[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hedonism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: 1447014619267.png (357 KB, 568x640) Image search: [Google]
1447014619267.png
357 KB, 568x640
Question for Anti-Hedonists: Do you eat meat? If so, why? If you argue that it is for nutrition, do you eat Offal as well (Organs contain the most vitamin in the body, so eating them would be most efficient)? If Neither, then you do realize you put an animal through a lifetime of suffering for your own pleasure and convenience
>>
>Do you eat offal
Yes, asado, morcilla and churrasco.
>>
i eat meat because i want to

question for hedonists: why dont you just kill yourself with a heroin overdose?
>>
>>1112957
>then you do realize you put an animal through a lifetime of suffering for your own pleasure and convenience
>implying this is bad
By extension of this principle, reproducing is immoral as you are subjecting another animal to suffer a life for your own innate desires.
>>
>>1112996
T. schopenhauer
>>
>>1112992
Easy, you get to experience more pleasure in the future.
Dying means an end to stimulus, which means no more pleasure and thats something I don't want
>>1112996
How is anyone suffering?
are you talking about giving birth?
Because the satisfaction of child rearing far overcomes the pain of giving birth
>>
>>1113009
time is only a concept of the mind though. If your dead time is a meaningless factor
>>
>>1112957
Man look ideological purity has a time and a place

>>1113006
The dude made some worthwhile points
>>
>>1113019
He wasn't bad by any means, I think a lot of people get asshurt and oversimplify what his ideas were though.
>>
>>1113009
You missed the point. OP implied that gaining satisfaction from putting an animal through a life of suffering for pleasure/convenience is wrong. If child rearing does bring you pleasure, how is it not the same situation?
>>
>>1113015
The hell are you talking about?
Whatever, I want to take this ride for as long as I can and I want to do it in style.
Dying kind of halts that and replaces that with nothing.
While I am still conscious I can see this as a negative for my goals and when I'm dead I wont even exist anymore, So I'm drawing this as long as I can.
>>
>>1112957
The only people who don't eat offal are squeamish americans.
Enjoying delicious cow intestine and kidney right now.
>>
>>1112957
Hahahha go fuck yourself.
>>
>>1113035
have you ever hugged a person that smelled bad to be polite
>>
>>1113031
>how is it not the same situation?
I don't know, how is it making the anyone involved suffer?
An animal made for meat produce is usually put in cramped conditions barely capable of moving next to others where it is pumped full of antibiotics to keep it alive, and I'm not even PETA
How is that in any way comparable to child rearing?
>>
>>1113045
yee, where are you going with this
>>
>>1113041
Squeamish American here, what's a good introduction to the stuff?

Been meaning to try beef stomach in pho, and old Vietnamese woman told me it was her favorite and I always felt bad for never trying it.
>>
>>1113048
Not the other guy but I think what he's trying to say is that nobody asks to be born and human life is intrinsically filled with suffering
>>
>>1113067
ever had liver?
I'm an american and I can tell you liver is a good place to start, especially in the US because that seems to be the only offal that is in most restaurants.
>>
>>1113042
Hey thats a great argument. I havent heard that oe before, but now Im gonna use it.
>>
>>1113072
It is also full of pleasure, especially if you look for it.
Wouldn't depraving your child of the possibility of experiencing pleasure out of fear of it experiencing pain worse than taking that chance? Part of the joy in child rearing is seeing your child live a life of luxury in part because you helped guide him there.
>>
>>1113048
So eating "free-range" meat is not as immoral as eating "factory" meat?

>How is that in any way comparable to child rearing?
OP implied that putting an animal through a life of suffering for your pleasure is wrong. If child-rearing is pleasing, then it is pleasure at the expense of a newly created animal which must live a life of suffering.
>>
>>1113090
See >>1113085
>>
File: product of hedonism.jpg (91 KB, 578x800) Image search: [Google]
product of hedonism.jpg
91 KB, 578x800
>>1112957
>>
>>1113067
I'm a chinky poo, so this is my recommendation, especially if you like chilli things. Koreans also do a wonderful soup of black cow's stomach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuqi_feipian
>>
>>1113050
why would you cause yourself pain for no gain
>>
>>1113107
I gain the satisfaction if knowing I made another feel good
>>
>>1112957
This is complete nonsense. Anti-hedonism does not mean "We must never cause any suffering for our own pleasure". It means "Pleasure is not the ultimate goal in life".
>>
>>1113085
Wasn't actually making the argument myself, I just wanted to clarify what the other guy meant to say. Personally I consider myself a hedonist but I think it's stupid to be a purist about it instead of following the spirit of the philosophy and having a good time.
>>
>>1113119
but its not guaranteed at all
>>
>>1113124
>the spirit of the philosophy
>having a good time
How so?
>>
>>1113129
Gotta roll the dice man
>>
>>1114424
You, i like you. Keep posting on this board.
>>
>tfw people take hedonism as if there is no such thing as long term goals
That's an even worse strawman than the OP
>>
>>1112957
>you put an animal through a lifetime of suffering for your own pleasure and convenience
I don't remember doing such a thing.
>>
>>1112957

Yes, I eat meat. Meat is delicious and offal is even more delicious.

A life of suffering also makes for shitty meatz.
>>
>>1112957
>it's either hedonism or no fun allowed
wew lad
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.