[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would the world look like today if the mongols had never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Baghdad_150_to_300_AH[1].png (287 KB, 1805x1445) Image search: [Google]
Baghdad_150_to_300_AH[1].png
287 KB, 1805x1445
What would the world look like today if the mongols had never sacked Baghdad?

>largest city in the world, over 1 million people
>capital of knowledge, filled with science, maths, literature. the Tigris flowed black with ink when it was destroyed
>centre of trade between east and west, between Europe and China

If it was never destroyed, is it possible to think the middle east would not have slunk backwards and lapsed behind Europe in terms of development? Is it possible to think it would not be in the pitiful state it is today?
>>
>>1080355
The Mongols brought in an era of learnedness and prosperity though.

I mean yeah, burning Baghdad was a loss for humanity as a whole, but they improved things in the region on a grand scale.
>>
>>1080488
>Mongols brought in an era of learnedness and prosperity though
Maybe in Iran and inadvertently through the Mughals. But how can you say that slaughtering hundreds of thousands of middle-easterners good for the region?
>>
Nomads (Turks, Mongols) literally fucked up every place they went to. The reason the Islamic world fell behind is because it went from being led by Arabs and Persians to being led by Turco-Mongols.
>>
>>1080503
>But how can you say that slaughtering hundreds of thousands of middle-easterners good for the region
I didn't, I just said it happened regardless.
>>
>>1080488
>The Mongols brought in an era of learnedness and prosperity though.
Yeah, cuz everyone was dead
>>
>>1080513
How though?
>>
>>1080517
It turns out when you kill everyone, there's less people to start shit and fuck with trade.
>>
>>1080520
But the enormous Middle Eastern cities on the Silk Road where the centres of Medieval trade. Baghdad made Venice look like a backwater, especially at this point in history. Sacking it did not help trade, it destroyed it, and the impact on Muslim as a whole culture was equivalent to the destruction of the Temple to the Jews.
>>
>>1080531
Baghdad at this point in time was NOT a great city. It was completely fucked up, relations between Sunnis and Shias were today-tier.

Cairo was more important by then.
>>
>>1080541
It was still a culture center of great significance, and one of the economic and religious centers of the Muslim world. Cairo only became a truly important city after the Mamaluks stopped the Mongols, despite it's size and important role in the Near East.
>>
>>1080503
Because it is
>they would still be as dumb now, simply due to prolonged cousin marriage depressing IQs
>>
>>1080355
Mesopotamia deserves to be a wasteland desert. It's the Arab's faults for destroying all the forests and then mismanaging the irrigation canals. The Mongols just helped the collapse occur sooner.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.