[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which colonial power was the least destructive and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
Which colonial power was the least destructive and why?
>>
>>1067507
The Germans because they had the least colonies of the major powers and didn't do shit with it. (No good or bad).
>>
>>1067507
Denmark?
>>
Duchy of Courland-Semigallia
>>
>>1067507
The Mongols
>>
>>1067507
British
>>
>>1067562
>aborigines
>indians
>>1067507
French, at least they pretended it was for humanitarian reasons
>>
>>1067521
You're in high school, I hope

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_and_Namaqua_Genocide
>>
>>1067562
Is that some joke?
Their four successful colonies are successful because locals were wiped out (actively or as a side effect) and replaced with whites
>>
Russia
>>
Germany
>>
>>1067677
The Caucasian wars, the Circassian genocide, massacres of indigenous Siberians, and if we count places like Poland or Ukraine that opens an entirely separate can of worms

>>1067534 is the correct answer, or some other irrelevant meme country with meme colonies (like Germany)
>>
Austria-Hungary, their only colonial posession was some Arctic meme island where only seals and fish live.
>>
>>1067562
Wrong, they were some of the worst of the bunch. They're only ethical when compared to legitimate fascists.
>>
>>1067507
>Austria-Hungary counts as colonial empire
>Qing China does not
>>
>>1067534
/thread
>>
>>1067933
Generally, Colonialism is different from Imperialism because Empires do involve subject races into the whole Empire while colonialists are big on differentiation and othering.

....which doesnt really explain Austria-Hungary, Turkey, being colonial powers while Qing China isn't. Shit map.
>>
Italy's colonies weren't THAT badly treated, I mean they invested a lot into Libya and Eritrea, Abolished Slavery.
>>
>>1067507
The Portuguese.
>>
>>1067507
Either Oman or Denmark.
>>
>>1067507
Belgium, because all the bad stuff happened when the Congo was technically not Belgian
>>
Italia
>>
Wait, Flipland was an american colony? I thought it was a spanish colony?
>>
>>1070941
We took it over in the Spanish American War
>>
>>1070941
We took it during the Spanish-American War and held onto it until after WW2. We probably would've held onto it longer, but with Japan and South Korea as de facto colonies, we no longer needed it so we gave them independence.
>>
>>1070941
The Flips flipped from Philip's hands to ours
>>
>>1067529
Im from Denmark, and my sister lived on Greenland for a half year.
Rumours said that sometimes rich danes would use the native to pull their sledge, like dogs.

Other than that nothing really.
>>
>>1067711
Are you autistic or something
>>
File: Bait1.png (55 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
Bait1.png
55 KB, 625x626
>>1070867
>>
>>1070906
DING DONG YOUR OPINION IS WRONG
>>
>>1067507
Ottomans i think.
>>
Probably either the Dutch or Portugese powers

Learning more towards the Dutch to be honest
>>
File: 1381815480963.png (710 KB, 955x757) Image search: [Google]
1381815480963.png
710 KB, 955x757
>>1070941
Why do you think there were US troops in the Philippines before WWII to go on the Bataan death march?
>>
>>1071475
>What is Armenia
>>
>>1067529
It's not completely fair to compare us with any of the major colonial powers I think.
>>
>>1067507
I think Ottoman. For the most part they treated their subjects well and fairly.
>>
>>1071483
Portuguese were horrible to the Brazilian natives, even the French treated them better.
>>
>>1067534
> In 1655 the Swedish army entered the territory of the Duchy and the Swedish–Polish war (1655–60) had begun. The Swedish army captured Duke Jacob (1658–60). During this period, the Dutch took over both of Courland's colonies, and the merchant fleet and factories suffered destruction. This war ended with the peace Treaty of Oliwa (1660). Courland regained Tobago on the basis of the treaty and held it until 1689. Duke Jacob set about restoring the fleet and factories, but the Duchy of Courland never again reached its pre-war level of prosperity.

Pretty sad that someone could just occupy your country and bring down everything you and your ancestors have worked for
>>
>>1070799
Nah they did a Fuckton of fucked up shit in Libya and Eritrea/Ethiopia
>>
File: 121399293.jpg (40 KB, 699x637) Image search: [Google]
121399293.jpg
40 KB, 699x637
>>1071777
>>
>>1067507
Danes.
>>
File: lm-p-chagas-para-poente.jpg (233 KB, 800x462) Image search: [Google]
lm-p-chagas-para-poente.jpg
233 KB, 800x462
>>1067507
I would say the Portuguese.

The Ottomans and Oman could be cited as well, but their context was different.
>>
You're not going to find a real "benevolent" colonial power here OP, just about every one did horrible shit.

But the British, at least, tried to hold sustainable colonies. It wasn't just a parasitic existence of resource extraction like the Spanish or Belgians.
>>
>>1072787
Even then they fucked up a lot of shit in the best of cases.

IN Eritrea they basically like Gypsies strippign a building full of copper and took every single piece of Italian thing they could take to their other colonies that wasn't bolted to the ground when they finished their short tenure of running the place.
>>
>>1067711
They also had like, three city blocks in China.
>>
>>1072367
Did help that the Libyan Bedouins just kept fucking rebelling. Yeah, I'm not saying they were good, I'm saying they weren't as bad as fucking Belgium
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.