[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were fairy tales "sanitized" in the 20th century, as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: cinderella1.jpg (136 KB, 494x512) Image search: [Google]
cinderella1.jpg
136 KB, 494x512
Were fairy tales "sanitized" in the 20th century, as is so often claimed in various online articles?

Should people blame Disney for the sanitation of fairy tales--particularly starting with their animated films from the 1930s-50s (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty)--when only one of these (Snow White) was based on a version with darker elements that Disney removed? And some of the Grimm fairy tales, such as Aschenputtel, are considerably newer than earlier versions like Perrault's Cinderella, which contains none of the eye pecking or foot slicing of the Grimm version?
>>
I think it was a result of fairy tales going from brutal cautionary tales to fetishistic escapism for children and/or little girls.
>>
You would be amazed if you knew how many fairy tales have hidden sexual connotations.
>>
To some extent, yes. But mostly no.

Those online articles tend to take the "Grittiest" version of a fairy tale and use it to imply Disney and/or parents sanitized them. But Aschenputtel is not The Little Glass Slipper, The Sleeping Beauty in the Wood is not Sun Moon and Talia, etc. So when an article brags about how Disney sanitized Cinderella because the stepsisters don't get their eyes pecked out, or because Sleeping Beauty wasn't raped, well... neither of those Disney films were based on those fairy tales.

The only Disney film based directly on a Grimm fairy tale was Snow White, which was altered. Instead of the piece of cursed apple being dislodged from Snow White's throat (because she was slapped by a servant tired of carrying her dead ass around in 1812, in later editions because the servant tripped on the way to the king's castle) it's true love that wakes her; instead of the queen showing up at the wedding and dancing to death in hot iron shoes, she falls off the cliff.

The Grimm brothers sanitized their own fairy tales, also. For example, in their first published version of Rapunzel, the witch finds out because Rapunzel's stomach swells and her clothes no longer fit aka the entire time the prince and Rapunzel had been fucking. In their edited version, Gothel finds out because Rapunzel asks "why are you so much harder to pull up than my prince, Frau Gothel?" In the Frog Prince, the just-turned-back-into-a-prince frog and the princess fuck on the bed she flung him on, whereas in the later edition they get married. in the original Snow White, it's Snow White's own mother who tries to kill her, and in the revised edition it's her stepmother. And so on.

Their original collection of fairy tales published in 1812 was meant to be a collection of folk and fairy tales, as-is. Then the book became popular with parents and they complained about the violence, sex and brutality, so the Grimm brothers complied and edited them down for younger audiences.
>>
>>1120232
2/2

And I think it's less that people sanitized fairy tales, and more that the magical, non-Grimm versions of most fairy tales are what most of the hundreds of children's book authors used for their own adaptations of fairy tales. So by proxy, the Grimm (or other) versions which contained the violence or sex were not "whitewashed" but were set aside for Perrault etc.
>>
The Little Match Girl has to be the most fucked up fairy tale I've ever read, it tears my heart apart whenever i read it
>>
>>1120280
>>
>>1120104
Fairy tales are "sanitized" derivations of folk tales, so of course most of the gritty material would be censored (unless it serves as a negative consequence to teach a lesson). Most of the bizarre material with unnecessary violence or lewdness, if it does not serve a moral purpose, can probably be chalked up as a remnant of whatever folk tale it came from.
>>
Nope

Disney merely related stories ALREADY sanitized by the Victorians who created the "children are innocent fragile flowers" meme
>>
>>1120104
>Were fairy tales "sanitized" in the 20th century, as is so often claimed in various online articles?

No, they were sanitized in the 19th century. The Victorians turned the weird old faeryfolk of British and Irish myths into twee little winged cherubs and flower-faeries, the Hollywood Jews merely continued in this vein.
>>
>>1120363
AND THEN SUDDENLY A WEALTHY CHILDLESS COUPLE RODE PAST IN THEIR CARRIAGE AND ADOPTED THE LITTLE ANGEL AS THEIR OWN

HER ASSHOLE FATHER DIED OF AIDS AND WAS TOSSED INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE FOR ALL ETERNITY

That's how it ended, and I'm sticking to it
>>
>>1120232
I am glad to hear that women were already whores and that betas were already loving to try to please women in bed.
>>
>>1123211
>The mighty gods of Britain have been reduced to a synonym for homos

What a fate
>>
>>1123239
>>The mighty gods of Britain

Eh some faerys might have been gods at one time, but most of them were something more like nymphs or genii locii. But even being reduced to a faerytale is better than to be forgotten completely, or for your name to become a synonym for the Christian devil, as happened to Perkele.
>>
>>1123211
This. And with regards to fairies, they had begun their transformation into saccharine spirits all the way back in Elizabethan times. If you ever read J.R.R. Tolkien's "On Fairy-Stories" you'll learn just how incredibly butthurt about this he was
>>
>>1123270
>way back in Elizabethan times.

True enough, "Midsummer Night's Dream" most notably. The King and Queen of the Faeries were still figures of gravitas for Shakespear, but the irreverence of his script is clear.

Although even in Coleridge's time, faerys still had a tradition of being mysterious and not especially benign, as with the Lady Geraldine-
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/43971
>There she sees a damsel bright,
>Drest in a silken robe of white,
>That shadowy in the moonlight shone:
>The neck that made that white robe wan,
>Her stately neck, and arms were bare;
>Her blue-veined feet unsandl'd were,
>And wildly glittered here and there
>The gems entangled in her hair.
>I guess, 'twas frightful there to see
>A lady so richly clad as she—
>Beautiful exceedingly!
>>
>>1123205

>"children are innocent fragile flowers"

the thing with children in victorian times was that while certain classes had practicaly proto-modern living standards, medicine and such was still so underdeveloped infant mortality was realy high across the board, and even older children were prone to going out before year 10

thats why victorians, well middle/upper class ones at least, had that whole bizare cult of childrens innocence and fragility and so on, which seems to have been a general mistake

it was realy just a reaction to repeated trauma, it would of been weird to see what working class kids would of thought of all that crap

before that apparently people were more gritty and just took it all as another aspect of life being shit, and children being semi-animalistic non persons
>>
>>1123239
>>1123249
Meanwhile the Anglo-Saxon gods get the days of the week to themselves.
Germanics: 1
Celts: 0
>>
>>1123350

Brigid is still worshiped as a Saint to this day. And Halloween is a better pagan holiday than Easter.
>>
>>1120104
Kinda? Fairy tales are different for different cultures. There is sensitization in Disney's cinderella, but way when compared to Aschenputtel than Cenerentola
>>
>>1123361
*its way more sensitized compared to Aschenputtel than compared to Cenerentola
>>
>>1123355
>worship as a Saint
>worship
Now That's What I Call Heresy
>>
>>1120280
it's great, the best fairy tale I've read. HC Andersen is a real human bean
>>
>>1123382

I don't distinguish between the various gods Christians worship. It's all nonsense anyway.
>>
>>1120104
In sleeping beauty doesn't the prince rape her or something?
>>
>>1123383

The Little Mermaid. Andersen is a dick.
>>
>>1120280
>>1120363
i cri evrytiem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tUNSw3YHJY
>>
>>1120280

death and the goose boy does this for me. goddamn that story
>>
>>1120104
>blame Disney
>blame
That implies it was a bad thing.
>>
>>1123409
The story is obviusly about the dangers of following your heart like a normie. He was trying to warn us.
>>
>>1123451
Care to share it? Never heard of it
>>
>>1120280

"Some more modern versions have changed the ending, so that a kind family rescues the girl from the cold and gives her good food, warm clothing, and a soft bed."

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
I don't know, man. If only there were some way to check this and cross reference things.

Pity the ability doesn't exist. We'll never know, OP. Next question?
>>
>>1123687

If it was, then explain the whole "WOULD YOU LIKE A SOUL? HAHA NO U" epilogue?

Guy hates mermaids with a passion.
>>
Why did old fashioned folktales have such grim endings?
>>
>>1123958
Less tale, more cautionary?
>>
>>1123958
you could often think of them as warning tales
little different to "don't go with strangers" or "careful when crossing the streets" today
>>
1st chapter of The Great Cat Massacre is about fairytales and sanititation.
>>
Are British "we'll scare em' straight" PSAs the modern cautionary tales?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E
>>
>>1120280
>>1120363
What stupid fucking fairy tale.
>Once upon a time there was a little match girl who lived in Russia and it was so cold that she died. The fucking End.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.