[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So do you guys actually know anything about philosophy, or do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 610x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 610x700
So do you guys actually know anything about philosophy, or do you just read Wikipedia for 15 minutes before shitposting?
>>
>>1115812
I don't even bother reading Wikipedia.
>>
I took a philosophy 101 course in college 6 years ago, so I'm an expert
>>
I took two classes on political philosophy last year

I'd be lying if I said I understood ant of it

I remember quite liking Rawls
>>
i like rococo
>>
>>1115856
rococo would be so nice if it didn't have prisses in powdered wigs dotting every scene
>>
Masters degree in Philosophy here.

I shitpost here because seriously discussing philosophy with anyone who isn't dedicated to actually learning is a waste of time.
>>
>>1115812
Read several actual of the source books.
Read some books that are commentaries/summaries.
Saw a lot of youtube videos of college professors discussing various philosophies (real lectures like 30+ minute long stuff)

In general /his/ is a shitty place to discuss philosophy. There's a lot of people that seem to have Wikipedia tier knowledge but are very opinionated and will spend a whole thread "debating" about something they don't even understand. It's very hard to get an elevated discussion because so many people do not understand the basics. Than there are the positivist/religious morons that go into full defense mode whenever they see something that threatens their world view and just general stupid questions like "Is X moral" "What's the meaning of life".
>>
>>1115812
>15 minutes
Ain't nobody got time fo dat!
>>
>>1115812
>15 minutes
Try 15 seconds, senpai.
>>
>>1116609
I only took intro level classes but I've spent a lot of time over the years educating myself (online, books I've purchased, just 'doing' philosophy) I've always wondered how well I'd do in a master's or even doctoral level setting. What are some examples of ideas or concepts you'd have to know to be considered proficient at philosophy at that level?
>>
>>1117446
You just take classes, man. Modern universities hand out Master's to anyone that can write a decent treatise or dissertation.
>>
>>1115812
No but I know that this is a fragonard painting and I never claimed to know about philosophy in the first place
>>
>>1116563
the cute girls are the best part
>>
>>1115812
I come here for the history part, not the humanities part.
>>
File: edmund-burke-1.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
edmund-burke-1.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
the only philosopher I've actually read enough to actually have any good understanding of is Edmund Burke. btw if you're a right winger, READ BURKE. It'll blow you away how smart he is.

I have general knowledge of the standard fare, aristotle, plato, hobbes, locke, hume, bentham, mill, rousseau, voltaire, nietzsche, foucault, etc. but really only enough to memepost about them, not say anything intelligent.
>>
>>1115812
Wiki it and shit post it on 4chan is my motto. In all seriousness I do read Wealth Of Nations.
>>
>philosophy
Dude what if we like
What if
Dude,like what if like we could all live happily together like brothers like you feeling me man are you like catching my drift? Like ideals man, what's up with that? Like can we unite please like dude imagine all the people together.
>>
Currently studying Political Philosophy (meme degree I know) so i've read a fair bit of source texts and analysis and critique of them. I'd be lying if I said it was an extensive or particularly deep understanding of any though.
>>
>>1118679
Aristotle's Politics is a good read.Never read the whole thing,but we've done fair portions of it in high-school.Bonus points if you can read it in ancient greek.
>>
I have a minor in philosophy, read a lot and know a few professional philosophers, so I'd say I'm generally pretty informed and know enough to know when to shut up on a topic.

All I can say is /his/ is kind of a hellhole. Far too many people have opinions and not enough want to discuss and learn. It's really rather irritating. /his/ is too fast of a board to really have nice discussions. And when you do get a thread going it's mostly idiots yelling their ignorant opinions louder and louder to speak over each other.

I do my best but I can only do so much.
>>
>>1116916
>Than there are the positivist/religious morons that go into full defense mode whenever they see something that threatens their world view and just general stupid questions like "Is X moral" "What's the meaning of life".
Yeah, this pretty well sums it up. All of the above degrade the quality of discussion and drive out the meaningful posters.

/Phil/ when
>>
halfway to ba in philosophy with plans to go to phd. I know a few things.
>>
What if I prefer my personal philosophies based on my thoughts and experiences?
>>
>>1120163
Good for you than. I'd rather have a discussion with someone that actually is familiar with the the various schools of thought, their foundations, how they interconnect and their affects on history. Changes are whatever you thought was said more profoundly and better reasoned a few hundred or thousand years ago. If you want to have an actual discussion about any subject you need to be familiar with it, otherwise it's just shit-posting.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.