[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We have a terribly weak economy but I'm confident we can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9
File: memehito.jpg (37 KB, 400x432) Image search: [Google]
memehito.jpg
37 KB, 400x432
We have a terribly weak economy but I'm confident we can take on the Soviet Union, China, America, Britain and France at the same time.
>>
File: 2016-05-08-17-33-10--910996659.jpg (6 KB, 187x270) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-08-17-33-10--910996659.jpg
6 KB, 187x270
I am pretty sure we can take on the entire world by ourselves.
>>
File: Famous Austrian Comedian.png (98 KB, 450x590) Image search: [Google]
Famous Austrian Comedian.png
98 KB, 450x590
>>1105768
>We have a terribly weak economy but I'm confident we can take on the Soviet Union, Poland, America, Britain and France at the same time.
>>
File: images-19.jpg (7 KB, 211x239) Image search: [Google]
images-19.jpg
7 KB, 211x239
>>1105790
We took on the entire world and lost. That's obviously the Jews fault.
This time i am pretty sure we may take on the world and win.
>>
>>1105768

Not a strictly accurate post but the Japs were still retarded so whatever.
>>
>>1105768
Thanks for being an uneducated faggo, OP.
>>
File: hindsight1.jpg (39 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hindsight1.jpg
39 KB, 480x360
My cleverly expressed after-the-facts may-may will surely and without a doubt prove that I'm smarter than famous historical figures.
>>
Do people honestly think like this? It's not like everbody picks sides at the beginning and fights fairly. War is a game of backstabbing and bluffing
>>
>>1105836

This might not be true for the rest of history but Japan was fucking retarded at the time. They already invaded Korea, Formosa, took the Qingdao penninsula and some islands from Germany and seized half of Sakhalin from the commies.

Then they made a full scale invasion of Manchuria, attacked the United States and the Soviet Union just because they were mad at oil.

It's literally zerg rushing the entire Asia-Pacific.
>>
>>1105852
Japan seriously had a chance to seize oil reserves if they succeeded in destroying the us navy because the Soviets were so preoccupied with Germany
>>
>>1105768
obvious troll, but I'm passionate enough about the subject to talk about it.

The weak economy was the exact reason for the Japanese aggression. The Great Depression put most of the world on the brink of collapse, but Japan had a bit of a wildcard.

While the Japanese economy was sinking in the shitter, the military was actually in better shape than ever, and the generals and other military-supporting minds wanted to use the military as a means to bolster Japan's economic standing.

To do that, you need resources, as a volcanic island chain isn't bringing much iron ore or oil to the table.

Manchuria and China were the obvious targets from their colony in Korea, so the Sino-Japanese war began, but the war was consuming more resources than the Japanese were seizing in the advance, with their army's advance slowing to a crawl after Nanking.

So the military wanted to devise other quicker plans to get the resources they needed, as the US and Western Powers were now embargoing oil, scrap iron, and rubber to Japan.

The Army favored a policy called Hokushin-ron, or Northern Expansion, where the Army would drive into the Soviet Union and seize the resource rich Siberia. They got massacred by the Red Army at the battle of Khalkin-gol, so northern expansion wasn't happening.

The Navy favored Nanshin-ron, or Southern expansion doctrine. Where they would take the European colonies in the Pacific Islands to seize resources, but knew that doing this certainly meant war with the US.

So the Japanese gambled on one strike to cripple the US Navy long enough for Japan to seize the Southern Pacific, and hoped Pearl Harbor would cripple the US' ability to wage war for hopefully 1 or 2 years.

The attack still hurt, but it didn't do enough to the US to actually cripple them, so the US rebuilt their fleets within 7 months and it was all downhill from there.
>>
>>1105873
>Where they would take the European colonies in the Pacific Islands to seize resources
There are no resources rich islands in the Pacific, unless you are talking about pine apples in Hawaii.
>>
>>1105768

Actually, he honored his treaty with the Soviets, as opposed to others did...
>>
File: TRIED SO HARD.jpg (317 KB, 824x1024) Image search: [Google]
TRIED SO HARD.jpg
317 KB, 824x1024
>>1105768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeYEsaydrtI
>>
>>1106285
>There are no resources rich islands in the Pacific, unless you are talking about pine apples in Hawaii.
The Dutch East Indies was full of oil and French Indochina contained a lot of rubber.
>>
>>1105873
>The attack still hurt, but it didn't do enough to the US to actually cripple them

There was no way for Japan to feasibly cripple the United States. Their hope rested on the idea that the attack would shock/terrify/demoralize the US government into suing for peace and ignoring that fact, that's why it was insane.
>>
>>1106365
Usually when people talk about pacific islands, they're talking about islands in the Pacific Ocean, east of Japan. Not Vietnam and Indonesia.
>>
>>1106285
If there was no resources, the European Powers wouldn't have bothered to colonize it.

Indonesia was actually produced the most rubber in the world, moreso than the Congo. The Dutch East Indies also was the only oil producing region within Japan's reach.

A good source explaining just how energy rich Indonesia was can be read here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=3nPbrQEACAAJ&dq=isbn:9004168664&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2sJDwh8vMAhUBox4KHRmhDQcQ6AEIHTAA

The reason why this pushed war with the US is because the Philippines was a major obstacle in ensuring safe transit of oil and rubber from the East Indies back to Japan or the frontline in China. So the Philippines had to be taken for transportation security, and not be harassed by US warships stationed there.

Iron and other ore metals were found aplenty in French Indochina, Thailand, and Burma, which made the Burma Campaign particularly essential to victory in the war for either side.
>>
File: 89920-004-E0275152.gif (113 KB, 461x417) Image search: [Google]
89920-004-E0275152.gif
113 KB, 461x417
>>1106403
Indonesia is not a Pacific island. Neither are the Dutch East Indies nor the Philippines.
Thailand, Burma, Indochina are not Pacific islands.
>>
>>1106389
Their hope rested on the idea that the attack would reduce the US fleet to a rough parity with the IJN at least temporarily. If the USN was to rush to relieve the Philippines, then the IJN could defeat it with home field advantage. If the USN delayed to build back up, Japan would have the 6 months needed to take some territory and build up defenses.
>>
>>1106389
If the american aircraft carriers would have been present at pearl harbour (wich they tougth they would) then they actually would have crippled the american navy and the full expansion into the pacific would have been succesfull instead of being met with american resistance halfway through, giving the japs not only time to build defenses but to get resources to bolster their economy and army/navy,

if history would have gone down this way, then either two things would happen
murica would grind down the japs the same way they did IRL just that it would take longer and be harder OR the americans would face several defeats early on since the enemy they met would be much better prepared, and alot better entrenched, it was the numerous victorys early on that cemented the americans resolve in the pacific campaing without these the americans migth have given up

anyways all of this is just fucking pointless brain excersies and speculations, and i doubt the pacific campaing would have ended any other way since the americans hade island hopping down to a fucking science
(wich i have always found a bit odd since this was the first time they ever did it, but as i stated the numerous early victorys probably did alot to help them understand the way the war was going to be fougth without the costly setbacks)
>>
>>1106611
>it was the numerous victorys early on that cemented the americans resolve in the pacific campaing without these the americans migth have given up
IJN literally lost its carrier fleet 2 battles into the war. It was never a question of did America have the resolve to endure and not give up. They basically won the war 2 battles in, and it was a matter of time and building up the necessary force to do the landings.
>>
File: 1459546954362.gif (1 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1459546954362.gif
1 MB, 500x500
>>1106611
i know we will never meet but i love you, anon.
i really do love you.
youre smart and i understand you.
>>
>>1106514
don't be a pedantic fuck.
>>
>>1106733
>be wrong
>be really fucking wrong
>abloobloo no pedantry plz
>>
File: iwojima.jpg (71 KB, 948x744) Image search: [Google]
iwojima.jpg
71 KB, 948x744
>>1106657
exactly and the only reason they lost their aircraft carriers was because the americans still hade theirs

>If the american aircraft carriers would have been present at pearl harbour (wich they tougth they would) then they actually would have crippled the american navy

the battle of midway would have hade a very diffrent outcome if the americans dident have any aircraft carriers

>>1106701
Thanks i guess, cheers mate!
>>
>>1105768
Hirohito wasn't totally in control of his government. In a lot of ways, he was like Kaiser Wilhelm II, a useful figurehead for the militarists.
>>
>>1106748
>the battle of midway would have hade a very diffrent outcome if the americans dident have any aircraft carriers
6 months was plenty of time for the Americans to float and repair the carriers. Plus there were also Yorktown, Hornet, and Wasp that could've been recalled from the Atlantic.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.