[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
executions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1
File: Electric_chair.jpg (14 KB, 406x309) Image search: [Google]
Electric_chair.jpg
14 KB, 406x309
so how the fuck is this a good method of executing someone? doesnt that shit hurt as hell?
why didnt we stick to good ol guillotine?
>>
That's actually kind of an interesting question.

Well obviously the guillotine was never used in practice in America, but the transition from hangings to electrocutions is something I'd like to know more about.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it's because public executions were beginning to be seen as...uncouth or distasteful. Electrocutions could be done in a small private areas housed within the prison itself and it also had the upside of not mutilating the body so that it could be returned to a family for burial.
>>
>>1104908
> Electrocutions could be done in a small private areas housed within the prison itself

well a guillotine doesnt need that much space either and people hang themselves inside all the time...

> upside of not mutilating the body

sure? always thought it would leave some burns on the body
>>
>>1104908
Just because the electric chair is a newer form of execution than hanging doesn't make it more humane. The electric chair was used as a propaganda piece by the proponents of direct current to show the danger of alternating current. Electrocution can be easily botched and there's no reason to believe that even a properly conducted electrocution is less painful than long drop hanging.

There are witnesses to the execution by members of the public and the media, so it's not really that private.
>>
>>1104923
>>1104946
Neither of you had anything salient to say so I just looked it up myself.

The electric chair came about because of numerous botched hangings spurred the hunt for a more humane kind of capital punishment and a committee put together for that express purpose settled on the electric chair.
>>
>>1104901

I agree. Who wants to die sitting in a fucking chair? It's disgraceful. Why spoil something perfectly comfortable like a chair with something nasty like death?
>>
>>1105039
Kinda doubt the chair is that comfortable. Functional.
>>
>>1105162

Still... the most honorable way to go is being blindfolded and shot by a shooting squad... while standing. I would prefer this rather than dying of old age.
>>
Rather just be shot by firing squad desu.
>>
>>1105172
Why is one blindfolded during execution?
>>
>>1105191

You really want the last thing to see to be a bunch of faggots aiming at you? Really?
>>
>>1105193
One could still close their eyes I guess.
>>
>>1105179
This.
It's probably the most humane way to die.
Lots of people get shot everyday.
>>
>>1105179
>>1105519
Firing squad is one of the absolute shittiest methods of execution, without getting into the deliberately cruel.
>>
>>1105529
Why?

>Person shot in the head- dies instantly.
>Only one rifle has an actual round
>No one knows who has the loaded gun, so no guilt on the shooters
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9RYLabxCg

This was by far one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen in a film and I've watched a lot of 'horrors'.
>>
>>1105529
If I ever was executed I'd take firing squad over anything else in a heartbeat.
>>
>>1104901
In my opinion the best method of execution is an overdose of anaesthetic drugs. You simply go to sleep and never wake up. It's humane, doesn't disfigure the body and very reliable.
>>
>>1105539
Why do you assume you're getting shot in the head?
>>
>>1105539
Have you ever fired a gun?

Blanks feel very different to actual bullets.
>>
>>1105590
Not him but I shoot a lot and I've never fired a blank before.
What does it feel like?
>>
>>1105539
>>Person shot in the head- dies instantly.
You'd be surprised on what you can survive
>>
>>1105539
I wouldn't be so sure about the instant death part. Many people have survived some pretty gruesome shooting wounds.

A well-executed neck-shot kills instantly, but if the shooter fucks up, the victim drowns in his own blood, which is needlessly cruel.
>>
>>1105539
Depending on how strong the bullet is or where you aim it can cause horrific brain damage not death.
>>
>>1105642
You want to talk needlessly cruel, I've read of a disturbing numbers of times where the executioners just fucking miss on the first volley.
>>
>>1105191
So you don't make eye contact with the soldiers
>>
>>1105539
>Person shot in the head
But the firing squad aims at the chest. You wouldn't want to be disfigured.
>>
Pretty sure military firing squads always had an officer with a pistol on standby to deliver the coup de grace if the prisoner wasn't killed first time. Remember reading an account from the napoleonic wars of a soldier being executed by two volleys from two seperate squads, one to kill him and another to make sure. Then the rest of the battalion were forces to march past in slow time whilst under the order "Eyes left" so they had to see what would happen to them if they ever fucked up.
>>
>>1105539
>boom headshot!
>real life is just like my call of duty games
>>
>>1105539
They actually aim for the heart. The leader shoots the prisoner in the head after the squad in case he didn't die to spare him the misery.
>Only one rifle has an actual round
Very rare occurance to ensure the prisoner dies. Most of the members do have a round chambered with a few that don't.
>>
It just has to get their heart to stop. Thats all. Back in the day it was a small incision to their main artery. Guillotine or be strangled by horses etc. you know we have come a long way we do things more humane modern day people dont like seeing blood or pain.
>>
>>1104901
if a person has been convicted of a crime so heinous
that we must exterminate them as soon as possible
and they have been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt
to have had such blatant disregard for the laws of man and society
why do their feelings matter?

on the contrary
their example should serve as a deterrent
to those who would also commit such crimes
and must therefore be so horrible as to reach those who also lack empathy

hence
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDWU-Y4fWIw
>>
>>1105539
>Person shot in the head dies instantly

Do you even liveleak bro ?
>>
>>1104908
>As reported by the newsman, once the new Westinghouse generator had revved up to 2,000 volts, the executioner pulled a switch sending the current into Kemmler's body. Kemmler turned bright red and went into convulsions (uncontrollable seizures). After seventeen seconds the current was stopped. To the horror of all of those present, however, Kemmler was not dead. He appeared to groan and struggle to breathe. Quickly the order was given to electrocute him once more, but they had to wait briefly for the generator to power up. This time the current was turned on for over a minute. Witnesses smelled burning flesh and heard odd crackling sounds. When Kemmler appeared dead, the current was turned off.

http://law.jrank.org/pages/12374/Kemmler-William.html

Seen another documentary where they said they had to scrape some skin off the arm rest. Like melted cheese.
>>
>>1107890
holy shit, I haven't watched these guys since high school, forgot how funny they were
>>
>>1112022
Remember the vacuum cleaner one?
>>
Most humane method (for the sentenced) is one practiced in USSR for capital crimes.
Bullet to the back of the head. Instant death, very hard to botch.
>>
Why not use lethal injection?

Isn't supposedly pretty painless?
>>
Why is every one concerned about 'humane' and 'painless' executions, these are criminals were talking about, what does it matter if they suffer?
>>1112090
But this is the most efficient.
>>
>>1112090
It sounds easier to botched than guillotine.
Maybe it's because I'm French, but I feel the guillotine is also more dignified. Dying lying on a bench is better than on your knees.
>>
>>1114084
Maybe because they're not savages
Life in a shitty small cell > easy escape
tbqh
>>
>>1114084
We're already killing them, there is no need to make it unnecessarily painful.

There is a reason why prisoners can have fancy meals before their execution.
>>
>>1114084
Most first world nations try to take a moral high ground. The spookiness of that notion is another debate.
>>
>>1104901

why not just shoot the convict?

like, in the brain?
>>
>>1104901
What about garroting the spanish used it until the 70's
>>
>>1107855

that actualy makes no sense whatsoever, its just a way for people to feel better about it all, but its actualy pointless and absurd

actualy just publicly executing someone with a sharp object would serve more of a detterent, but detterents are generaly crap in terms of efficiency, people were executed all the time in the past but that didnt detter the others any

its all a way to make it into a ritualised playact, that sort of does something on a emotional level weather for those who suffered the loss or selfrighteous members of the public

realy you could just throw the guy in some cell and forget about it, wouldnt make any difference whatsoever, its not even said the man cant be rehabilitated, especialy since you can do whatever you want with him in any way, or just put to some use, he has no rights left, you might as well use him in experiments
>>
>>1114146

Well then fucking get the guy lying in a bench then shoot him in the back of the head. Good lord some people.
>>
>>1107698
>shot through the heart
I cant imagine how awful that would be
>>
There are a thousand ways to kill someone that are quick, painless, cheap, and idiot-proof. The fact that we use methods that are none of those things is very revealing of what capital punishment is really all about.
>>
>>1105191
I guess so you don't move out of the way or something. Don't know when it's coming
>>
>>1112302
It's debatable.

The prevailing argument against it is that though heavy anesthesia is used to sedate the person in question until their unconscious, the drug used to actually bring death is excruciating, and we can't be sure they aren't in pain for their final minute or so. It's possible they simply sit there paralyzed and suffering before they finally die out.

My complaint with lethal injection is that the psycholoical impact of it is completely terrifying. You watch yourself get strapped to a chair, you're stuck with a few needles, and a machine kicks on dripping an IV into you while you watch the poison flow from the tubes to your veins. Even if there's no pain, the horror of seeing your death slowly creep towards you, passing that final point of no return where you know you're dead and nothing you can do will stop it is something I wouldn't want to inflict on anyone.

With a noose, your neck is usually snapped and you're killed near instantly. With the guillotine, as soon as that blade falls through your spine, you're gone. When you get shot in the head or the heart, you're usually out very quickly. All of these may be terrible ways to die, but at least I meet my death head on and not while I'm sleeping and calm.

Just my two cents though, I'm sure there's a number of people who want to drift off peacefully, but I'd much, much rather use every last breath of mine to hang on to life.
>>
>>1112302
>getting pricked in the arm with a needle
>painless

Yeah fucking right.
>>
>>1107855
>>1114823

Your grammar and overall presentation is awful.
>>
>>1115114

Good post right here.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.