[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does a resource-scarce environment facilitate authoritarian regimes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Does a resource-scarce environment facilitate authoritarian regimes?
>>
A resource-scarce environment rewards rapid action, and forbids luxuries such as bureaucrats arguing themselves to death.
>>
not necessarily, i mean look at russia

it does however instigate expansionism
>>
I read a few interesting arguments that actually resource rich environments fuel authoritarian regimes, specifically with oil
>>
>>1085813
>>1085772
Because Libya, Iran, Saudia Arabia, Algeria and so forth are soooooo resource-scarce.
>>
File: 1454900304650.png (645 KB, 1400x1050) Image search: [Google]
1454900304650.png
645 KB, 1400x1050
Quite the opposite, I'd say. For example, it's interesting to note that while Indus River Valley farmers laboring under various Rajput tended to have higher yields than contemporaneous agricultural workers in the baltic region of Europe, the Baltic farmers lived much better. It's because, the Indus River Valley agricultural workers were able to create a surplus of grain large enough to facilitate the creation of a state which was capable of taxing and drafting them, that is, capable of imposing on them. The Baltics had less productive sandy soil, but that low production in fact prevented any authoritarian regime from being able to implement it's will as effectively and Baltic farmers, although they had much less surplus, were able to keep most of it.
>>
>>1085772
No

t.South America
>>
>>1085772
rents
>>
>>1085772
>Does a resource-scarce environment facilitate authoritarian regimes?

It requires more complex set-ups of social and financial interactions and many of the jobs needed for the greater good are not desirable.
>>
Not really, on the notion that no government style will save the nation from being a shithole.
>>
>>1085807
Is this bait? Russia has a huge amount of resoruces.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.