[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ancient Greeks and Egyptians knew full and well that the Earth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Ancient Greeks and Egyptians knew full and well that the Earth was round. It was also an accepted doctrine of the Catholic Church. And yet there went this guy, claiming that he can reach India by sailing west.

Was he bullshitting the queen for monetary support? Was he actually believing this? Or is it all just a misinformed meme history?
>>
I'm confused, you're asking why, if most people thought the world was round, Columbus would accept simple geometric principles such as going west to circumnavigate to the east?
>>
File: 1453192668416.gif (2 MB, 230x250) Image search: [Google]
1453192668416.gif
2 MB, 230x250
>>1113970
I... Just woke up okay? I had this nagging question that I could not explain, and I guess I now know why.
>>
>>1113928
He underestimated the size of the earth which is why people opposed him. Even Isabella was sure he wouldn't return.
>>
>>1113981
Consider Magellan, who's crew mostly died on his horrific circumnavigation voyage.
>>
>>1113928
The world being round is exactly why Columbo thought his plan would work.

India is to the east, therefore since the world is round if we sail west we'll eventually hit India.
>>
>>1113928
Folks reckoned the earth had a circumference of around 40.000 km (9% off from the real circumference). Columbus said it was like half that and that by sailing west he would reach India or the Spice Islands in a couple of weeks. If America wasn't there he would have had to sail for like 230 days on open sea without water restocking which means certain death.
>>
>>1114115
FYI the Route to India by rounding Africa still took people close to a fucking year and they could restock supplies along the way, traveling for more than say six or seven weeks on open sea was not viable in the time of Columbus.
>>
>>1114115
>>1113928
In fact the circumference was correctly calculated by Eratosthenes in 3BC at 40000 km but later on, Ptolemy in 2AD botched his own calculus at 33000 km. Unfortunately, Ptolemy became the new reference for geography, and Columbus followed him and not the old and correct circumference.
>>
>>1113985
>Start:
5 ships, 237 men
>Finish
1 Ship. 18 Men.
>>
>>1114129
>Eratosthenes

The first beta male.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.