[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about Louis. Was he a good monarch, or as some people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Louis.jpg (165 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
Louis.jpg
165 KB, 768x432
Tell me about Louis. Was he a good monarch, or as some people think, the best monarch France ever had?
>>
He was ok. He was mostly lucky enough to become king just as France had become the dominant power of Europe once again, which was mostly thanks to the work of Richelieu. Louis XIV was reasonably good at exploiting this advantage, and used it to durably expand France's borders, and neuter the French nobility.

He was far from the best monarch France ever had though. I'd put Philip Augustus, Philip the Fair, Saint Louis, Louis XI, not to mention several Merovingians and Carolingians ahead of him.
>>
He burned my hometown in the war of palatines succession. So he is the greates evil.

No but seriously
>>1119444
This
>>
>>1119417
>as some people think, the best monarch France ever had

Who thinks that?
>>
>>1119417
Apart from politics, he was a man of great taste and patronized some of the greatest writers and artists in French history.
>>
>>1119503
French, he's the only king we really study at school, the "sun-king" = best king.most of the French only know about Charlemagne Jeanne d'arc, Louis XIV and Napoleon
>>
>>1119526
>French, he's the only king we really study at school

I remember Saint Louis, Henri IV, Clovis and Charlemagne getting as much attention as him. Charles Martel and Pépin le Bref also had honorable mentions.
>>
>>1119588
lmao you must be old as fuck
>>
>>1119605
I'm 25, that's hardly old as fuck
>>
>>1119617

Thats like a 1/4 of a century, yo
>>
>>1119617
The only French kings I learned about in (French) school were Louis XIV (because very evil) and tangentially Louis XVI through the Revolution. Literally not even a word about any others (except Charlemagne, but he was portrayed as proto-European).
>>
>>1119526
he was not a great king , he nearly drove france into the ground with all these wars , famine and misery were extremely common.

he's just a symbol of over the top absolutism t.b.h
>>
>tfw we learn more about french kings in german school than the french
>>
>>1119835
Gotta remember why you hate the French so much, with the anglos memeing over France-Germany wars all the time.
>>
He was lucky to be King of France when it was at its best.

In terms of capability in strengthening the French monarch, Philip Augustus and Philip IV were greater (even if Philip the Fair was pretty much a comic book villain).
In terms of being a good King for his subjects, Louis IX was clearly much better than he was. People looked up to him more than they did at the Holy Roman Emperor (Frederick II), even if the Emperor was much stronger in power.
>>
>>1119444
>Phillip the fair
>treacherous thief that caused the hundred years war
>good
>>
>>1120027

>treacherous thief that caused the hundred years war

Wat ? It's not his fault his 2 of his 3 sons were cucks and died so fast.

If there's anyone to blame for the HYW it's Isabelle of France or Robert d'Artois
>>
>>1120031
>It's not the fathers fault the children were retarded and couldn't rule for shit
Either he did a shitty job raising them, or the Capets were the unluckiest fucks in Europe. Also fuck you, Robert d'Artois was a boss.
>>
>>1120031
shouldn't have messed with the knights templar desu, they always win in the end
>>
>>1120041

What caused the war was the series of deaths of sons and grandsons.
And that has to do more with unluckyness than with good pareting.
>>
>>1120041
>>1120046

>or the Capets were the unluckiest fucks in Europe

Well until phillip they used to be the luckiest dynasty in europe since their king never died without a male son.

Seem like phillip the fair attracted bad luck tho since suddenly 4 kings died in a row without this male son

Maybe it was the templar's curse, maybe it was god's punishement to him for messing with the pope too.
>>
>>1119417
He was pretty lucky that France was a large and unified kingdom with (by the time) modern bureaucracy.

However his wars greatly drained France (Louis XV couldn't hope to face all of Europe like his Great-grandfather could), his absolutism retarded French economical growth (unlike Britain) and it exhausted the governmental machine.

In fact if the allies weren't stupid Louis was going to give up ALL the lands he conquered since 1648 in 1709.
>>
>>1120027
What are you even babbling about?
>>
>>1119989
We're actually the same people. The difference is that they were in the mostly romanised region of the frankish empire
>>
File: leroidanse.png (480 KB, 640x352) Image search: [Google]
leroidanse.png
480 KB, 640x352
BUMP POUR LE ROI SOLEIL
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.