[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HRE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5
File: HRE.png (83 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
HRE.png
83 KB, 600x400
I'm sick of this
>H
>R
>E
meme.

>Holy
The Emporer was indeed crowned by the pope, right?

>Roman
This is the only thing that you can meme about

>Empire
Dictionary definition; 1.an extensive group of states or countries ruled over by a single monarch, an oligarchy, or a sovereign state:

The HRE was both Holy, and an Empire. Dunno about the >Roman
part though.
>>
File: 1461273437879.png (74 KB, 190x205) Image search: [Google]
1461273437879.png
74 KB, 190x205
>>1073511
>>
>>1073511
>eternal anglos
>we wuz romans n shiet
>>
File: z4.png (4 MB, 1778x2014) Image search: [Google]
z4.png
4 MB, 1778x2014
>>
File: prussian freak.jpg (75 KB, 960x726) Image search: [Google]
prussian freak.jpg
75 KB, 960x726
>>1073511
>ruled over by a single monarch, an oligarchy, or a sovereign state
nope
>>
File: 47814181221.jpg (51 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
47814181221.jpg
51 KB, 850x400
>>
>>1073511
>Holy
If you know anything about the history of HRE you'll know why thats so funny. The HREmperors would go to war with the pope and only slap on the "Holy" title as propaganda. And lets not forget this area is the birthplace of protestantism.

>Roman
You already know.

>Empire
>an extensive group of states or countries ruled over by a single monarch

The title of Emperor was purely ceremonial a few centuries in. And if the Hapsburg hadn't married into Burgundy, Spain and Bohemia Hungary, the Empire would have ended with the reformation.
>>
>>1073511
>Voltaire's remark that the Holy Roman Empire "was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire" is accurate to the degree that it ignores[16] German rule over Italian, French, Provençal, Polish, Flemish, Dutch, and Bohemian populations, and the efforts of the ninth-century Holy Roman Emperors (i.e., the Ottonians) to establish central control. Voltaire's "... nor an empire" observation applies to its late period.
>>
>>1073535
Why was Voltaire such a smug dick?
>>
>>1073511
>This is the only thing that you can meme about
Could be Roman in the sense of culture, not the city. All of Europe carries on Roman traditions and culture.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.