[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sub-Saharan Africa: The Glory Days
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 86
In this thread, we talk about the fact that Africa wasn't just mudhuts and Egyptians. Here is one of my personal favorites, the Nok culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture

They were a iron-smelting people, who made their own version of terra-cotta art. Pic related.
>>
is that a statue of a guy having a chin wank?
>>
>>10905
>when the ass is fat
>>
African history is awesome. Im a fan of ethiopian history myself.

People who think african societies are backwards and primitive are some of the oddest folk. They do not understand history nor athropology nor sociology nor any of the humanties in general.
>>
>>10905
OP do you think nigeria is the most advanced sub saharan nation in africa to date? I believe it may have something to do with the nok culture.
>>
>>11071
Care to illustrate?
>>
File: african swords.jpg (1 MB, 3525x2858) Image search: [Google]
african swords.jpg
1 MB, 3525x2858
These swords are fucking weird.
>>
File: Iron.jpg (360 KB, 1090x602) Image search: [Google]
Iron.jpg
360 KB, 1090x602
>Glory Days
Nah. Africa wasn't just mudhuts and shit, but I wish people would stop trying to make up some romantic past for it. There were a few cool cultures and civilizations, some brilliant art, etc, but it was never some kind of paradise. That idea does as much damage as /pol/shit.

Any, pic related is pretty interesting
>>
>>11077
I'd think it's split between Nigeria and Ethiopia. Nigeria is in my opinion the most advanced in West Africa.
>>
>>11117
This
>>
>>11117
Not that guy, but Ethiopia has some pretty nice architecture and Nigeria has cool art. There's some other stuff too, but those are the big ones.

You want me to post something specific?
>>
>>11128
Back in 2000 someone on the Everquest team must have seen a photo of these as they were the newbie Iskar race weapons in the Kunark expansion.
>>
File: asswhoppin.jpg (18 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
asswhoppin.jpg
18 KB, 210x240
If the Sahara didn't dry up, how different would the world be?
>>
>>11136

Well atleast I am learning some interesting shit here. I hadnt given an african iron age a second thought. You think there production was limited due to lack of conflict?
>>
Great Zimbabwe, the Libraries of Timbuktu. Ghana Empire.

Sheba too, where ever that was.
>>
I love story of how the Kongolese willingly christianized themselves.
The Kongolese believed in a race of ghost people that would one day come to share insane amounts of wealth with the people of the Kongo and offer them wisdom.

When the white Portuguese came, they thought of them as those ghost people of myth and interpreted Christianity as that great wisdom.

That's why you check a list of Kongolese Kings and suddenly you see Kings with names like "João"
>>
>>11071
Is this bait
>>
File: Ife_Kings_Head.jpg (70 KB, 470x815) Image search: [Google]
Ife_Kings_Head.jpg
70 KB, 470x815
>>11499
Medieval West african sculpture was better at the human figure than Europe was at the time.
>>
>>11071
Yeah it's more interesting learning about them selling each other to slave traders
>>
Oh the Benin bronzes are culturally significant too
>>
>>11715
>joao

Which translates too?
>>
>>11733
Maybe at first, but European stuff from the 12th century onward is as good or better. Besides, East Asian stuff at the time was better than either of them.
>>
>>11789
It's the portuguese version of "John" and a very common name in Portugal through out History.
>>
>>11837
>History is a competition
Good meme
>>
>>11715
There was a Central American people like that, but with the British instead. Bizarrely they weren't actually converted until some Moravian protestants came over in the 1840s. But their kings had the WASPiest names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miskito_people#Rulers
>>
I believe africans are hard wired for a social hierarchy that always values the leader, alpha, or strongest individual. This naturally is adversary to coalition, teamwork, and groupthink. Any weight behind this being the reason their countries are ass fucking backwards today?
>>
>>11715
Is there a source for that? It kinda sounds like bullshit.
>>
>>11898
None at all.
>>
File: Stela_aksum[1].jpg (123 KB, 511x682) Image search: [Google]
Stela_aksum[1].jpg
123 KB, 511x682
I love everything from the horn of africa, Abyssinia, etc. Their role in the Silk Road, the fucking weird shit like the Coptic Church, the Jewish Kingdom in there, the Ethiopian Empire. Best Africans.
>>
>>12005
Ok then I agree with you
Sorry for being mean
>>
Aksum was one of the great powers of late antiquity and they gave shelter to Muslims and had a pretty good relationship with them for a while. They were also one of the first to convert to christianity.
>>
>>11942
The Copts and pre-Christiniaty sub-saharans have a pretty rich history, but if I have to pick favs its' definitely the westerns. not to mention they are the hottest africans out there.Their only fault was willingly converting to islam
>>
>>11920
How about capitalism infecting a foreign people? I have no knowledge of their past, and dont know of any ancient civilizations in the continent that are alive today. A seeming predisposition to concentrate power in a dictator imo, combined with a foreign concept of capital would explain to me the current states. What I would like to know is; are there any current civ structures coming from and thrving in aftica?
>>
File: 1336662154171.jpg (61 KB, 680x512) Image search: [Google]
1336662154171.jpg
61 KB, 680x512
>>12062
>The name is derived from an event said to have occurred at Mecca: Abraha, the Christian ruler of Yemen, which was subject to the Kingdom of Aksum of Ethiopia,[2][3] marched upon the Kaaba with a large army, which included one or more war elephants, intending to demolish it. However, the lead elephant, known as Mahmud,[4] is said to have stopped at the boundary around Mecca, and refused to enter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_of_the_Elephant
>>
>>11717
>>11745

this is a history and humanities board. Discuss the thread topic, make your own thread, or leave.
>>
>>11700
I think Sheba was Ethiopian.

>>11745
>implying people of the same race don't sell each other all the time

Arabs took out a lot of Arabic/European slaves and shipped them all around the world. Especially those Cirassian girls.
>>
>>11900
Sorry, man, I read it in a blog way back ago. it listed it's sources but I can't find it.
>>
>glory days

rhodesia? Zimbabwe used to be the "breadbasket of africa". Now they starve to death because of mugabe
>>
>>12220
By glory days, I meant before the European colonization of Africa. And yes, Mugabe is a jerk.
>>
>>11900
Just check wikipedia for the list of kongolese rulers
>>
>>12176
Sheba was in Yemen if it existed, the Solomonic dynasty just made up a story about the Queen of Sheba being their ancestor to legitimize their rule.
>>
>>12104
>hottest africans out there.
But that's not central africans! And if you give a shit about religion, they're also vastly majority of christians.
>>
>>11745
And /pol/ is already shitting on everything, like always.
>>
>>11900
Well, he's right that the Kwilu dynasty has plenty of portugese names.
>>
File: prepare your anus.jpg (92 KB, 418x576) Image search: [Google]
prepare your anus.jpg
92 KB, 418x576
Can we talk about the Fulani?
>>
>>12461
>>12602
I meant the story about ghosts. It sounds like the kind of thing someone would make up in the 19th century. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just doesn't sound real.
>>
>>12549
I think he said that with tongue in cheek, meaning that more people rather talk about the negative aspects than accept that africans aren't all mud huts and loincloths
>>
>>11117
Quads make me respond. I am speaking as a reaction to those who blindly dismiss african cultures and scocieties as less than others. It seems to be the stereotype for most, no?
>>
My favorite West African bronzes are the ones of Portuguese soldiers
>>
>>12549
Well im asking legitimate fucking humanities questions, on topic and no one is responding such as
>>12131

So it might as well go /pol/ atleast people are talking
>>
>>10905
Did you learn about the Nok culture from that guy who did that amazing alternate history timeline? That's when I first found out about it and I thought it was pretty obscure.
>>
File: mm033059_l[1].jpg (84 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
mm033059_l[1].jpg
84 KB, 600x600
>>12790
pic didn't attach
>>
I am genuinely interested in what aspects the fucking Nok society survives today on a communal level
>>
>>12535
Eh, centrals are alright, but western african faces are literally perfect

That said, I can't remember where those tribals peeps that expanded their lips with clay circles where from.
>>
>>12805
Okay, have fun there I guess.

It seems your average /his/chooler isn't interested in this kind of b8, thank fuck.
>>
>>12902
To be honest, i know mainly central africans, so i'm naturally biased. Also because their girls obviously flirt with me, something considerably rare in my nation's very introvert culture.
>>
>>12834
Did they sculpt a bulge?

>>12902
West Africans are fucking gorgeous.
>>
>>12909
Wheres the b8 friendo.
>>
>>12902
They are form Ethiopia
>>
File: Ivory Salt Cellar (1490-1530).jpg (311 KB, 1448x1263) Image search: [Google]
Ivory Salt Cellar (1490-1530).jpg
311 KB, 1448x1263
>>12790
Look up the Afro-Portuguese Ivories, you should like them. Basically, when the Portuguese arrived in west Africa they found the natives were great at carving ivory and commissioned them to make things like salt cellars and decorative spoons, usually with Christian/European imagery. What you get are these amazing ivories with a mix of African and European imagery. This was especially common in Sierra Leone, though it happened in Benin too.
>>
>>12220

Rhodesia actually is far enough back that it meets the 25 year threshold.

Unfortunately, the breakup of the USSR doesn't.
>>
>>13180
That's really nice.
>>
>>13317

I'd hope the jannies would be sensible enough to allow something that happened 24 years ago to be discussed...
>>
File: S.jpg (217 KB, 859x847) Image search: [Google]
S.jpg
217 KB, 859x847
>>12902
But when Centrals look beautiful, they really look godly. This girl is half rwandan half congolese, but born and raised norwegian.
>>
>>13534
What is her name?
>>
>>13461

Depends on their autism levels, I reckon
>>
File: Henry VIII armour.jpg.jpg (55 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Henry VIII armour.jpg.jpg
55 KB, 480x640
>>13069
Codpieces, m8. Armors were sculptured with a bulge so you wouldn't chafe your penis. the most famous example is Henry VIII's armor
>>
>>13561
Seka Iraguha. I actually met her a few times. Pretty smart girl. Works in some UN department in Sweden now i think.
>>
>>13534
She's extremely attractive
>>
File: fulani.jpg (30 KB, 373x550) Image search: [Google]
fulani.jpg
30 KB, 373x550
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fula_people

These guys are some of the most culturally diverse ethnic groups in Africa.

Fun fact: Some of their ancestors were originally from Asia, but they came back to Africa some several thousand years ago.
>>
>>10905
>literally a fucking chin wank statue

Ok
>>
>>14253
>Some of their ancestors were originally from Asia, but they came back to Africa some several thousand years ago.
Fucking why?
>>
File: woodabe-beauty-contest-216-copy.jpg (132 KB, 1000x649) Image search: [Google]
woodabe-beauty-contest-216-copy.jpg
132 KB, 1000x649
>>14253
Here's a sub-section of the Fula people, the Wodaabe, in a beauty contest. The women vote for who is the most handsome man based on aesthetics, and from the looks of it, crazy faces, as seen here >>12670
>>
>>11675
Much better. Before the desertification, settlements during the Neolithic Era in current central/west Sudan had a rich enviroment (but is now desert) that supported a large population and were having an agricutural revolution. They were also settled with domnesticated plants and livestock, which is unusually early by the world scale.

They contructed Megaliths and is one of the worlds oldest and first known archaeoastronomy devices, predating Stonehenge by 2,000 years. Their culture also formed the basis of later Nubia and Egypt. But then desertification hit and pretty much wrecked the ancient societies hard as they were dependant on settled agriculture. Had it not happened, things would have been very different today, most likely.
>>
>>14456
Those are men
>>
>>14474
>The women vote for who is the most handsome man
>>
File: is dis nigga fureal.jpg (50 KB, 229x389) Image search: [Google]
is dis nigga fureal.jpg
50 KB, 229x389
>>14456
>>
>>14456
They look like backup singers for Prince.
>>
>>14438
Yeah, why didn't they just use google to see the current situation in Africa?
>>
>>14468
That really sucks.

>>14438
People went back and forth to and from Africa, not to mention the entire Old World. There's Indian DNA in Australian Aborigines and vice-versa, European DNA in some Khoisan without it being recent (in other words, colonization), Austronesian DNA in at least half of Madagascar, etc.

Humans love to move, and wherever we find other humans, we must fuck them.
>>
>>14456
>those cheekbones

Goddamn.
>>
>>11128
You think THOSE swords are weird?
>>
>>13625
It was to remind the women why they were there.. not for chafing
>>
>>13625
Mate you didn't stick your penis inside of the bulge
>>
>>15639
where did he say that
>>
File: DSC03421.jpg (418 KB, 1495x1116) Image search: [Google]
DSC03421.jpg
418 KB, 1495x1116
Ge'ez is my favorite non-Latin alphabet
>>
>>12104
Can you give a curious anon the rundown on Coptic Christianity?
>>
I remember hearing a story of an African king who traveled to the middle east and brought all his riches with him, and because of the presence of him and his subject the area's economy pretty much got turned inside out.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I heard it in one of the rare "fuck eurocentric history games" on /v/.
>>
>>15996
Mansa musa
>>
>>15996
I think you are talking about Mansa Musa, aka the most wealthy man in the history of the planet.
>>
>>15996
Mansa Musa in Egypt lad

Overrated desu, because Mali sat on one of the largest - and easily exploitable - goldfields in the world
>>
>>15479
Is that a pizza cutter?
>>
>>16094
It looks like a novelty kitchen gadget that my mom would buy desu
>>
>>16040
Honestly that's the only thing I've ever heard about Mansa Musa. Are there any good resources that give a more detailed account of his life?
>>
>>16166
Wikipedia
>>
Sub Saharan Africa's history is nothing more than straw huts until the Europeans came and taught them how to work metal.
>>
>>16264
No.
>>
>>16264
/pol/ is trying so hard to astroturf this board.
>>
>>16264
>blatant lies
>>
>>15479
>that penis to the side
>>
>>11846
>Citation
Or at least an example
>>
File: 2011-04-18 16.20.47.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
2011-04-18 16.20.47.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>13180
I saw some at the Disney-Tishman Collection at the Smithsonian. They're pretty awe-inspiring.
>>
>>16166
He gained his throne from his uncle who tried to sail the western sea and was never seen again.

Unlike his predecessors Musa was a devout Muslim and abhorred paganism.

Eventually he made hajj and brought back foreign scholars to study in Mali too.

Musa commissioned schools and libraries.

I'll admit African history can be a niche subject but I prefer it that way.
>>
>>11128
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuCnZClWwpQ

The video is long, but very good.
>>
>>16094
Its a throwing knife, I'm pretty sure. There's a lot of really cool/odd looking African throwing knives out there.
>>
File: ....png (47 KB, 625x613) Image search: [Google]
....png
47 KB, 625x613
>>16264
>>
File: african kingdoms.jpg (136 KB, 1227x1087) Image search: [Google]
african kingdoms.jpg
136 KB, 1227x1087
So which one of these kingdoms were the most successful?
>>
>>18046
Depends on how you mean successful, but i would give it to ethiopia.
>>
>>13534
>Those aesthetics
>With a norwegian accent

Oh god muh dick
>>
File: 1267398072546.jpg (32 KB, 327x284) Image search: [Google]
1267398072546.jpg
32 KB, 327x284
>>17929
>African ninja stars
>>
>>18099
Pretty much this. Ethiopia was civilized and prosperous. Their main disadvantage was that they had Muslim between them and Europe, so commerce was out of question. When the Portuguese came, the kingdom flowered once again. If only the Euroniggers (Italians) did not destabilized them...
>>
>>11071
Ethiopia is not sub-saharan btw
>>
>>18046
Hands down Mali, Asanteman, or Ethiopia
>>
File: Menelik.jpg (78 KB, 293x350) Image search: [Google]
Menelik.jpg
78 KB, 293x350
>>18440
Ethiopia is south of the Sahara desert and has more in common with its neighbors than with North Africans or West Asians
>>
>>12133

Muslim Elephants, i love it
>>
>>10905
wow thats some really good 'art'..

how can europians even compete?
>>
>>12131

There are functioning democracies in Africa, yes. Botswana and Namibia are the best examples.
>>
>>18625
How does this thread have an SJW feel? Go away /pol/
>>
>>18680
cultures aren't a competition
>>
>>13069

BIG

WHITE
>>
>>18701
Stop feeding the damn trolls

We have decent threads about african history on /tg/ because we ignore shitposters and actually discuss the finer points of the subject

They get bored and fuck off
>>
>>13625

no, it was so when you got a boner in the middle of battle it wouldn't go *CLANG* against your armour and embarrass you

read a book, dude
>>
>>18680
>you subjective taste is worse than my subjective taste
It's ok sempai. Is 20 fucking 15 desu
>>
>>18762
fuck off back to >>>/tg/
>>
>>10905
ITT we thx rhodes
>>
>>18835
If you don't report-hide-sage you're part of the issue
>>
>>15479

it is multipurpose, my friend i love it
>>
>>15996

MANSA MUSA MY MONEY BEAUCOUP
>>
>>18680
Professional artists were not a common thing in the region this piece is from. It was likely sculpted by someone who had a different primary job. African art is important because it is largely folk art and thus representative of the broad colloquial culture, and not simply of the landed elite.
>>
>>18702
everything is a competition
>>
Very unique sculptures and weapons.
Who taught them how to smelt? Muslims?
>>
>>18926
Technically, their technique was developed before Islam existed.
>>
>>18948
What's the technique called? Or where can I find info on more weapons like that?
>>
File: 0.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
According legend Mali was founded by the hero Sundiata Keita.

He defeated the dark lord Sumanguru Kante and his twelve allies united into one Mandinka nation.

In reality he was most likely a very successful and charismatic local king who took full advantage of the collapse of the old empire of Wagadu, beating out the claim of the Sosso tribe as successors to Wagadu.

Manden (origin of the term Mandinka) was a collection of city states until they were united under the Keita clan in the early 13th century after the climactic battle of Kirina.

Sundiata later converted to Islam after subduing the Wolof people who had converted earlier.
>>
>>18996
It's pulled exclusively from the largely illiterate Khoisan hunter gatherers who live in the desert.
>>
>>13625
fucking henry
>>
>>19053
Nice bait.
>>
>>11733
>what is roman sculpture
>what are charlemagne's court artisans

Come on bait harder.
>>
>>11873

> Misquito people
>ruled by wasps

kek
>>
>>19114
what?
>>
File: grimes tub of mayo.jpg (79 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
grimes tub of mayo.jpg
79 KB, 500x332
>>19155
I hope you'r real fucking proud of yourself
>>
>>18680
>>18910

Also The Two Crowns was painted fucking 1900 (and thus had Classical, Byzantine, Early Medieval, Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo, Neoclassicism, Romanticism, Realism and Impressionism to build off), whilst this sculpture is from the Nok civilisation, and thus from between 1000 BC and around 300 AD.
>>
>>19182
I refuse to apologize
>>
>>19181
You heard me
>>
>>19053
>Indigenous people of America
>Blacks
Thanks for dragging down the literacy rate of wherever you're from.
>>
File: charl.png (2 MB, 767x1127) Image search: [Google]
charl.png
2 MB, 767x1127
>>19131

Roman sculpture is superior (but not Medieval), while Carolingian art is probably equally as good.
>>
>>19239
>indigenous people of america
>alive
and here i thought people were supposed to know history..
>>
>>19053
blacks aren't the indigenous people of detroit, bruv. We're talking about those alcoholic injuns that are now kept in their reservation containment zones
>>
>>19282
>People don't consider native Americans to be indigenous
Nice job being pedantic though
>>
>>18998
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/iron/hd_iron.htm
>>
>>19282

But they are, and that map is a measure of INDIGENOUS populations (and it's probably bloody awful when it comes to accuracy)
>>
File: Mande trading.jpg (261 KB, 640x444) Image search: [Google]
Mande trading.jpg
261 KB, 640x444
The first humans arrived in west africa around 12,000 BC. And sometime in the 5th millennium BC they began farming. Around 1200 BC they started working iron and by 400 BCE they made contact with north african Berber tribes and Carthage.

Travel across the desert was difficult as FUCK prior to the arrival of the camel. However, the Sahara was far more hospitable in antiquity.

During the neolithic it was actually a vast savanna full of waterways.

The art of the Nok culture is strongly believed to be an influence on that of the later Volta-Niger speaking populations such as the Yoruba and Edo.

Wagadu (better known as the Ghana empire, named as such by the arabs after the name of the king) arose some time in the 4th century AD. Most likely as a confederation against nomadic berber attacks. Since 1500 BC the people of the sahel had begun building increasingly dense settlements such as Tichit-Walata out of stone.
>>
>>18685
Ghana's not doing too badly as well, by third world standards anyway
>>
File: 35gjgr_400x400.jpg (40 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
35gjgr_400x400.jpg
40 KB, 400x400
>>11128
>Curved swords
>>
The rapid Bantu expansion is clear evidence that technological progress was happening in sub-Saharan Africa. They had iron and agriculture and so rolled right over the hunter-gatherers who'd lived in that area since forever, although I dunno to what extent the Bantus developed metalworking and agriculture themselves or got it from the Mediterranean world...
>>
Why is there nearly no evidence of African architecture beyond mudhuts?
>>
File: file.png (683 KB, 720x500) Image search: [Google]
file.png
683 KB, 720x500
>>18680
>yuropoors
>>
>>18910

African art also served as an inspiration for modern European artists Picasso.
>>
>>20630
Because there was no high-yeild staple crop in SS Africa before corn and bananas were introduced.
>>
>>20591
Ironwork was developed independently in sub saharan africa.

It helped that the deposits of workable iron are fucking everywhere.
>>20819
Not many people know this, kudos
>>
If you're ever around Detroit, go the Charles H Wright Museum of African American History. There is an unforgettable ~3 hour exhibit describing African history from as far back as it goes to now. Unfortunately there are no photos online, so just trust an anon. That shit will stick with you forever.
>>
File: greek.jpg (113 KB, 450x563) Image search: [Google]
greek.jpg
113 KB, 450x563
>>18680

Well, this was European art from the same time...
>>
>>20703
Prefer this to renesaince painting tbqh
>>
>>11675
It's what seperated sub-saharan africa from the rest of the old world, so they would have traded with all the other civs and you'd see a lot more larger empires there, and also europe and asia would benefit from said trade.

On the other hand, europe relies on wind blowing north over the sahara for its temperature, so its likely europe would be much colder and less developed as a result.
>>
>>21615

the sahara is a white supremacist desert
>>
>>10905
talk about bbc
>>
>>10905
>africa isn't just mudhuts!!!!
>shows everyone that it was just mudhuts.
I'm confused OP?
>>
>>21648
kek
>>
Thank you mods.

Let's talk about Queen Nzinga of Ndongo and Matamba.

How did she manage to kek the Portuguese for so long?
>>
>>22729

By developing Ndongo's martial power and tightening the control she had on trade between the Portuguese coastal colonies and the African interior.
>>
>>22729
>The Portuguese never honoured the treaty however, neither withdrawing Ambaca, nor returning the subjects, who they held were slaves captured in war, and they were unable to restrain the Imbangala.

>The Imbangala or Mbangala were 17th century groups of Angolan warriors and marauders who founded the Kasanje Kingdom.

>Instead, they replenished their numbers by capturing adolescents and forcing them to serve in their army. In methods reminiscent of modern child soldier recruitment, the young captives were often forced to kill and eat people, consume considerable alcohol and could not be admitted to full membership until they had killed an enemy in combat. Cannibalism, ritual human sacrifice and torture were all featured in what seventeenth century observers called the "quixilla laws" (from Kimbundu kixila, or prohibition) by which the Imbangala were said to live.

Shit, never knew child soldiering had been a centuries old African tradition
>>
>>22934
>>>/pol/
>>
>>11898
>Having a leader is contrary to teamwork

Noice
>>
>>22863

The Imbangala were just a bunch of nasty violent fuckers who deserted the Portuguese and waged wars against based Nzinga and the Kingdom of Ndongo just because they wanted to expand and have more territory to maruad and pillage. Literally shit-tier pre-colonial Africans.
>>
>>22993

>In almost Spartan-like program, children were trained daily in group and individual combat. During training they wore a collar which could not be removed, even after initiation, until they had killed a man in battle. Aside from infanticide rituals, the Imbangala covered themselves with ointment called maji a samba believed to confer invulnerabliity as long as the soldier followed strict set of yijila codes. The yijila required the infanticide, cannibalism and an absolute absence of cowardice.

Idk as savage and stupid as it is it also sounds pretty badass and cool ngl.
>>
>>22993
>waged wars against based Nzinga and the Kingdom of Ndongo just because they wanted to expand and have more territory to maruad and pillage

...there's a better reason?
>>
>>23087

Nzinga cared about her people because she was good and pure and qt
>>
>>23158
Surely you can know that.

Why is African history so sparse?
>>
>>23158

>tfw she will never ally with you (the Dutch) against the Portuguese because of your justice and politeness, while the Portuguese are proud and haughty.
>tfw you will never cuddle with her inside her royal hut in the heart of Kabasa, the capital of her kingdom

WHY LIVE
>>
>>23208

I know I was making it up.

Also there's not a lot of written records, simply because written languages weren't that common. Apart from Ge'ez/Amharic I think the only place they've found possible evidence for a writing system is on some pottery excavated near Calabar in south Nigeria.
>>
>>11128
IIRC they were used to curve over shields or blocking weapons so that the opponent would still get hit. Romans encountered similar swords and added the horizontal ridge to their helmets to help protect against them
>>
File: musgum-PATRIM1.jpg (39 KB, 400x585) Image search: [Google]
musgum-PATRIM1.jpg
39 KB, 400x585
some mud huts are actually pretty cool
>>
File: YaaAsantewaa_FreedomFighter.jpg (793 KB, 810x495) Image search: [Google]
YaaAsantewaa_FreedomFighter.jpg
793 KB, 810x495
>>22729

Yaa Asantewaa > Queen Shitzinga desu senpai
>>
File: Sud1.jpg (645 KB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
Sud1.jpg
645 KB, 3504x2336
>182 posts
>not one mention of Meroe or Kush

how could this happen
>>
>>23420

for sure
>>
>>23628

i love these style buildings they're so comfy
>>
How about Somalia? Since they're situated at the very end of east Africa from the silk road, they must have something interesting.
>>
>>23710
Their legal system is pretty interesting

>Xeer, pronounced [ħeːr], is the polycentric legal system of Somalia. Under this system, elders serve as judges and help mediate cases using precedents.[1] It is an example of how customary law works within a stateless society and closely resembles the natural law principle.[2]

>According to Spencer Heath MacCallum, the Somali nation did not begin with the common use of the Somali language by the clans, but rather with the collective observance of Xeer. Xeer is thus referred to as being both the father and child of the Somali nation

>Under Xeer, there is no authority that dictates what the law should be. The law is instead discovered by judges as they determine the best way to resolve a dispute. As such, the Somali nation by tradition is a stateless society; that is, Somalis have never accepted the authority of any central government, their own or any other.[3] Under Xeer law, Somalia forms a kritarchy and conforms in many respects to natural law. The lack of a central governing authority means that there is a slight variation in the interpretation of Xeer amongst different communities. The laws that are widely accepted are called xeer guud and those particular to a specific community are referred to as xeer tolnimo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeer
>>
File: RTR1TVN1.jpg (1 MB, 4032x2565) Image search: [Google]
RTR1TVN1.jpg
1 MB, 4032x2565
lettuce not forget the church of saint george, ethiopia

it's rock solid ;^)
>>
How common was inbreeding in Africa?
>>
>>18837
>Year of Our Lord MMXV
>being a nihilist

https://vimeo.com/55784152
>>
File: 561.jpg (237 KB, 777x1024) Image search: [Google]
561.jpg
237 KB, 777x1024
>>21422
The idea that art has to be ultra realistic is retarded.
>>
>>24375

and usually perpetrated by people that don't understand art or aren't generally interested in it and know a lot about it
>>
>>24503
It's a real shame
>>
>>11128
Wow those swords look pretty awesome
>>
>>23381

And the records they left are cryptic at best, lost in obsolescence.
>>
>>21005
>Ironwork was developed independently in sub saharan africa.

Do we really know this, thought?

Given that civilizations to their north had been working iron for a long long time, eventually you'd think that knowledge would filter south. Whether from the Phoenicians or Arabs or whoever.
>>
>>11128
Khopesh is GOAT
>>
>>15479
Precursor to the Swiss army knife?
>>
>>12133
>>18653
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tBqdKGiqnI
>>
>>19028
I first encountered the Sundiata legends via Walter Ong's discussion (in Orality & Literacy) of anthropologists trying to collate them all through the weird-ass African bards who sing them. Might be an interesting read for anyone who likes Sundiata.
>>
>>25353
look and despair
>>
>>25950

<3
>>
File: moschea-bozo.jpg (79 KB, 723x483) Image search: [Google]
moschea-bozo.jpg
79 KB, 723x483
>>20630
Well besides the Ethiopians who were very advanced, you also have the Mali Empire which had some pretty rad buildings.
>>
Why is most of ancient African cultures situated in west-central-east Africa? What about the south Africa? Were there no known old culture there? One would think it would be more hospitable for growth in that region rather than right below Sahara
>>
>>10905
But even in those cultures they did live in mudhuts. Just sayin, no h8 m8.
>>
>>23208
>Why is African history so sparse?
No written language.
>>
>>17694
Pic related, but I should have said 13th century really.

>>25422
Yes.

It was assumed in the 19th-early20th centuries that metalworking came from Eurasia, and in some cases like Nubia and Ethiopia that's true. But pretty much every modern archaeologist agrees that the major iron-working tradition of Africa grew up in the Western Sudan (around Niger) independently. See >>11136

>>30817
East Africa was civilized because it was a part of the wider system of Eurasian civilization. West African civilizations grew independently there, probably because that's where most of Africa's crops and agriculture originate, as well as being the origin of ironworking. Also, the trans-Saharan trade stimulated economies which promoted the growth of cities and states.

Sub-tropical Africa was only colonised by agriculturalists during the Bantu expansions, so it took a much longer time for their populations to build up. They were isolated both from Eurasia as well as other parts of Africa. Notably, horses couldn't reach the region due to tsetse flies. Nonetheless, there were impressive Bantu states like the Kongo, plus in Zimbabwe there were chiefdom powerful enough to built large ringforts.

>One would think it would be more hospitable for growth in that region rather than right below Sahara
South Africa is the most hospitable part of sub-Saharan Africa for Eurasian crops, but a lot of it is actually inhospitable for the tropical African crops that Bantus grew. That's why whites settler there so much, not just because their own crops could grow there but because the area was already mostly empty.
>>
>>18760
COD PIECES
>>
>>23208

Europeans nations destroyed most of the evidences to support the idea of african being non-humans to be conquered.
>>
>>22729
Isn't she that bitch who kept a man harem, made two of the members fight each other to death, then fuck the winner, kill him in the morning and rinse repeat?
>>
>>14456
>you'll never have a cute androgynous Fula bf dressing up for you
>>
>>31346
Nice observation.

I know there's a dividing line somewhere in south africa where tropical crops are impossible to grow.

The bushmen and khoisan found refuge in the Mediterranean and desert climate.

Strangely enough central africa was the most remote and depopulated area of the continent. Mostly because of the rainforest and ridiculous rivers.
>>
File: Ashanti Great Hall 1.jpg (267 KB, 1024x726) Image search: [Google]
Ashanti Great Hall 1.jpg
267 KB, 1024x726
>>31413
That's an exaggeration, but it really pisses me off what the British did to the Ashanti. They're buildings were cool as fuck, and they were all burned down. Now there are just a few tiny shrines left.
>>
>>13625
More like Hungry VIII

'cause he's hung, not 'cause he's hungry.
>>
>>23662
I dunno if i would call them comfy, but they look.. Organic? There's something about the construction that makes it look natural
>>
>>31432
Is that a guy?
>>
File: fula_people_9_by_bintavivi.jpg (109 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
fula_people_9_by_bintavivi.jpg
109 KB, 1024x768
>>31494
yes
>>
>>21615
I mean, the Sahara didn't stop trade across Africa. Trade is how Islam spread to places like Mali. (Mansa Musa etc.)
>>
>>23827
No idea. But polynesian tribes would raid each other and kidnap each other's girls to make wives out of. Mostly bloodless too.

While friendly/allied tribes would naturally send girls to each other. I'm guessing certain african tribes did the same.
>>
>>31528
The biggest issue is that any non-native would have a hard time crossing the Sahara, while natives would be able to do it with some ease. It's not a friendly place by any stretch of the imagination. So Sub-Saharan traders could cross into North Africa, but Western traders could hardly go down.
>>
>>31413
Eh, not quite. Many african artifacts have been rescued by colonizers. There was no organized attempt to destroy or revise history by all European powers.

Of course exceptions exist. The white ruled zimbabwean government could actually have you arrested and your funding cut if you found or admitted evidence of Great Zimbabwe being built by ANY black tribes.

The British looted and burned down Benin city, carrying of vast numbers of ivory and bronze artwork. Admittedly the Edo shot themselves in the foot by hiding human sacrifice from ambassadors. Later crackpot conspiracy theorists claimed Benin was founded by Aryan Atlanteans whose black slaves were the only survivors because the idea of them creating such art was unbelievable.
>>
>>31580
Absolutely. But the West weren't the only people in the New World. And this isn't even touching on how the Eastern coast of Africa was heavily involved in the Indian Ocean trade network.
>>
>>14456
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV0SeJUczBw

This is terrifying
>>
>>31487
Indeed. The journals of British travelers and ambassadors made it sound beautiful before it was destroyed.

The Ashanti were one of the few tribes that the British empire respected as warriors. Mostly because of the fact that despite losing ultimately, they were very adaptable and clever.

If only the Ashanti king DIDNT tell his armies to stand down I think they would have put up a fight that'd make the Zulu jealous.
>>
File: Guardafui_Lighthouse.jpg (518 KB, 2072x2481) Image search: [Google]
Guardafui_Lighthouse.jpg
518 KB, 2072x2481
Medieval Somalia had great trading cities, and their influence spread so wide that Indian ports had entire quarters and neighborhoods for Somalian merchants.
This legacy of seafaring and entrepreneurship lasted well into the 20th century:

"The Somali wanders afar. You will find him working as deck hand, fireman, or steward, on all the great liners trading to the East. I know of a Somali tobacconist in Cardiff, a Somali mechanic in New York, and a Somali trader in Bombay, the latter of whom speaks French, English, and Italian fluently". (Rayne, 1921)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_history_of_Somalia
>>
>>31929
Somalia used to be the shit. Too bad about the civil war.
>>
File: Almnara Tower.jpg (318 KB, 794x800) Image search: [Google]
Almnara Tower.jpg
318 KB, 794x800
>>31929
That lighthouse is Italian, here's a Somali one.
>>
>>11745
Fuck off /pol/
>>
>>31697
Different standards of beauty. I think its fascinating.
>>
>>23662
It looks incredibly cartoony, or animated even. I like it. Reminds me of the Windwaker.
>>
Reminder that mudhuts were good enough for the Romans.
>>
>>32511
Where are these African aqueducts, bath houses, colosseums, etc?
>>
Good books on African History? I could sign up for a masters program ''African Studies'' in Morocco next year (studying History with a minor in Arabic at the moment, so it'd be fitting). I'd prefer more narrative rich books, even historical novels would do to spark interest. I never get inspired to learn about anything through textbooks.
>>
>>32587
Reverend Al Sharpton is truly the best representation of historians of pre-colonial Africa, correct.
>>
>>32587
>Al Sharpton
Biggest cunt in modern history. He singlehandedly done more damage to race relations than anyone else, Trump included.
>>
>>31419

>implying that's not a great way to insure your kids are strongest

Men have done this sort of thing to women throughout history and they can still be classed as 'great men', why do the standards suddenly change for women. Yes, monarchs of the past often had tyrannical streaks, that don't mean they weren't strong leaders and tacticians and shit.

>tfw you will never be part of her harem
>>
>>33076
>Men have done this sort of thing to women throughout history
Can't say i recall any stories about men making the women fight each other to death, fuck them, and then kill them afterwards.

I don't mind that she had a harem, i don't like the fact that she made them fight each other to death for her amusement and sadofetish, and i hate the fact that she had the winner murdered the next day.
>>
>>33136
>I don't mind that she had a harem, i don't like the fact that she made them fight each other to death for her amusement and sadofetish, and i hate the fact that she had the winner murdered the next day.

Fair, on the other hand it gives ME a boner, so agree to disagree!
>>
>>17929
>tfw no African ninja game
>>
>we talk about the fact that Africa wasn't just mudhuts and Egyptians

But it was.

This isn't your African Studies class.
>>
>>18507
Eritrea and the Horn of Africa have long been known to have tribes that are diametrically opposed to the Bantus. In other words you're full of shit.
>>
>>20819
What about African rice and millet? Or were those not used as much?
>>
I'm always impressed by how much she looked like the Popess (classic High Priestess) Tarot card, that and being the African Cixi
>>
File: Ethiopia_empress_zauditu.jpg (35 KB, 195x286) Image search: [Google]
Ethiopia_empress_zauditu.jpg
35 KB, 195x286
>>33547
Of course I forgot my pic.
>>
File: Zewditu_and_favored_priest.png (896 KB, 570x768) Image search: [Google]
Zewditu_and_favored_priest.png
896 KB, 570x768
>>33565
>>
>>23827
Well, let's put it this way: They're the most genetically diverse people on the planet, especially the Khoisan and Pygmy people.

So probably not that common.
>>
>>30817
Southern Africa had the Great Zimbabwe Empire.
>>
>>33655
Great diversity at the continental level generally implies isolation and inbreeding at the local level.
>>
File: Ancient dogon houses.jpg (158 KB, 1932x1449) Image search: [Google]
Ancient dogon houses.jpg
158 KB, 1932x1449
Dogon are cool.

they live on mountain sides
>>
I know that Mansa was rich as fuck, but how about the people? Were there simply a ruling elite while the peasants and craftsmen was dirt poor?
>>
File: Ark of the world Dogon people.gif (150 KB, 500x393) Image search: [Google]
Ark of the world Dogon people.gif
150 KB, 500x393
>>16411
Stop assuming everyone who's ignorant of african history is /pol/. I've used /pol/ since it was made and I still like African history.
>>
>>33726
No that was in Zimbabwe
>>
File: 1410102376821.jpg (80 KB, 700x714) Image search: [Google]
1410102376821.jpg
80 KB, 700x714
>>34171
>Zimbabwe is in Southern Africa
>implying I was talking about the country South Africa
>>
hey uhm
there was this group of hunter-killer women who specialized in beheading people. i think they were west african

anyone got more info?
>>
>>34434
Sounds metal as fuck
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 86

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.