[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As someone who wasn't born into a religious environment,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1448150170198.jpg (38 KB, 488x302) Image search: [Google]
1448150170198.jpg
38 KB, 488x302
As someone who wasn't born into a religious environment, how do I find a religion or a style of spirituality that fits my personality? I've always been an atheist and consider myself too intelligent to simply believe in a sky wizard, but somehow I feel I'm lacking something to believe in or to give meaning to my life.

I tried reading the bible and the quran but I quickly got bored and put them away again. Same with some philosophers I started reading. I also attempted to build a purely scientific world view by studying quantum physics and learning how nature works, and even though it was interesting, I felt like it was missing something. Maybe a spiritual or philosophical component. Something giving me direction in life.

Has anyone here felt the same? How did you proceed? I'd be grateful if you shared your insights and advice.
>>
Join the church of Stirner. We're doing great.
>>
File: image.png (97 KB, 763x298) Image search: [Google]
image.png
97 KB, 763x298
>>1092488
>Has anyone here felt the same?

Somewhat. I was raised in a similar environment with the same feeling of superiority over the religious.

>How did you proceed?

Slowly. With patience and an open mind. You won't become a man with purpose overnight, it could take years.

I didn't just read religious scripture, I read books and listened to talks by people who follow and live the scripture. I can't say that I doubtlessly believe in God, but I can say I've gained the faith and determination that will take me to that point.
>>
>>1092488
Why do you need purpose?
>>
>>1092488
Why religion specifically though? Do you not have a passion? Some kind of other goal? Why not find one instead of a religion? Certainly would be more productive, wouldn't it?
>>
You don't pick up a religion or philosophy because it suits you.

You chose because it is the truth, you chose because it'll make you a better person.

Try Christianity with actual fasting and dedicated prayer times and readings. give to the poor and go out and help your fellow man.

And so on and so forth for every path you chose.

Even the role of philosophy is to teach man how to live well.
>>
>>1092488
Take up a hobby.
Religion isn't a fucking fashion item you pick up when you're bored.
>>
if you have to browse religions to find the particular absolute truth that is all permeable that fits your tastes the most, maybe that absolute truth or your belief in it isn't true at all.

If you want spiritual meaning, create your own. Think hard about ethics and morals instead of adopting a religion like you buy a meal at mcDonalds.
>>
>>1092488
Well Orthodox Christian here.

I really like physics, so I can relate to you there, I actually went and got a degree in it.
For me it's amazing and the more I learn the more I'm aware of the God magnificence.
Mind is not spirituality though, and man can't be whole without both.

So I can relate to having no purpose too, I felt that way when I was a hard core atheist (stupidity of youth :))

I was cured as a Christian, it really helped me that Orthodoxy is not heavy on theological dogmas and leaves a lot as a mystery instead of reading the meaning into the literal sources.

But I'm aware that lots of things are garbage, and I can't deny that some other religion might help too. This one worked for me, I feel it's truth, and generations tested it's recipes and found the peace and purpose
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.