520x539) Image search: [Google]
Troas.png
113 KB, 520x539
>>1129570
The existence of Troy as depicted by Homer is a cultural memory, but archeology has uncovered a settlement that existed in the time and place Homer depicted it.

The Hittites called it Wilusa, and its natural harbor and position commanding the narrow strait between the Aegean and Black Sea would have made it tremendously wealthy - as would the abundance of copper and gold deposits in the immediate area. It would be a place worth warring for.

But no, it is apparently more plausible that Atlantians rose up in submarines in your absurd argument
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.