[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened to modern art?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
Christie’s Sells Hitler Sculpture for $17.2 Million

http://www.wsj.com/articles/christies-sells-hitler-sculpture-for-17-2-million-1462768647

Christie’s kicked off a crammed week of spring auctions in New York with a contemporary art sale on Sunday that carried a tempting-fate title: “Bound to Fail.”

The sale’s theme alluded to the recent slowdown in the global art market, but Christie’s $78 million sale proved a success, led by a Maurizio Cattelan sculpture of a kneeling Adolf Hitler that sold for $17.2 million.
>>
>>1109531
Tax exemption or money landering.
>>
To be fair christies mostly sells older art simply cause larger output over 1000+ years.

For every hitler sculpture sold for 17 million there's 1,000 more paintings sold by dutch,french,italian masters for a few hundred $ to a few million a pop.

It's not that people don't like older art anymore, of course its nice to buy for prestige but you'll hear more about this then anything else.
>>
Everything is art
Therefore, nothing is art
>>
>>1109643
Fucking Dada GTFO REEEEEE.
>>
>>1109531

the basic premise of the thread might have been interesting, what with how art is appreciated on the market and what trends occur and so on - this largely has to do with momentary fashion and as >>1109622 noted, legalised financial malversations

however the title is 'what happened to modern art' implying anything happened to it in the first place and theser some way it used to be which was somehow better based on uneducated value judgment and pleb-ties aesthetics, meaning its a bait thread intended to go trough another circlejerk of hurr durr why art shit now, why not clasic beauty, etc...

therefore this thread and these threads in general are pure bullshit, /his/ has no understanding of art whatsoever, let alone the art market, which are two different things, but most importantly the only way /his/ can percieve and evaluate art is trought a gradation of how pretty a painting is and weather theyd like to hang it in the dining room
>>
>>1109964
>but most importantly the only way /his/ can percieve and evaluate art is trought a gradation of how pretty a painting is and weather theyd like to hang it in the dining room

Nice strawman. You sure looked smart on the internet there.
>>
>>1109531
But it's figurative, it's representational. What's wrong with it?
>>
>>1109531
this is contemporary art, not modern art
>>
>>1109622
How would that work?
>>
No more going to a conservatory and getting good. Then picking up a patron who would support you while you made art.
>>
>>1109531
Liberals and their bullshit
>>
>>1110856
what's good about it? what do you feel when you see it? it's literally non-art
>>
>>1111489
this. modern art was produced at the beginning of the 20th century up until the late 50's.
>>
>>1113049
I have a kek at the experience of myself experiencing modern art and go about my day. It uses the current semiotic situation to have feels that exist in a meta abstraction.
>>
>>1113066
you're a total faggot, even for /his/
>>
>>1113174
Sorry you can't experience life subjectively and have to resort to namecalling like like the faggot cuck bitch that you are.
>>
>>1109622
fpbp
>>
What's your issue with the piece this time?
>>
>>1109531
Cameras
>>
>>1109964
>therefore this thread and these threads in general are pure bullshit, /his/ has no understanding of art whatsoever, let alone the art market, which are two different things
Total art pleb here, but someone with a background in history. I'm going to guess that the art market was always faddish, and that what traded hands for a lot of money in the 17th century is now largely forgotten?
>>
Thank god I'm not a communist who wants to force people to pay a fixed amount for goods
>>
spengler would be rolling in his grave if he knew this was happening.
>>
>>1115199
if it wasn't for people far better than Christie willing to risk their lives to defeat him, Hitler wouldn't have failed
>>
>le modern is bad, me hyper-realist classical christian art meme

Cringe, art is experience not objective.
>>
>>1115557
No he wouldn't. Actually read Spengler.
>>
>>1112955
You acquire millions illegally then give it to an overseas vendor who ships you a painting worth millions, but reports it to customs as being worth much less. Then you have the painting appraised and resell it legally at its actual value.
>>
>>1112955
Not knowledgeable on the matter but

>buy some piece of shit playdoh Hitler "sculpture" for pennies
>assign arbitrary value because lolart
>set up fake auction to sell it
>buyers are likely your business associates or shell companies in foreign countries
>you now have $17.2 million in legal tender that can be traced back
>IRS can't do shit about buyers since they're under foreign jurisdiction
>>
>>1115606
You're right, he'd just see it as another culture fading into the cesspool of civilization
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.