[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boer War
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Slow_and_Sure_-_JM_Staniforth.png (431 KB, 655x552) Image search: [Google]
Slow_and_Sure_-_JM_Staniforth.png
431 KB, 655x552
Did the British have any legitimate grievance here?
>>
"You're on top of gold we want" was a pretty legit grievance at that point
>>
the eternal anglo strikes again
>>
>>1088805
His ancestors oppressed the Zulu and his descendants were racist, he had it coming
>>
Yeah, the Boers didn't allow foreigners to vote immediately. A legitimate reason for humanitarian intervention
>>
>>1088809
>The appropriate solution to oppressive peoples is to oppress them
>>
>>1088752
In retrospect, I think the British had no choice but to prosecute the war against the Boers. The conflict aroused Irish national sentiment greatly, for example. If the British had let the Boers get their way the Irish may well have revolted sooner. On the other hand, the Anglo-Irish war nearly ended in the victory of the Brits considering the exhaustion of the IRA by the end of it. So if a revolt had been launched earlier, and before the Great War created a war-weary British public, the Irish rebellion may well have been crushed. But the decline of the British Empire may well have been inevitable desu, and I also realize I'm going on a tangent kek..
>>
>>1088824
I bet you tolerate intolerant people, you overly tolerant fuck
>>
Just quickly browsed the wiki article, was GB's policy for war expenderatures back then 'just fuck my shit up senpai'?
Did they have so many resources turn of the 20th century that they could afford to throw huge amounts away on another colonial war?
>>
>>1088841
The British expected a quick victory against the Boers. Little did they know that the Boers would put up a stiff resistance. Moreover, they overestimated the ability of the British army, which the war revealed to be poorly suited for modern warfare. The British army always received less funding the the Royal Navy and had old-fashioned tactics and gear. The whole war was a huge wakeup call to army commanders and confirmed general fears about national decline among the British public vis a vis the Russians and the Germans. It's telling that the Kaiser's support for the boers, as well as his talks of sending volunteer brigades stirred public outrage in Britain.
>>
>>1088752
They mistreated British citizens, the Uitlanders immigrating to seek gold
>their immigration ment they outnumbered the Boers in Transvaal
>>
>>1089740
Aside from mandating them to have resided in the country for a minimum time period before voting, how did they mistreat them?
>>
>>1088809
>his descendants
Doesn't look like (s)he had any.
>>
Can someone recommend me some reading about the subject? Got the osprey books about this already
>>
File: 00mosley2.jpg (23 KB, 490x313) Image search: [Google]
00mosley2.jpg
23 KB, 490x313
The eternal anglo strikes again.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.