[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Modern Russia blob so hard?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 18
File: 1458606480286.jpg (2 MB, 3644x2257) Image search: [Google]
1458606480286.jpg
2 MB, 3644x2257
Why did Modern Russia blob so hard?
>>
>>1074996
-30% to coring cost is one of their national ideas
>>
Are you implying that it is multiculturism fault? Perhaps even leftists are responsible?
>>
>>1074996
Because Paradox are hacks who can't into late game design.
>>
>>1074996
Saved your image OP. Please PLEASE post more like this if you have any
>>
File: russiasrealsize.png (1 MB, 1473x1198) Image search: [Google]
russiasrealsize.png
1 MB, 1473x1198
Because the vast majority of Russia is just inhabitable tundra.

Pretty much anything east of the Volga is pretty much nothing.

In the real world, the only part of Russia that matters is only as large as Ukraine, Belarus and the Baltics put together.

If you counted Russia as only the part of the country that actually mattered/developed in some capacity, Russia as a country would look pretty much like this and even this is being generous.
>>
>>1075038
Sorry I got it from here.
Maybe google National Geographic posters or something.
>>
>>1075039
>anything east of the Volga is pretty much nothing.
>what is Novosibirsk, Ekaterinburg, Chelyabinsk, Tomsk, Kazan, Ufa, Orenburg etc.
>why oldest European stone castle in Asia is in Tobolsk of all places
>why major steel works east of Rhein area were in the Urals
>what is Mangazeia and why it was the richest place in Christian world - before it burned down after local greed for soft gold became insane, that is
>why Germans, Japs and Chinks are jelly of Siberia

You know nothing of Russia yet dare type with your crooked fingers these excuses for opinion. Clearly your cerebral ganglia are too minuscule to comprehend the world that Russia is.

>>1074996
>modern
No. Modern Russia is a rump of a rump of an Empire. Hardly a blob. Ask next time we resettle Vancouver island or something.
>why
Because living on a plain open from literally all sides is dangerous as fuck. The only way to secure oneself was to push until natural barriers large enough were discovered and staked.
Southern natural border of Russia would be Khorasan and Hundukush, eastern - the Pacific Ocean and mountains of Stanovoy range and Khingan, northern - the Ice ocean.
Only West remained insecure, hence Russia was invaded 4 times in 200 years, many more times even earlier.
So the only logical point would be to slowly push Russia to Ardennes-Alps-Carpathians etc., Russifying or expelling all the pesky threats like Poles and Germans and other peoples that dared to attack us.
When we will be surrounded by mountains as good as the Pamir, Khingan, Carpathian, Caucasus or Alpine range or oceans, we will finally be safe.
>>
>>1075330
>>what is Novosibirsk, Ekaterinburg, Chelyabinsk, Tomsk, Kazan, Ufa, Orenburg etc.
Literally "what is" any of those things...
>>
>>1075335
> what is Stalingrad
I heard there was a some battle of something.
>>
>>1075340
>what is stalingrad

Something that neither poster mentioned?
>>
File: Russian Chinese Couple.jpg (31 KB, 469x378) Image search: [Google]
Russian Chinese Couple.jpg
31 KB, 469x378
>>1075330
>Chinks & Japs
>Jelly of Siberia
M8 those fucks make mad dosh selling cheap products to Siberians while simultaneously making Siberian industry shit.

Russia is developing that land while the E. Asians are reaping the benefits. So by all means, let Russia own it to Russia's expense.

In addition to drunk alcoholic Sibero-Russian men driving local women to marry Chinks & Nips across the border
>>
>>1075351
Yeah. If Siberia was worth it chink would just settle it like thousands years ago.
>>
>>1075335
Not him or even a Russian but Novosibirsk has like 2 million people in it, hardly an irrelevant literally who city.
>>
>>1075340
The fuck does Volgograd have to do with any of that.
>>
>>1075362
Siberia has some of the largest oil, gas, gold and coal reserves on Earth. You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
File: Yakut National Costumes.jpg (71 KB, 449x600) Image search: [Google]
Yakut National Costumes.jpg
71 KB, 449x600
>>1075362
The Yuan Mongols actually did try develop the land by sending Chinese colonists and officials.

The Chinese instead went native and intermarried with the Sibir tribes. Though they did manage to build a road before succumbing to hallucinogens, Yakut women, and reindeer herding comfyness.
>>
>>1075363
Probably my fault for not knowing anything about Russia.

Also general questions what if anything do Russians think of the term "White Ruthenia"?
>>
>>1075371
>Siberia has some of the largest oil, gas, gold and coal reserves on Earth
And absolutely no infrastructure to get it out. Even if the infrastructure existed, it would be so costly to upkeep it wouldn't be worth it. It's the same reason the Chinese let the Tarim Basin wallow despite it's oil and gas deposits.
>>
>>1075379
>White Ruthenia
You mean Belarus?
>>
>this one mad russaboo trying to pretend that his country has any worth
>>
File: antartica arboles.jpg (21 KB, 500x405) Image search: [Google]
antartica arboles.jpg
21 KB, 500x405
>>1075371
> Siberia has some of the largest oil, gas, gold and coal reserves on Earth.
You know what else have huge reserves?
>>
>>1075387
Belarusians are like Russians, except white.

Yes I know the "Bela" in Belarus means something else, but they really seem to be of better racial stock than Russians from Russia.
>>
>>1075390
Russia done at least more than Mexico.
>>
>>1075330
>>So the only logical point would be to slowly push Russia to Ardennes-Alps-Carpathians etc.
lol at these delusions.

You aren't doing shit against nato members ivan, you'll get rekt if you even try.
>>
>>1075399
Sadly Baltics would be rekt in like one day before NATO would be even able to act.
>>
>>1075335
I've seen several threads where Europeans tried to map the USA by memory, and the Americans tried to place European countries on Europe blank map.
It was horrible for both sides. Russians and British did a bit better than others, just as Americans (except literal retards) knew what and where Britain and Russia are, but most things between Germany and Russia were black hole of unknown to them, just as most Euro posters didn't give a single fuck about differences between Iowa and South Dakota, much less their placement and history.

So, there is a limit to how much some 4chan normie can remember and care about a world around him, except his own country.
Don't get me wrong, I know Russian people that generally aren't retards in life yet can't distinguish between Ekaterinburg and Chelyabinsk, much less place them on a blank and tell some things about each city of many centuries of history. Well, this is the reason Russia was called a world in itself, due to very size being a bit hard even for a Russian to keep in mind.

Being big and important German empire and neighbouring something the size of 40 German Empires combined must be intimidating for sure. So there appear memes like "Russia is nothing beyond Volga, only bears, ice and Mongols, they are small like us for reals", Russian being too big and scary to comprehend as is. This leads to many retard decisions with following consequences, like several divisions of Germany, for example.

For example, the area from Kazan to Novosibirsk is the size of ~5 modern Germanies, and while being noticeably less populated (Germany is long overpopulated, anyway, France or Spain might have been better examples), it is still around Poland or Romania or US Midwest in population density and importance.
>>
File: worldmap v05s.jpg (2 MB, 4190x2250) Image search: [Google]
worldmap v05s.jpg
2 MB, 4190x2250
>Making a D&D world
>have a funky idea
>what if... no russia?
>feel super smug

I can't help it.
>>
To my knowledge, they only started expanding during the 16-18th century from Ivan IV's rule. How the fuck did they have the population to substain all that land? I mean I know that it was far too remote for any European to steal nor did any of the oriential powers wanted it, but still. That was pre-industrialization, and a large portion of Russia's population should have been made up of the natives they subjected. How did they managed all that land without revolt and massive balkanization?
>>
>>1075406
>Iowa and South Dakota
Is there any difference. For Americans I mean?
>>
>>1075394
It wasn't called White Russia for nothing by the Tsars. Either way, your post is fucking stupid and that's not why it was called White Russia. I bet you think Ukrainians are all midgets compared to ethnic Russians since they're referred to as Little Russians.
>>
>>1075415
>Either way, your post is fucking stupid and that's not why it was called White Russia.
I literally said exactly that. Are you illiterate or just pretending?
>>
>>1075424
>but they really seem to be of better racial stock than Russians from Russia
Wew lad.

>>>/pol/ is that way.
>>
>>1075383
>And absolutely no infrastructure to get it out.
Why the fuck would we build infrastructure to divert our resources to China of all places?
Go eat a dog, Siberian resources are transported by the longest land transportation highway in existence to Russian Europe just fine.

>>1075394
I'm Belarusian-Polish-Lithuanian Tatar mongrel living in Moscow, so I know it well from ~20 years spent there.
Belarus to Russia is something like Ohio to general USA or Auvergne to France or something. A bit culturally retarded place of average economic significance, yet cosy and interesting in its own right. A place of post-WWI nation-building that failed from very start (Ukrainian pseudo-nation lingered until now).
Being headed by Gypsy pseudo-communist dictator complicates things though.

>>1075399
There's nothing to be afraid of, relax.
Finland was quite cosy in Russian Empire and jettisoned itself only seeing Bolshevik degeneracy.
>>
>>1075335
Big cities east of volga you ignoramus.
>>
>>1075435
Ohio has the 7th biggest economy in the US.
>>
>>1075435
>Siberian resources are transported by the longest land transportation highway in existence to Russian Europe just fine
>unpaved road that is nigh impassable in the spring and fall
>potholes several feet deep are common
>just fine
Poccия пoжaлyйcтa. Your infrastructure is a fucking nightmare.
>>
File: tetris.jpg (164 KB, 1280x996) Image search: [Google]
tetris.jpg
164 KB, 1280x996
>>1075406
American here, this is the best I can do.
>>
>>1075435
Belarus is the most cucked nation in the history of this planet, or perhaps on par with Ireland. Belarusian is literally a minority language in Belarus, you can't make this shit up.
>>
File: 5uAdmKX[1].png (120 KB, 448x454) Image search: [Google]
5uAdmKX[1].png
120 KB, 448x454
>>1075449
>>
>>1075449
And Belarus reannexed would be 2nd economic region of Russia. Yet possessing only third-to-half economy of Moscow.
Moscow distorts everything heavily, yeah. So maybe I overshot a bit, Belarus would be something like New York state economically but without the NYC culture and influence to Russia.
And Ukraine would be some California or Texas to USA, however severely looted, corrupt and dying on its own after two decades of secession, plagued by Aztlan-tier nationalism.
>>
>>1075442
>wikipedia each of them
>it turns out they are real cities

Huh, weird.
>>
>>1075497
7th out of 50 isn't "average economic importance", it's well above average.
>>
>>1075405
Doesn't matter as the Russian forces would be ejected from the baltics by the US military.

>>1075435
Tell that to the finns, the poles and all the little peoples of eastern europe that had to put up with the ivans for hundreds of years.
>>
>>1075406
>I know Russian people that generally aren't retards in life yet can't distinguish between Ekaterinburg and Chelyabinsk

Because there is no difference. Language reforms in the 19th century pretty much erased all Russian dialects (excluding shit like Kuban) and after that the communist practice of hoarding peasants into the cities full of factories and copypasted commieblocks resulted in bland uniformity and cultural desert. I could teleport you from Smolensk to Khabarovsk and you wouldn't even notice it's a different city.
>>
>>1075478
>no cultured and important Czechia
>Albania-or-Serbia wtf
>Sweden and Norway switched places
>no Finland, so lonely
You tried, Johnny, you tried valiantly. The Western Europe is fine, as always, with North being murky and South-East a black hole - the same pattern.
I can easily place all the US states names on their borders, but drawing from blank I'm sure to come up with something like your pic with big hole in Midwest.
So, you see, there are limits to how much precise regional information one normie shitposter could and would bother to keep in his head.
>>
File: USA.png (289 KB, 1244x763) Image search: [Google]
USA.png
289 KB, 1244x763
>>1075478
European here, this is the best I can do.
>>
>>1075478
>2016
>He can't name all European countries by heart.
It's the smallest continent too.
>>
>>1075533
The font really helps to sell the whole thing.
>>
File: africa[1].png (11 KB, 590x752) Image search: [Google]
africa[1].png
11 KB, 590x752
>>1075540

Let's DO THIS
>>
>>1075546
Angola.
>>
>>1075529
Even as an American I don't think I could draw the state borders from scratch either.
>>
>>1075478
>Benelux and Netherlands being separate

Do you even know what the "ne" in "Benelux" stands for you fucking retard?
>>
>>1075523
You know Khabarovsk in on Amur river, right? I will know I'm either on Yenisey or Amur river the moment I get to the shore line and take a look. Plus Khabarovsk has a large monument to, you know, Khabarov, somewhere close to train station or somewhere other central place.
The climate is insane too (I know a guy who resettled from Khabarovsk to Rostov-on-Don, and then to Moscow).

You're right about all new cities and outer rim of any other, but the centres are still discernible.
After rouble fell twice I couldn't tour across Europe any longer and switched to inter-Russian tourism. Old cities are still discernable, as do traditional cultural regions, especially if natives are present. Kazan is GOAT, for example.
>>
>>1075555
I do now.
>>
>>1075533
>Washington?
>Oregon
>tfw Oregonfag
thanks for remembering my shitty state
>>
>>1075412
Bumping for answer.
>>
>>1075412
>>1075578
Part of it had to do with the semi-free movement of serfs after Ivan Grozny's law was abolished (or just on the specific day where serfs could leave and go wherever before the law was abolished). The new lands gave enticing benefits to serfs. The other part of it is that Russia had a lot of fucking revolts between the 17th century and the Soviet era.
>>
File: africa.png (49 KB, 590x752) Image search: [Google]
africa.png
49 KB, 590x752
>>1075546
easy
>>
File: russian+fairy+tales.png (562 KB, 726x649) Image search: [Google]
russian+fairy+tales.png
562 KB, 726x649
>itt
>>
File: Russian-tries-to-blank-draw-USA.png (121 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
Russian-tries-to-blank-draw-USA.png
121 KB, 1500x1125
>>1075478
>>
>>1075413
>Iowa
Nothing but cornfields, pastures. More populated, mostly whites.
>South Dakota
Black hills, mount Rushmore, some Native Americans (Sioux). Less populated.

I probably only know that much because I have family in SD and have visited a few times. Most people probably don't know much, like that's where mt. Rushmore is.
>>
>>1075557
Kazan is a shithole full of immense crime and corruption where some oilnigger Tatar oligarchs built a bunch of kitschy gypsy-tier palaces and now they're pretending they're first world.
>>
>>1075413
South Dakota is nothing but poor paint-huffing Injuns, rednecks, cowboys and Mount Rushmore. There's literally nothing else.
>>
>>1075706
pretty close
>>
File: impressive.jpg (13 KB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
impressive.jpg
13 KB, 640x272
>>1075706
Very nice.
>>
>>1075723
But that's Kazan 10 years ago. Am I mistaking?
Sure some 2 centuries old buildings are left to collapse wedged between two restored building right on one of central streets of the city, and part of Kazan over the Kazanka is some Nouveau Commiebloque district, but it looked way better than, say, Moscow eastern suburbs. Universiade must have changed it for the better.
>>
File: sdasadsa.png (265 KB, 1200x1142) Image search: [Google]
sdasadsa.png
265 KB, 1200x1142
How did I do? American here
>>
>>1075821
You didn't draw it so it doesn't count and you have spoiled the thread for future attempts
>>
File: 1455603682122.jpg (64 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1455603682122.jpg
64 KB, 540x540
>>1075842
>Original topic: Why Russia has retained so many of their unique cultures
>>
>>1074996
>Why did Modern Russia blob so hard?

USSR tried to co-opt nationalism instead of smashing it. Poverty and bad infrastructure also prevented the unification of language.

The fact Ukrainians and Belarussians even exist as ethnic groups is proof of the failure of Russia. There are Italian dialects that were less mutually intelligible and whose speakers looked more different and had more different customs, yet Italy wrapped that shit up.
>>
>>1075848
>everyone drew it except for Africa
>we're supposed to suck your dick when you not only posted a map of Europe thus spoiling future tries at drawing attempts but failed naming all of the states
Fuck off, Tom.
>>
File: 1462160970783.png (1 MB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1462160970783.png
1 MB, 1024x1024
>>1075821
If you get the boarders for free then anyone could fill in the map.
>>
>>1075442
>Big
He may be a tard but population wise like what 1/4th is east of the Volga?
>>
>>1074996
They did it in waves of blobbing, each successive wave being pushed by some new policy. First it was the consolidation of Rus kingdoms. Then it was the push to vassalize the Golden Horde remnants. Then it was a crusade towards Astrakhan and absorption of the Volga basin. Then it was following the trade routes from Astrakhan and fortifying and colonizing along the way. Then it was the fur trade working up the rivers of Siberia with outposts. Then it was the Great Game with Britain into Central Asia.
>>
>>1075533
>Dallas

kek
>>
>>1075371
nice sources
>>
>>1075426
so is tumblr
>>
File: 1460376878924.png (563 KB, 730x621) Image search: [Google]
1460376878924.png
563 KB, 730x621
>>1075393
Antarctica treaty makes it illegal to drill there you mong
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.