[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was 1968 really that important, historic, or history changing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: 1101880111_400.jpg (46 KB, 400x527) Image search: [Google]
1101880111_400.jpg
46 KB, 400x527
Was 1968 really that important, historic, or history changing? Or is it just a year that's become overhyped by the Baby Boomers?
>>
File: 4d4b000000000000.jpg (83 KB, 992x744) Image search: [Google]
4d4b000000000000.jpg
83 KB, 992x744
>>1118608
It's just boomers being self-obsessed.

Hippies didn't accomplish anything until they grew up and infested the formal power structure. Ironically, instead of creating a world if freedom and love they've become just as oppressive as their parents. Only this time in the name of liberalism.
>>
File: 71nfznxn5ml._sl1300_.jpg (301 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
71nfznxn5ml._sl1300_.jpg
301 KB, 1300x1300
>>1118608
1966 is the bigger year because it's when The Beach Boys released Pet Sounds, the first modern album.
>>
>>1118608
>>social revolts across the globe, even in the COMBLOC
>counter-culture shits the bed after having several years of success
>conservative reaction creates a status quo
>ultimately signified that the post-war dream was over and reality had to snap back
I don't know about history "changing," but it was certainly a historic year.
>>
If you can point the death of Modernity and the beginning of Postmodernity to a single date, it's 1968.

In the same way that everything in Postmodernism is a parody of Modernism, the era began with a parody of the French Revolution. And even though it and similar student movements elsewhere failed to take power by force, there was a fundamental cultural change. The old leftism, that of equality and class struggle was gone, replaced by the leftism of identity politics, created by the combination of post-structuralist philosophy and American civil rights movements. It's the beginning of third wave feminism, contemporary anti-racism, and the systematic deconstruction of every modern and pre-modern construct, of nation, state, and family, even of art and science. It's the foundation of a new Western religion built on the Holocaust, held up as the proof that Modernity had failed and that all its constructs can be equaled to the Nazis.

It's the birthdate of the world we still live in for now.
>>
>>1118608
It was the year of my birth.

I was born the day MLK was shot.

>old, old fag
>>
File: 1462295547966.jpg (394 KB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1462295547966.jpg
394 KB, 2000x1200
It all went downhill from there. Read Generation Identity Manifesto.
>>
>>1118676
typical millenial generation nothing
>>
>>1118720
So it was basically a shittier 1848?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.