[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Consciousness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: o-NEIL-DEGRASSE-TYSON-facebook.jpg (270 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
o-NEIL-DEGRASSE-TYSON-facebook.jpg
270 KB, 2000x1000
Does he have a point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGekFhbyQLk
>>
>>1125540
>consciousness doesn't real
top kek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt9HSQZMQYM
>>
File: 8f3.jpg (31 KB, 472x298) Image search: [Google]
8f3.jpg
31 KB, 472x298
I ain't clicking that shit.
Present argument.
>>
>>1125707
The argument: "What is consciousness is the wrong question."
>>
File: meta.jpg (42 KB, 850x820) Image search: [Google]
meta.jpg
42 KB, 850x820
>>1125727
Seems fair enough.
Consciousness is a tool for an individual will.
What we want, that is the question. Consciousness should adapt to the answer.
>>
>>1125540
A better question to ask than "What is consciousness" is to ask why it's important.
What do humans gain from being self aware?
>>
>>1125540
why the fuck are they laughing and giggling? Do they really think science is just an episode of big bang theory?
>>
>>1125794
Because normies
>>
>>1125794
People laugh of Neil every time he tries to be funny.
>>
>>1125880
But he wasn't being funny

>queue audience laugh
>>
>>1125757
Nothing. It slows us down and nonsentient animals react much more efficiently. Seems like a mistake in evolution.
>>
>>1125540
>How can conscience be real if your brains aren't real?
Good job OP, you made me slightly mad
>>
>>1125903
*consciousness
>>
>>1125891
>Be homo sapiens
>Invent language
>Invent tools
>Build civilization
>Go to moon
>Invent internet
>So that faggots can call consciousness a mistake on an Algerian waffle making forum
>>
>>1125540
What would an astronomer know about neuroscience?
>>
>>1127323
What would a neuroscientist know abot conciousness?
>>
>>1127502
Maybe some physical structure and processes that give rise to it?
>>
>>1127543
>give rise to it?
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 142889363.jpg (30 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
142889363.jpg
30 KB, 640x360
>>1127543
>processes that give rise to it?

Thanks for the good chuckle.
>>
>>1127546
To be more specific, the continuously evolving subjective event and is dissolution.
>>
>>1127546
>>1127572
Dualists need to kill themselves
>>
>>1125540
> STEMlords literally DECADES behind Heidegger and Freud

top kek
>>
>>1125891
This is such a stupid and pseudo-nihilistic argument. Consciousness has brought about every form of bliss you have ever and will ever experience along with the progress of civilization, art, etc. that humans have completed. Whether or not you find any of that philosophically "meaningless" doesn't matter - it's important, and anyone who argues against that has no grasp on their own place in reality.
>>
>>1127683
Not that anon but dawkins would argue the opposite, that conciousness arose due to strong selection pressures, because the the trade off for a larger 'energy wasting brain' would need to be compensated with beneficial adaptive features.
>>
>>1127683
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting you underaged mongoloid. Fuck off.
>>
This guy is so fucking autistic, I can't stand him.
He constantly talks about shit he doesn't know anything about because he thinks he's smart so he has to be right by definition.

I remember when he tweeted some shit about how there's no "rape" in nature/biology/other species or something and the entire world laughed at him.

I mean there are arguments to be made for this "consciousness dont real roflmao" shit, just look at fellow fedora tipper Daniel Dennett. But it's obvious black science man is just trying to sound smart. Fucking retard has accomplished nothing in his life except pointlessly recategorize Pluto.
>>
File: 22.png (9 KB, 670x543) Image search: [Google]
22.png
9 KB, 670x543
>>1125540
The fuck is black science guy talking about?

Consciousness is literally the only thing you can know for certain that it exists..
>>
>>1127979
I think what he meant was that it might not be a matter of consciousness being a singular thing to know about and study, but may rather be a product of several processes, but I don't know. Honestly I'm not sure what his main point is anyway without the rest of his discussion.
>>
>>1127999
yeah good point, I need to hear the rest of the talk.
>>
>>1127686
>current year
>Freud
>>
>>1128029
>>1127999

The rest of the talk has fuck all to do with consciousness.
>>
>>1127979
>>1127999
The Newtonian physics analogy makes me think he considers that current approaches to the nature of consciousness aren't THE right ones, even if they have some predictive/explanatory power. Newtonian physics has a lot of both, but it's taken to be less complete/true than general relativity or quantum physics, which approach physics in a radically different way.

But maybe I'm hoping he isn't going for eliminative materialism because I die a little when smart people do that. It's not like those guys actually advance any knowledge on cognitive processes or the underlying physical processes. Really, it's just reverse solipsism. The mind as representation seems like a much more productive direction.
>>
>>1127979
>he fell for the Cogito ergo sum meme
daily reminder that Descartes was wrong in many ways. This meme needs to end.

>>1127999
so he's basically a 15 year old who has his first philosophical realisations? Wew lad. The dude needs to read a book.
>>
>>1125540
It's pretty safe to ignore absolutely everything he says.
>>
>>1125887
Hence
>tries to be funny
>tries
>>
>>1127695
You will never escape the fact that nothing is important. The harder you try to pretend that all of your philosophies actually amount to something, the more pitiful you look. Understand that you're trying to discount nihilism, The simple answer is that you can't. The reason that you can't is because you can't prove objectively that anything actually is what you say it is. All of your data is based on nought. You can believe all you want that the world has meaning and that things are actually important, but in the end in the back of your mind you should really know that it all amounts to nothing. Universe is void, it always will be. Stop fooling yourself just to feel comfortable or intellectual.
>>
File: Wittgenstein.jpg (55 KB, 701x559) Image search: [Google]
Wittgenstein.jpg
55 KB, 701x559
>a dozen pseudo-intellectuals who have never read anything outside of pop-sci or what their lecturers gave them attempt to speak about philosophy

I warned you all about this.
>>
>>1130552
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>1130409
>meme
>meme

Not even reading the rest of your post
>>
>>1130836
>>meme
>>meme

Not even reading the rest of your post
>>
>>1130539
I never said I was discounting nihilism, I was saying you're being a pseudo-nihilist, which you are. Importance =/= metaphysical meaning. All you're doing is trying to be edgy and philosophical when you can't even understand what you're supposed to be arguing about.

>All of your data is based on nought. You can believe all you want that the world has meaning and that things are actually important, but in the end

Again, importance =/= metaphysical "meaning". You are a fucking moron. Try to actually address the point at hand instead of spazzing out with something irrelevant so you can polish your fedora. The fact that humanity is where it is right now and that you enjoy anything at all speaks about the importance of consciousness due to its effect on us as a whole and on us as individuals.

>Stop fooling yourself just to feel comfortable or intellectual

You mean like you're doing?
>>
>>1125540
What is anything is the wrong answer then too. He should just shut up and go live in a whole somewhere
>>
>>1130930
A whole what?
>>
>>1130938
Hole I don't know why I said whole
>>
>>1127979
Do you? It has not been measured or interrupted then restarted trough exact methods that can be reproduced - it's just an concept.
>>
>>1132141
>>1130409

philosophical zombie detected
>>
>>1125891
Peter Watts is that you?
>>
>>1127979
>Consciousness is literally the only thing you can know for certain that it exists..
Define it then
>>
>>1134607
All your experience.
>>
>>1134620
So fish and birds are conscious right?
Since they also have experiences.
>>
>>1134630
We don't know. I'm just assuming you are by extension.
>>
>>1134630
They are, if there is something that is like to be those creature. Read Thomas Nigel.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.