[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If consciousness is the only thing that isn't an illusion.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: driller.jpg (154 KB, 650x434) Image search: [Google]
driller.jpg
154 KB, 650x434
If consciousness is the only thing that isn't an illusion.

And upon death we lose consciousness.
Why do people care about the future after your death?
>>
There is no evidence to believe that consciousness is not an illusion as well.
>>
I think consciousness isn't an illusion.
Everything is ultimately physical, that includes this text, your empirical senses, your thoughts, etc.
Things don't change when you die, you just stop living but the lights won't go out and the show won't stop.
That's how I perceive it anyway.
>>
>>1121157
They only thing you are is consciousness. It's the only thing there is. When consciousness stops everything stops. The universe ends.
>>
File: bane.jpg (19 KB, 740x455) Image search: [Google]
bane.jpg
19 KB, 740x455
>>1121228
For you.
>>
>>1121143
cogito ergo sum
>>
File: wheresaremotewhenyouneedone.png (1 MB, 2000x1579) Image search: [Google]
wheresaremotewhenyouneedone.png
1 MB, 2000x1579
>>1121098
Regarding the afterlife, the issue isn't so much whether consciousness is an illusion or not but whether this potential illusion requires particular neuronal activity.

While the former is hotly contested, the latter is strongly established. Every single discipline in science and philosophy that addresses that issue nearly unanimously agrees with. You'd be on par with flat earthers, if not worse, to deny that our mental states are causally linked with neurophysiological ones. It'd be foolish of me to bluff here as all this info is readily available online.

Because this strongly implies (though nothing can technically prove) that human mental states are not present without neurophysiological activity, the burden of proof is transferred to those who claim otherwise. It should be somewhat telling that the most common argument posited is our lack of definitive proof.

It would make absolutely no sense whatsoever to claim that we have to outright prove it before the burden of proof is transferred. All we have to do is credibly suggest it, which we've done way more than enough of.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.