[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>From the time of Alexander the great until the 19th century
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: railroad.jpg (106 KB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
railroad.jpg
106 KB, 500x344
>From the time of Alexander the great until the 19th century the fastest form of transportation over land never changed

I never really thought of railroads as interesting until I heard this fact.
>>
There has been some changes in cart technology though.
>>
>>1114056
Yeah, but that didn't make anything go faster. The top speed over land was always the top speed of a horse.
>>
That's why we had boats
>>
What was it that stopped ancient civilisations from finding the use of electricity?
>>
>>1114027

yes railroads were interesting in that they helped kill romanticism and interesting things by furthering technology along.
>>
>>1114081
Probably pure coincidence along with lack of scientific and technological knowledge.
>>
>>1114083
You are aware when and where the cultural movement of romanticism developed.

p.s.: And dark satanic mills.
>>
>>1114099

Yes in a tiny field in england without trains i imagine.
>>
>>1114027
It fascinates me too.

Although the Romans and Greeks get a lot of admiration for their civilisations, people still tend to view them as backwards compared to even 1500. This is not true, there isn't any real reason to suggest the Romans were any less organised than say Europe during the time of Napoleon. The technology, was more or less the same in terms of how it impacted the running of the society.
>>
>>1114027
coal etc
>>
>>1114125
awful post
>>
>>1114081
They had slaves instead.
>>
>>1114056
>changes
>cart
>technology
>>
>>1114062

Top speed isn't relevant at all when considering transportation.

We don't drive to work in F1 racing cars, do we?

Transportation in 18th century England was certainly for efficient and speedy than transportation during the time of Alexander the Great.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.