[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The battle of Myeongnyang https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1442912.jpg (148 KB, 1024x762) Image search: [Google]
1442912.jpg
148 KB, 1024x762
The battle of Myeongnyang
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Myeongnyang

This was when the korean navy, composed of a mere 13 standard panokseon ships defeated an estimated number of around 200 japanese warships.

Was admiral Yi-Sun shin a naval genius? Or was it exaggerated? This is a bit hard to believe.

Pic unrelated- because all turtle ships were destroyed or damaged beyond fast repair in the previous battle before Myeongnyang
>>
Seems amazing.
My question, OP, is how come the Koreans developed superior warships, when it was the Japanese who had a much richer history of seafaring - fishing, being an island nation, trading trough sea, etc. I suppose it should have been the other way arround, the Japs with amazing ships and naval tactics whilst the Koreans would behave like a swimming dog running from a shark in the middle of the sea of Japan.
>>
>>1246288
Different styles of combat. The japanese actually weren't all that concerned with naval combat because they were fighting bloody civil wars in the island.

And during the invasion, they favored speed with boarding party styles for their better equipped the trained marines to fight in hand-to-hand combat. That shifted their ship designs in a more V shape, with no canons to maintain speed.

Koreans on the other hand, favored maneuverability, which came with the box-esque shape of the bottom. Koreans sucked at close quarters combat compared to the Japanese and so naval bombardments and ranged fights were favored, which goes to the defender's advantage to the knowledge of local water movement patterns
>>
>>1246288
Perhaps because the japanese, being dominant, had less incentive for radical innovation. Just a thought
>>
>>1246271
literally never happened. also, Takeshima belongs to Japan.
>>
>>1246654
can't tell if serious
>>
>>1246288
Japan never had a rich history of seafaring though. You're thinking of the Polynesians.
>>
>>1246654
Found the whalekiller
>>
I watch Extra History too, OP
>>
>>1246271

The entire Japanese naval tactical set revolved around boarding actions. Close, land guys on their ship, kill, capture, win.

The Koreans managed to fight in a narrow strait where the Japanese had trouble closing, and shelled them with cannon fire. It's the naval equivalent to a small force defending a high narrow pass against a numerically superior foe.

I mean, it's good work to hold those sorts of battles, but it's mostly having advantageous terrain and using it well, not a stunning stroke of brilliance or the like.
>>
>>1246766
Well they did have a "rich" history of piracy like the UK.
>>
>>1246288
Premodern Japan isn't really a "maritime" country despite being islandniggers. It's a largely contiguous island after all. Not to mention were complete autists at who gets to come & go out of Japan.

Compare this to the Chinese whose traders sailed up to the Persian Gulf and braved living in Southeast Asia to get a foot on the door of the spice trade.

As for Korea, well the country has been stewing from the 1200's-1500's enduring pirateniggers from or based in Japan.
>>
>>1249550
Actually, I've been reading more about that battle and it seems like the admiral used interesting tactics from the shifting of the waves and a metal chain
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.