[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What European colonial power was more likely to colonize Japan?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 74.png (387 KB, 1454x1308) Image search: [Google]
74.png
387 KB, 1454x1308
What European colonial power was more likely to colonize Japan?
>>
>>1087264
None, maybe portugal or spain for a few years before getting kicked out because stretching out supply lines that far away from europe is not beneficial to any power. It became pretty much impossible by the time Japan was unified.
But even if they were colonized, there's nothing worthwhile on Japan to harvest compared to South America or other places.
>>
>>1087264
If anything 16th century Europeans looked at Japan as a potential local ally and trade port.
>>
>>1087264
Ottoman Empire
>>
Neither of them would come close to this.

>>1087311

I remember reading somewhere that they wanted the Japanese to convert and to launch Crusades on China and the rest of Asia from there.
>>
>>1087297
They had a fuckload of silver. And it would be completely impossible for Spain to conquer it, even in the era of Charles V. And I'm a huge Habsburgboo.
>>
probably England

>English Merchant disrespects a samurai
>Samurai kills him
>icanseewherethisisgoing.jpg
>later British ships bomb the fuck out of the samurai's clan
>Samurai fight so valiantly that Brit cry manly tears
>bromance ensues as Brits help said clan overthrow the Shogun

I shit you not
>>
>>1087264
No european nation in the colonial period was capable of conquering japan. The best they could have managed was a naval blockade, which japan just would have laughed at
>>
File: takedaclan.jpg (520 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
takedaclan.jpg
520 KB, 1920x1080
Portugal, because the the Treaty of Tordesillas put the entirety of Japan under Portuguese claim.

Netherlands, because they had significant contact and influence over the government in Edo thanks to Dejima's trade policy.

Both Dutch and Alberto Barbosas also had territorries in Asia, like Macau and, later on, Dutch Spice Islands.

Of course, we are working under the pressumption that any colonial power would try to colonize Japan at all. Not only Japan is pretty far from Europe for big naval convoys to be established without facing logistic problems, but also, the Japanese fought well enough to fend off any attemp to colonize the country, and Europeans saw many of the Asian cultures as respectful and worthy of the title of civilization, unlike with Africans and Latin Americans.
>>
If anything, colonial powers looked at Japanese as equals. The first Englishman to ever land there integrated rather comfortably into their society.
>>
Portugal
The Netherlands
America, eventually
>>
File: QfGWgqG.png (93 KB, 265x258) Image search: [Google]
QfGWgqG.png
93 KB, 265x258
This thread makes me wonder.

When the Moortuguese first arrived in Japan and realized the nips were still fighting with spears and bows, why did Alberto Barbosa decide to sell them matchlocks instead of using the advantage of gunpowder to conquer Japan?
>>
>>1087264
Victorian England, they had similar etiquette and traditions.
>>
>>1088810
How and why would they do that?
It was very hard to send boats across the Indian Ocean to Japan. It would be cheaper and more profitable to just trade with them.
That being said, the Japs were constantly afraid that the Western traders and missionaries in the country were planning to conquer it. There were probably people who thought of it, but it probably came down to the logistics of traveling to Japan.
>>
>>1088810
300 - 1000 matchlocks are useless against 800,000+ spearmen. Also after that defeat no white man would ever have been aloud to step foot on Japanese soil ever again
>>
>>1088810
The japs captured shipwrecked barbosas or their ships and they traded their knowledge for their lives or freedom.
>>
File: a50.jpg (13 KB, 200x195) Image search: [Google]
a50.jpg
13 KB, 200x195
>>1088810
Because Alberto Barbosa is my nigger. He is a benevolent African American who does not destroy inferio, erm, different cultures, unlike white boi
>>
Portugal and the Pope tried to overthrow Shogun and Emperor once. To install a Christian puppet ruler. The christians ended up losing their heads.

Then the British helped the Emperor Meiji overthrow the last Shogun.

Okinawa prefecture was an American territory from the end of ww2 till the 1970s.
>>
>>1088810
Well, they made more money that way, I would assume.
>>
>>1088810
Imagine you're Sultan Alberto Barbosa and you're presented with these two options. Which do you do? Engage in a costly war nearly the entire length of the world away from you, or just trade with and promote one regional established power who can later give you everything you'd want from this colony without the hassles of having to run it? It's an easy one to answer.
>>
>>1091406
>Then the British helped the Emperor Meiji overthrow the last Shogun.
Source? Like, a scholarly one? I'm writing a paper about the Restoration right now and that would be some good shit
>>
File: King of Spain.jpg (170 KB, 800x1154) Image search: [Google]
King of Spain.jpg
170 KB, 800x1154
>>1087264
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.