[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can any greekfags shed some light on a term used in Ephesian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: serveimage-28.jpg (51 KB, 400x385) Image search: [Google]
serveimage-28.jpg
51 KB, 400x385
Can any greekfags shed some light on a term used in Ephesians 2:2. In it Satan is called the "prince of the power of the air". What does it mean?

>Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience
KJV
http://biblehub.com/ephesians/2-2.htm

>ἐν αἷς ποτε περιεπατήσατε kατὰ τὸν αἰῶνα τοῦ kόσμου τούτου, kατὰ τὸν ἄρχοντα τῆς ἐξουσίας τοῦ ἀέρος, τοῦ πνεύματος τοῦ νῦν ἐνεργοῦντος ἐν τοῖς υἱοῖς τῆς ἀπειθείας·
Greek
http://biblehub.com/interlinear/study/ephesians/2.htm

Hail satan.
>>
>>1258581
It's not Satan. It's a modern understanding that is Satan. If Paul meant "Satan", Paul would not have any trouble saying "Satan". It's not a guessing game.

The "curse of the world" is original sin, "spirit at work in the disobedient" is the spirit of antichrist, or that which denies Jesus, so "ruler of kingdom and air" is whatever greek or roman god the people to whom he's speaking (gentiles, in this specific case believers in Ephesus) formerly worshiped. He's saying, "when you used to be one of and live among those who still deny Jesus". Not even sure how, entirely, people get satan from that at all. Seems ignorant.
>>
>>1258677
Every fucking thing is satan to them so they don't have to accept personal responsibility. As long as everything bad is satan, and they can say they're on the right side of things, they are never bad. Fucking trainwreck people fucking up christianity.
>>
>>1258677
Thanks, but I'm a bit confused. The translation is:

>Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to

If "curse of the world" is original sin how does that accord to a pagan god? Wasn't their 'god' artemis/diana?
>>
>>1258721
You're reading Paul's words, so to him, "curse of the world" is God's (YHWH) curse of original sin. He continues to imply "those beliefs which are man made via that curse", or false gods, the spirit that's now in those who deny Jesus (children of disobedience).

The NIV Ephesians 2 says ,1 and 2, "As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient."

So, if "all foreign false gods created by men by virtue of the fact they had original sin" are Satan (which that is never, ever what satan is, satan is not created by man) then you get "Satan is the prince of the power of the air". This is the nature of modern christianity, also that "all sheol" and "all gehenna" and "all hades" are "all hell", and so anything that depicts sheol, gehenna and hades becomes hell, which is complete bullshit, too.
>>
Modern christians from about 1500 forward have taken christianity and turned it into something it was never meant to be. Catholics, no pointing fingers, you've done the same thing.
>>
>>1258812
On a final note, I kinda neglected to detail, Paul is talking to people in Ephesus. These are people in Turkey, Hellenic Greeks, closely related to Ionians, living in the Roman empire. Those people did not worship Satan. Those people worshiped Zeus, Apollo, Aphrodite, et.al. and they had never even heard of Satan, because I will tell you, Jews didn't run around yelling "Satan Satan Satan" like modern christians do. Satan is entirely not now, what it was, or even is now, to Jews. So if a person pulls his head from his bottom, he realizes, Paul is talking to people in the Ephesian church who used to be gentiles who worshiped a pantheon of polytheistic spirits. There are still people there , at that time, in that town, who believed in the polytheistic following, not Satan. Those polytheistic people who would not convert were people who denied Jesus and this had the spirit of antichrist.

I hope that helps.
>>
>>1258812
Ok, thanks again. That makes more sense.

>if you don't convert to my faith you are being 'disobedient'
That's some totalitarian shit right there.

>>1258850
>people who denied Jesus and this had the spirit of antichrist
i..e just rejecting it is considered being against it
>>
>>1258874
Yes, Paul was like that. He believed, as do most Christians, the way to the father is through the son. The son sacrificed himself so you don't need to do more sacrifices and other stuff in the temple according to covenant law, to earn God's forgiveness and grace, because he saw the temple was going to be destroyed. Once you can't do one part of covenant law it's all forfeit. Jews "fixed" this by abandoning, in 70ad, covenant Judaism and adopting rabbinical judaism (and all the Sadducees were out of a job).
>>
>>1258886
Pauline authorship of Ephesians has been challenged.
>>
>>1258895
By fools.
>>
>>1258895
Everything is challenged all the time. Truth be told, the guy had dents in his head from being stoned half to death a couple times and left for dead, not to mention he languished in prisons for a time. He traveled with his own doctor and was probably lucky he was still alive and had half of his facilities. I imagine he did have someone write for him, but still I'd take the words as the personal sentiment of Paul, i.e. from Paul.
>>
>>1258895
Ephesians 1

Greeting

1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God,

To the saints who are in Ephesus, and faithful in Christ Jesus:

2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
>>
>>1258922
Yes its not like anyone ever forged anything. It was actually a common practice to attribute authorship to a more authoritative figure than yourself
>>
>>1259195
Yes, let's just lump the bible in with every uninspired and non-divine work. Surely that will work out just great.
>>
>>1259195
It was an epistle, not an accounting or a "story according to ( X )" or "in the manner of ( X )". It was a formal letter from a guy to people who recognized and were acquainted with the author.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.