[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Compilation of the Bible and Circular Reasoning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 4chan.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
So, yesterday, I had a train of thought concerning the arguments between Christians and their oppositions. Now, a huge portion of the arguments opposing Christianity is how quoting the Bible for things that proves the Bible's alleged authenticity falls under "circular reasoning".

Now, the Bible is a compilation of books and letters written by various people and sent to various audiences spanning years of time in between the books. So, would calling it circular reasoning be justifiable? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm very skeptical about the Bible, but... is it fair?

And it got me thinking, had the Bible not been compiled, would Christianity be more acceptable in this modern age?

But that leaves us with another question; what about the Koran? I'm not too familiar with the Koran itself, but with my various discussions with real life Muslims, daily, I'm pretty sure that it, too, is a compilation. So... what about them, then?

Discuss.

Also, pic unrelated.
>>
Phrases such as "scripture tells us all scripture is from god, therefore all the scriptures are true" is circular.
The fact that it is a compiled list of the prophets and hebrew tradition with the books of the apostles doesn't really alleviate the circularity of that line of thinking.

Like you mentioned the Koran,
They have every right to claim their book is true and holy and sacred as well. And there will surely be others that come that claim to be the truth, whole truth, and nothing but.
But does something's own claim to truth make it any more truthful?
>>
File: 5791375231_f4c79f5414.jpg (107 KB, 407x500) Image search: [Google]
5791375231_f4c79f5414.jpg
107 KB, 407x500
>>1085983
>All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

2 Timothy 3:16

>Koran
Demonic.
>>
>>1086013
Ah, yeah. Forgot about that verse.
>>
>>1085983
Not this again, please. We can't discuss this topic without attracting the autist and he's already here for fuck's sake.

>>1087760
See this shit? All he ever does is post bible quotes and call other belief systems either misguided or evil.

>>1086013
>>But does something's own claim to truth make it any more truthful?

Obviously not. We wouldn't have made any sort of attempt to cultivate a modern scientific understanding of the world if all the old legends and stories were factual.
>>
File: moderate-islam.jpg (33 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
moderate-islam.jpg
33 KB, 600x429
>>1088874
>See this shit? All he ever does is post bible quotes and call other belief systems either misguided or evil.
Not all belief systems can be correct and many are in fact evil. Religious indifferentism is absurd.

>Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.

Matthew 7:15-20
>>
>>1088874
>All he ever does is post bible quotes and call other belief systems either misguided or evil.

Yeah, I saw him on another thread, too. Literally, with the same exact pasta and the same exact pic. This was a mistake, wasn't it? Well, at least I now have use for leftover popcorn.
>>
>>1088994
>>Yeah, I saw him on another thread, too. Literally, with the same exact pasta and the same exact pic.

He's been in multiple threads shitting them up. He's pretty much the reason why we can't calmly discuss any given religion because he immediately shows up and starts preaching.

>>This was a mistake, wasn't it?
Probably.

>>Well, at least I now have use for leftover popcorn.

>leftover popcorn
eww gross

Popcorn is only good when fresh out of the microwave, salted, and with some melted butter poured on it.
>>
>>1088994
>This was a mistake, wasn't it?
Uh?
>>
>>1087760
2 Timothy is a forgery.
>>
>>1089041
>ew gross

Third-world college life, yo.
>>
>>1087760
look up Pseudo-Pauline famalam
>>
>>1085983
Qur'an wasn't really a compilation.
The book was memorized art the time of revelation by many people. It was also ordered while the prophet was alive. There were some disputes about the Qur'an later, hence it had to be standardized. Which was when Arabic diacritics were invented for vowels. People were memorizing and recording it wrong after the property died and the standardization helped stop that.
>>
>>1087760
You are the samefag in every thread.
Do you even have a job? Do you hang out on /his/ all day?
>>
>>1089323

Somewhat of a myth, there were in fact many variations of the Koran before Uthman had them all burned and issued his "standard" version.
>>
>>1089405
I'm pretty sure he's underage.
>>
>>1089405
>samefag
How new are you?
>>
>>1089234
>>he doesn't have left over pizza to warm up
Truly the third-world is far worse then I could ever have imagined.
>>
>>1089460
Pizza is too expensive to be leftover. For us, at least. I think I haven't had pizza since, like... last year or so?
>>
>>1089405
It's that Catholic guy who keeps posting the close up pictures of Jesus. I have a feeling he is French
>>
>>1089780
Why? Also, I'm genuinely surprised that the samefag wasn't Proddy.
>>
>>1089830
>samefag
>>1089455
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.