[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was American freedom of religion the single worst thing to happen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Creationist_car.jpg (473 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
Creationist_car.jpg
473 KB, 2304x1728
Was American freedom of religion the single worst thing to happen for Christianity in the modern (post-medieval) world? I mean, there were some silly protestant sects in Europe, but things don't seem to have gone full retard until cults started getting their own little settlements in America.
>>
>>1076601
It was probably the coinciding French and American revolutions, both of which stressed a represented secular political system. The French I would say had more of an impact on this area specifically though
>>
>>1076601
>Was American freedom of religion the single worst thing to happen for Christianity

What exactly have creationists Christians done to Christianity thats so bad? They are kinda irrelevant and people only bring them up cause they are easy targets.
>>
>>1076601
Not really- chances are if the US was founded without freedom of religion or with a single state religion it would have just been one of those retarded cults and the same thing would have happened with even less room for the somewhat less retarded ones like quakers.
>>
>he's complaining about free entertainment
>>
I think freedom of religion was irrelevant. It was more the fact that all the crazy sects came over to the new world in the first place to avoid getting inevitably slaughtered in Europe.
>>
>>1076601
You have to understand the importance of comic relief in the modern world. Think of how boring life would be without people who decorate cars with their religious beliefs!
>>
>>1077105
Didn't many of the sects come over because the mother Church refused to slaugther other sects fast?
>>
>>1076601
The thing is, religious nutters who were too nutty for the old world came to America, where so long as your brand of nonsense is some iteration of Christianity, you can carve out a little industry for yourself.

So merica got all the rejects, all the heterodox crackpots, and all the spooks who were too edgy in their religion for the backward impoverished countries they left.

This had a compounding effect on religiosity in the United States, which combined with geographic isolation so little cults and denominations and sects of Christianity could prosper in an isolated cultural breeding ground.

The final product of this would be Mormonism, the Scientology of Christianity.

Mormonism is so far removed from reality and even biblical sense, that it become obvious the only place it could take root is in America.
>>
Secularism is the reason America is so devout. If the state tried enforcing religion on the people then Americans would have become just as jaded with religion as Europe.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.