[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are the writings of philosophers intentionally convoluted out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1452011961866s.jpg (7 KB, 249x250) Image search: [Google]
1452011961866s.jpg
7 KB, 249x250
are the writings of philosophers intentionally convoluted out of vanity ?
>>
>>1121110
Kant was criticized in his time for being deliberately obfuscatory.
>>
>>1121118
what do you think was his motive for that ? is it just easier write in such a style and not focus on clarity or was he just vain?
>>
The Greeks and their dialogues are very readable

Kant was an illiterate man who should have hired a scribe

The Tractatus Logicus-Philosophicus and Wittgenstein in general avoid being convoluted
>>
>>1121130
The ideas philosophers like Kant were trying to express were extremely complex. Often a lot of these concepts had never been spoken about before, attempting to express something completely unheard of in a concise fashion is not as easy as critiquing it.
>>
>>1121146
This could be said for philosophy as a whole though, attempting to express new ideas in an old vocabulary is a daunting task.
>>
>>1121110

I think it depends on the period. Greek philosophers tend to be straightforward, as long as it's a good recent translation (some of the 19th century English translations are kinda dense.)
>>
>>1121110
No, but being convoluted is a fad to some postmodern philosopher and sociologists, or even their whole point. i.e. Homi Bhaba
>>
In the case of continental philosophy it is, because it's literally just word games.
>>
>>1122923
>Man is something that must be overcome!
>PROOF? EVIDENCE? OBSCURANTIST TWADDLE *TIPS FEDORA*

Spot the autist
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.