[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bought this chair from a funeral Parlor. I don't know if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Resized_20160508_153349.jpg (269 KB, 900x1600) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20160508_153349.jpg
269 KB, 900x1600
Bought this chair from a funeral Parlor. I don't know if this is the right board to come to but I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on it
>>
File: Resized_20160508_153357.jpg (263 KB, 900x1600) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20160508_153357.jpg
263 KB, 900x1600
Side view
>>
>>1107470
I'll give you 10 bucks.
>>
>>1107470
Yep, that's a chair.
>>
>>1107475
I don't want to sell it.
>>
>>1107470

Looks majestic m8. How much?
>>
>>1107470
>buying ANYTHING from a funeral parlor
it's like you WANT to be cursed
>>
>>1107470
It's a chair. Decently sized. Made out of wood I'd say
>>
>>1107470

A yes, this is a Klismos chair. It's a type of ancient Greek chair, familiar from depictions of ancient furniture on painted pottery and in bas-reliefs from the mid-fifth century BCE onwards.

The long and elegant curve was quite difficult to create; and may have been carved from a single piece of wood, or by using mortise and tenon joints, or by bending by steam, or by training the wood.

The seat was built of four wooden turned staves, morticed into the legs; a web of cording or leather strips supported a cushion or a pelt. The klismos was a specifically Greek invention, without detectable earlier inspiration.
>>
I'm definitely keeping it. I just want to know how old it is and any information about it.
>>
>>1107492
That isnt right
>>
>>1107470
My parent's house had the same carpeting when I was a kid.

I believe that face on the chair is a Green Man, OP. I just image searched "green man chair" and got a couple hits similar to but not identical to your chair.
This isn't the place to get something appraised though, see if antique's roadshow is coming somewhere near you this summer, or if not then call up any local antiques shop and ask them if they'll take a look for you. They're likelier than not to charge for the service, and if they want to buy it off you then whatever figure they give you is a lowball. Don't tell them how much you paid.
>>
>>1107477
My buddy who's an expert on chairs told me it's worth $8-9 dollars, and that's to a special collector.

$3 is the best I can do.
>>
apparently it's a savanrola
>>
its a dante chair/savonarola chair. Most likely Victorian era.
>>
>>1107470
That's the face of Thulk the Norse ferryman of the dead up at the top. Notice the seat of the chair is shaped like the barge which Thulk captains.

Tradionally those near death would sit in the chair to help grant them safe passage.

It is said if a healthy man should sit in Thulk's chair than he would face a painful death in seven days and seven nights. You didn't sit in this chair did you?
>>
>>1107470
Would be a cool reading chair.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.