[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How useful was the Great Wall of China? If so, how long was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 2023283-great_wall_1.jpg (3 MB, 2948x1944) Image search: [Google]
2023283-great_wall_1.jpg
3 MB, 2948x1944
How useful was the Great Wall of China?

If so, how long was it useful for?
>>
File: 1462380073001.png (869 KB, 2000x1748) Image search: [Google]
1462380073001.png
869 KB, 2000x1748
>>
It's pretty useful right now for tourism I'd say
>>
>>1086281

Well I mean in its original purpose.
>>
Walls work. Just ask Israel.
>>
>>1086271
I don't know about the Ming wall.

One theory that I like by Nicola di Cosmo though flips the logic of the "wall" upside down. He argued that ancient rulers of Warring States who built "walls" and the Qin dynasty which connected those walls were not doing so for purely defensive purposes. The "walls" also served as garrison outposts for soldiers on the frontier, and could be bases of operations of sorts for aggressive campaigns versus adversaries of the North. Throughout the wars between the Qin and Han and the Xiongnu, the Chinese people were often going on the offensive. Similarly, the warlords of the Warring States/Spring and Autumn also saw territorial expansion on the periphery as a way to get an edge over their rivals.
>>
>>1086271
It didn't keep the invaders out, but it took time to get horses and other equipment from one side to the other and the towers weren't close enough repel an assault, but they were close enough to enable smoke, flag, and light-based long range communication.
>>
>>1086271
The Ming Wall most definitely worked.

It only fell when the Dynasty did and Northern Garrison Commander, Wu Sangui, cut a deal with Nurhachi, prince of the Manchus, to save his life versus Rebel leaders.
>>
>>1086281
>crowded as fuck with people hawking shit

damn it
>>
>>1086301

You're right, Israel is a peaceful land and everyone loves them.
>>
>>1086624
what kind of a dumb non-response is this? the wall has been incredibly successful, that's why 'terrorism' has been reduced to random knife attacks. it's also very recent and built long after any of the wars israel has had. also, do you think the chinese built their wall because the mongols and manchus loved them?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.