[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you all think of the logical concept of possible worlds?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 66432.jpg (90 KB, 445x600) Image search: [Google]
66432.jpg
90 KB, 445x600
What do you all think of the logical concept of possible worlds?

Is it an ideal measurement of necessity, or do you think there is a better system?
>>
>>1084219
Modal realism made anime real.
>>
>>1084219
>possible worlds
elaborate please
>>
>>1084224
http://www.philpapers.org/archive/sinPG/
>>
>>1084234
looks ending of interstellar tier dumb

I thought we'd be talking alternate universes and QPU alignment
>>
File: 7366.jpg (62 KB, 445x670) Image search: [Google]
7366.jpg
62 KB, 445x670
>>1084224
To boil it down, a statement can be true or false (which are self explanatory).
However, the idea adds in the properties of possible, or contingent truth value.

One classic example is, while it is contingently true that Aristotle was the teacher of Alexander, on a possible world (just think of it similar to an alternate dimension) perhaps Aristotle died when he was a baby, so he could not of been the teacher of Alexander.

However, while certain things may vary by what could of been, certain things are argued to be necessarily true, i.e. 2+2 will always equal 4, a triangle will have 3 sides, the husbands of widowers are dead, and etc.

This is a grounds by which some argue if a thing is necessarily exists (HAS to), or contingently (only for us).
>>
File: qpu tiers.jpg (244 KB, 1041x655) Image search: [Google]
qpu tiers.jpg
244 KB, 1041x655
>>1084260
QPU is pretty complex.
>>
>>1084266
>the husbands of widowers are dead
Only when gay.
>>
>>1084354
*spinsters

y-you know what i mean
>>
>>1084368
>y-you know what i mean
And now you're against gay marriage?
>>
But do the things from dimensions others than mine actual one actually exist?
>>
>>1084386
please stop bullying me

>>1084393
it's more of a thought experiment to judge where on the scale of necessity a thing may or nay not exist
>>
>>1084402
>Another thought experiment
I adore analytical philosophy, but there are way too much of those.

Anyway, if so, I fail to see a novelty in it, the very same thing's been discussed by Leibniz anyway.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.