[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If one converts to a religion purely out of fear of consequences
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
If one converts to a religion purely out of fear of consequences in the afterlife, would that person be welcomed by God?
>>
>>1100281
1. Why would someone not belonging to a certain religion be swayed by the concept of afterlife of that certain religion to which he doesn't belong?

2. Any religion that relies on fear, obedience, and tradition-based customs, is not spiritual, and therefore it has no relation to God.
>>
>>1100295
Apologies, I should have been clearer in that I was referring to atheists and agnostics, and not practitioners of other religions
>>
>>1100297
The same still applies, idiot.
>>
File: 1462468791344.png (48 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1462468791344.png
48 KB, 500x282
>>1100295
I'm ignorant: the post
>1. Why would someone not belonging to a certain religion be swayed by the concept of afterlife of that certain religion to which he doesn't belong?
Because for most of human existence people have believed in the gods and magic.
>2. Any religion that relies on fear, obedience, and tradition-based customs, is not spiritual, and therefore it has no relation to God. Divine retribution was a very real fear the the vast majority of people that have ever lived.
So christianity for 98% of its existence and most other religions?
>>
>>1100322
>>1. Why would someone not belonging to a certain religion be swayed by the concept of afterlife of that certain religion to which he doesn't belong?
>Because for most of human existence people have believed in the gods and magic.

Read my question again, this time actually trying to comprehend what you read.

>>2. Any religion that relies on fear, obedience, and tradition-based customs, is not spiritual, and therefore it has no relation to God. Divine retribution was a very real fear the the vast majority of people that have ever lived.
>So christianity for 98% of its existence and most other religions?

1. You mean Judeochristianity, not Christianity. Authentic (Gnostic) Christianity doesn't rely on fear, control, and tradition.

2. Besides Judeochristianity, there's also Judaism, Shia Islam, Sunni Islam, non-sufi Mohammedanism, Baha'i, Mormonism, Orthodox Chrisitianity, Hinduism, just to name a few.

That the majority of the world's religions are corrupt and devoid of spirituality, is not only irrelevant to the argument, but also expected, since the suboptimal, the mediocre, and the non-Good, is always majority everywhere at all times.
>>
>>1100360

>1. You mean Judeochristianity, not Christianity. Authentic (Gnostic) Christianity doesn't rely on fear, control, and tradition.

Opinion trashed
>>
>>1100281
It depends, at what point is the person "converted"?
To even get to a fear of the afterlife, there are a bunch of steps to go through:
1. Belief in a higher power in general
2. Belief in a higher moral law in general
3. Belief in a higher power in specific
4. Belief in a moral system in specific
5. Belief that said God is keeping a person eye on you.
6. Belief that he is not content with you
7. Fear of an afterlife

Now if you believe in a specific God, doesnt that mean you're converted? Belief comes before fear. Fear is just the lack of an understanding of Gods love.
>>
>>1100360
>Authentic (Gnostic) Christianity
go away Marcion
>>
>>1100360
>Read my question again, this time actually trying to comprehend what you read.
I completely understand it, you simply don't understand ancient concepts of religion. They viewed it very differently than we do today. The vast majority of people to ever exist didn't just believe in the god(s) to the exclusion of others. There was your gods and theirs and many other gods. Those other gods were very real and if you pissed them off they could still do you harm (assuming your gods wouldn't protect you of course) or if you pleased them they could still offer you benefit. The belief in other gods not your own having real power was the dominant view.

>Besides Judeochristianity, there's also Judaism, Shia Islam, Sunni Islam, non-sufi Mohammedanism, Baha'i, Mormonism, Orthodox Chrisitianity, Hinduism, just to name a few.
>That the majority of the world's religions are corrupt and devoid of spirituality
Ok... so "most other religions" then..?
>>
>>1100380
>Fear is just the lack of an understanding of Gods love.
no, believing God loves you is just Stockholm syndrome
>>
>>1100386

I see that you lack reading comprehension...
>>
>>1100386
You're not understanding each other. When he says "your gods", he means "gods you believe in". When you say "your gods" you mean "gods which are dominant in said region or culture".
Quite frankly, if you believe that other gods than your own can hurt you, you still believe in them. Then the difference is a matter of practice and rituals rather than beliefs.
>>
>>1100392
Why would someone not belonging to religion X be swayed by the concept of afterlife of religion X to which that person doesn't belong?
I answered that exact question from the perspective of the majority of humans who ever existed and I did so on a history board. If you'd like a different answer then phrase your question differently or explain what you want.

Do you want that question explained from the perspective of modern civilization (for instance - why would a modern muslim be swayed to believe in the afterlife of modern christian belief?)? That's a very specific kind of instance if we're talking about the history of religion.
>>
>>1100413
>Why would someone not belonging to religion X be swayed by the concept of afterlife of religion X to which that person doesn't belong?
I answered that exact question from the perspective of the majority of humans who ever existed and I did so on a history board. If you'd like a different answer then phrase your question differently or explain what you want.

Do you want that question explained from the perspective of modern civilization (for instance - why would a modern muslim be swayed to believe in the afterlife of modern christian belief?)? That's a very specific kind of instance if we're talking about the history of religion.
>>
>>1100295
>Why would someone not belonging to a certain religion be swayed by the concept of afterlife of that certain religion to which he doesn't belong?

Because belief is not binary. For most people, in fact, it is on the spectrum of "this is probably bullshit, but maybe..."

Genghis Khan demanded all the priests, shamans, etc. from the people he conquered pray for him in their own religions. Because hey, you never know.
>>
File: Hell.webm (683 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
Hell.webm
683 KB, 720x404
>>1100281
To answer your question, OP:

>The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Proverbs 1:7

>The fear of the LORD is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.
Proverbs 8:13

>The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.
Proverbs 9:10

>The fear of the LORD prolongs life, but the years of the wicked will be short.
Proverbs 10:27

>In the fear of the LORD one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge.
Proverbs 14:26

>The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, that one may turn away from the snares of death.
Proverbs 14:27

>Better is a little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble with it.
Proverbs 15:16

>By steadfast love and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for, and by the fear of the LORD one turns away from evil.
Proverbs 16:6

>The fear of the LORD leads to life, and whoever has it rests satisfied; he will not be visited by harm.
Proverbs 19:23

>The reward for humility and fear of the LORD is riches and honor and life.
Proverbs 22:4

>Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy. Blessed is the one who fears the LORD always, but whoever hardens his heart will fall into calamity.
Proverbs 28:13-14
>>
>>1100281
Depends on the religion.

From a patristics-based Christian perspective, no. Theosis, continual divinization and closeness with the godhead is the goal of a life, not simply belief, but becoming by grace what god is by nature.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.