[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How was he as a general, really? How was he as a president? How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
How was he as a general, really? How was he as a president? How did he become so unanimously popular?

It's hard to find informed opinion that don't seem like propaganda.
>>
>>1075959
>How was he as a general, really?

The Revolutionaries got wrecked in most battles against the Brits. The victory was more of a logistic strategy. Its why the Brits just invaded again in 1812.
>>
Much of the love and admiration for Washington seems to be based upon the fact that he was a genuinely moral man, an impression that was enhanced by the fact that he was very handsome, tall, and strong looking in his younger years. Modern scholarship downplays the importance of his military prowess in favor of emphasizing diplomacy and French aid but if he hadn't been so skillful at evading confrontation and dragging things out there never would have been a French alliance.
>>
File: Freemasonry washington_apron01.jpg (229 KB, 720x846) Image search: [Google]
Freemasonry washington_apron01.jpg
229 KB, 720x846
>>1075959
He won the war and was universally beloved.

That ought to tell you everything you need to know about how he was as a general and statesman.
>>
>>1075985
>he was a genuinely moral man

What about that expense account?
>>
>>1075959

>General
Mediocre, but he didn't lose the war or die so he did fine.

>President
Nothing spectacular, his biggest contribution was to deny a third term and set the precedent. He had such unanimous support from the could have probably seized power. But he didn't, so he was a good guy.

>How did he become so unanimously popular?
A good chunk of the revolutionaries were respected writers and newspaper men. Propaganda would have been the least of the worries.
>>
>>1075989
>That ought to tell you everything you need to know about how he was as a general and statesman.

That tells me almost nothing though.
>>
>>1075999
Being moral doesn't mean you're good with money. I've known total assholes with great credit.
>>
File: *tips trowel.jpg (666 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
*tips trowel.jpg
666 KB, 1280x800
>>1076009
So what does that tell you about what you need to know?
>>
>>1076011

It wasn't a matter of being "bad with money." Look it up. He scammed the colonies for massive sums to indulge a ridiculous lifestyle.
>>
>>1076023
>ask a question about history on a history forum
>"you don't need to know"

What's your game, lad?
>>
File: 33.jpg (9 KB, 152x225) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
9 KB, 152x225
>>1076039
(You) could say I'm a collector of sorts.
>>
>>1075959
>How did he become so unanimously popular?
People love a Cincinnatus.
>>
>how was he as a general

Pretty blah. Hated his own men. Not a lot of experience or training. Biggest victories came with a lot of help. Never showed any particular genius for strategy. Like other major officers of the time, he got the job because he was rich and aristocratic, not because of merit.

>how was he as president.

Pretty good. It's not so much as his policies. But he knew he'd be a major figurehead and he knew it was important for him to set the tone for his predecessors. He wielded an enormous amount of good will from both politicians and the public, and he used it responsibly. A more egotistical and less competent person could have really screwed it up. I guess you could say Washington did a great job by just not screwing up, which I think might be more important and harder than it sounds.

>how did he become so unanimously popular

Cult of personality. He was the commander-in-chief (because he was a rich aristocrat that got very lucky), and because he won. Therefore, he was a hero. Therefore, everybody loved him, and to this day they worship him like some kind of saint. And, oddly because of that, he ended up doing a good job because of it. Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, I guess?
>>
>>1076027
Uh, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

He was born rich, married into an even richer family, and most of his money came from private business. It was the slave business, but still private. He didn't particularly care for public service, and most of his thoughts were about going back to his private farm.

Now, indeed, he was a shrewd business man. He was always looking for investment opportunities. He went back "west" to Pennsylvania, and bought up a lot of land for speculation, hoping that settlers would migrate out there, and he could sell it for more than he had bought it for. And he was interested in building canals, the highways of their time, and he sought both private and public investment into canal building, but that was something that would have risen all ships, and everybody would have gotten a return on their investment (ideally, some of the ventures failed.) But none of those were scams.

As for the colonies paying him money, the single biggest issue was getting the colonies to pay for the money they had promised the officers of the Revolutionary War. Something the Colonies had promised, and reneged on. I don't see how that can be described as a scam at all. If anything, Washington paid a lot of the officers what they were owed out of his own pockets, simply to avoid more violence.
>>
>>1076110
>Uh, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

So why don't you Google it instead of rambling on for three irrelevant paragraphs?
>>
File: tfw.gif (546 KB, 278x227) Image search: [Google]
tfw.gif
546 KB, 278x227
>>1076602
For the same reason you're still posting.
>>
File: Yahweh.jpg (117 KB, 450x566) Image search: [Google]
Yahweh.jpg
117 KB, 450x566
>>1076079
>Hated his own men
can you saucce me on this? or at least elaborate.
>>
>>1076602
You're the one claiming he scammed people, post a source kiddo.
>>
>General

Decent. He was personally brave and was good at choosing subordinates (with some notable exceptions). He also ran a good intelligence operation. Tactically he was average, but given his situation it's to be expected he wouldn't win much even if he was a good general.

>President

Outstanding. He set all the good precedents that helped create a stable nation and used the federal government just enough to keep unity without going to far.
>>
>>1076736
I don't have any sources, sorry.

Washington served as a colonel in the British Army, where he led highly trained professional for-life soldiers.

When he led the Continental Army these were all scrappy, untrained volunteers that were constantly leaving to go back to their jobs, and in general had none of the discipline he expected.

And he regularly complained about them in his letters. And it wasn't the sort of complaints like "Well these guys lack training and discipline, but they're trying their damndest and they're taking on the most powerful army in the world. They've got real fighting spirit, even if they're the underdogs, and I love them for it."

You could really tell he just plain despised them and he hated they were what he had to work with.
>>
>>1076079
>Not a lot of experience or training.
Except he had a fuck ton of experience and proper training and you know, being heavily involved in the French-Indian War.
>>
>>1076078
This nigga got it right. Even I love a Cincinnatus
>>
>>1076796
>Outstanding. He set all the good precedents that helped create a stable nation
This pretty much. Other popular revolutions have ended with far more corrupt post-war governments. He didn't go full Stalin or anything.
>>
>>1075959
Mediocre

>President
Utter shit and quite literally Hamiltons sock puppet.

>unanimously popular
Supposedly he had an electric personality, but as the General of the Army during the Revolution, he could've had the charisma of a damp rag and still been the first President.
>>
>>1075959
He was great at retreating which isn't an insult. Being able to keep his army together during what would be an otherwise chaotic time shows great leadership.
>>
>>1075959
If there were two things he could do right it was drill an army and run an effective retreat
>>
>>1078758
Horse shit.
>>
File: 454.png (64 KB, 900x945) Image search: [Google]
454.png
64 KB, 900x945
>>1075985
>he was very handsome
>>
It cannot be emphasized enough how important it is that Washington stepped down after two terms. To voluntarily give up the kind of power he had amassed is nearly unheard of. That alone makes him a great man.
>>
>>1079721
we would have been better off if he didn't tho
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.