[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Echos of the Albigensian Crusade in 1930s Revolutionary Catalonia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: anti-clericals.jpg (65 KB, 615x418) Image search: [Google]
anti-clericals.jpg
65 KB, 615x418
I remember someone on here making a post here concerning the very excessive anti-clerical/anti-religious sentiments and action in revolutionary Catalonia in the 1930s, which - even by revolutionary standards - was seen as over-the-top by commentators in its intensity as well as in its participation by people not particularly affiliated with the Republican or Anarchist movements.

Could this especially fervent hatred for established religion (i.e. the Catholic Church) have been the result of some distant echo of the Albigensian Crusade against the Cathars, ingrained in the collective psyche of the people there? After all, Catalonia was Cathar heartland, and a very significant portion of the population there willingly discarded Catholicism for Catharism (only to be forcefully converted back under penalty of death under the Crusade which also razed the countryside and destroyed the autonomy of the local lords and merchant-oriented urban polities and forced them under the yoke of the feudal King of France).
>>
Or it could be that 99.99% of the gommies and other revolutionaries were anticlericals.
>>
>>1258760
This is bullshit but I choose to believe it because it's a nice narrative
>>
>>1258786
Well, as I said in my post, the anti-clericalism seen in Catalonia was noted for being particularly violent (more so than in other regions), and - most importantly - in that the anti-clericalism was grassroots, with people unaffiliated with the Leftist movements joining in and even starting up riots and the looting of churches and monasteries.

It simply seems too coincidental that the most fervent anti-clericalism in Spain happened to show itself in the same area that had some centuries earlier borne the brunt of a particularly devastating Crusade.
>>
>>1258760
I think it has more to do with the fact that the Catholic regime will always suck the dick of every monarch/dictator and people don't forget that they not only don't serve them but terrorize them mentally and physically.
>>
>>1258857
Let's not forget the Inquisition was first created in the region of Catalonia following the Albigensian Crusade!
>>
>>1258906
I like crackpot theories as much as the next guy but I don't think it's viable. I doubt anyone at that time even knew what an Albigensian was.
>>
>>1258936
>I doubt anyone at that time even knew what an Albigensian was

What do you mean? It's not as though the Albigensian Crusade was some event that was covered up and veiled in secrecy: historians and scholars have known about it since the day it happened.

I'm not saying this was a supernatural thing: rather, perhaps it was some resentment that was passed on by generations. After all, many lords had their lands revoked and peasants had their lands burned; it is not hard to conceive that - in much the same way Southerners to this day have some resentment for 'Yankees' and the federal government - this resentment continued to be held in the region, only to come to the front once the conditions were ripe and the Church was left in a spot where it was defenseless.
>>
>>1258760
>Catalonia was Cathar heartland

South France was the cathar hearthland. The king of Aragon was allied or overlord with several south-french nobles.
>>
>>1258760

Why would Spaniards have ancestral echoes of events that happened in France?

>>1258906

The Inquisition and the Spanish Inquisition are two different, though connected thing.
>>
>>1258952
If that was true anticlericalism should have been notable there at other times too, like during the napoleon occupation.
>>
>>1258760
Bump for interest.

I've read somewhere that during the French revolution, when the priests and nuns were going to be executed, passersby would hit them and shout "This one is for the Albigensians! And this is for the Templars!".

Anyone can confirm?
>>
>>1258857
>m-muh abuse
Kill yourself revisionist shitposter
>>
>>1259966
You can always find far-fetched excuses for whatever crimes you want to commit. It's on the the same level as muslim terrorist saying the Paris attacks are a retaliation for centuries of crusades.
>>
>>1260137
>revisionist shitposter accusing someone else of revisionist shitposting

projection, ruse, or insanity?
>>
>>1260203
You're right. Their attitude was not in the spirit of the cathars, who were non-violent and withstood genocide, torture and murder with mildness and saintly composure.
>>
File: 1457059242536.png (171 KB, 374x347) Image search: [Google]
1457059242536.png
171 KB, 374x347
>>1260137
>Catholic abuses
>"revisionist"

Your little Church has a very documented history of abuses and scandals, and you don't get to wave it away that easily just by saying "revisionist bullshit!"

Revisionist? More like you had never heard about some of the abuses in the first place.

There's the Albigensian Crusade, and the Bosnian Crusade, the Papal Schism, the persecution of the Waldensians, the general and well-known corruption of the Church in the Medieval period (so prevalent that one can pick up any piece of secular Medieval literature and find attacks against it)... And you go further down the line, and you get things like Catholic clergymen hiring hit-men and strikebreakers to outright kill or intimidate 'Progressive'-minded people in the 20th century (with a famous example being the Spanish Archbishop Juan Soldevilla y Romero, the ultra-reactionary Cardinal Archbishop of Saragossa who hired hit-men to gun down union organizers), to outright collaboration with Croatia's UstaĊĦe regime.
>>
>>1259966
That's actually really cute :3

[spoiler]I really like the Cathars[/spoiler]
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.