[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok so i would like some more information on ancient indus folks,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image_1705_1e-Harappa.jpg (186 KB, 1280x845) Image search: [Google]
image_1705_1e-Harappa.jpg
186 KB, 1280x845
Ok so i would like some more information on ancient indus folks, who were they, how did they manage to build such a glorious, flourishing civilization in such an early era (It was the world's oldest civilization IIRC)? How did life in their world look like, what was their culture, their beliefs and day to day life like?
>>
>>1122783
They had sewage systems, making them considerably more advanced than modern Indians.
>>
>>1123130
should have seen this coming

Anyway
>It was the world's oldest civilization IIRC
I think it's pretty uncontested that Mesopotamia and Egypt are much older. To put it in perspective, when Indus Valley urban development was just getting kickstarted, Egypt was already getting unified under a Pharaoh.
>>
>>1122783

The people of the Indus valley probably believed in a kind of mother goddess similar to the Minoans on Crete, also for them water most likely would have been considered holy.
>>
>who were they
Ancestors of the people who nowadays live along the Indus valley and surrounding valley.
>How did they manage to build such a glorious, flourishing civilization in such an early era
The same way the Egyptian and Mesopotamian civilizations developed, it's not unique. Mesopotamia is older for sure. Living near rivers which deposit a fertile layer of silt regularly (Nile, Tigris, Euphrates, Indus) allowed for the earliest civilizations to flourish for obvious reasons.
>>
>>1125141

Do any African rivers have predicyable flood seasons?
>>
>>1122783
There was better sanitation in the region 4000 years ago than there is now
>>
>>1125182
The Nile la
>>
>>1125190
>>1123130

Technically seen, no. Around the time of the Indus valley Civilization most of India was inhabited by early agriculturalists and hunter-gatherers who probably defecated in forests or fields. Despite the fact that a lot of Indians either can't afford or are unwilling to use toilets, there still exists a considerable segment within the population of India (50 %) who regularly use latrines.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.